Poll: Part of the Game or Cheap Shot - Louisville vs BYU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Part of the Game or Cheap Shot - Louisville vs BYU

Part of the Game or Cheap Shot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the things I loved about Caroline Doty was she was not going to let L'ville pull that crap in the NC. Early on in that game she sent a message.

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of brutal, moving screens, that have targeted players. Never, of course, by Dolson. Never, of course, by Jess Moore. Never, of course, by Bam Bam. Ask their opposition or the officials....

It's a fine line between being physical and headhunting. Mostly it depends on which side of the pick/screen you're on.

I would call this video over the line and worth a flagrant 2. Felt the same thing about how Jess handled Kelly Mazzante.

It was Barb Turner that handled Mazzante.

Reaction Score
I agree with those who have no respect for Jeff Walz. I remember the Baylor game two years ago in every detail. I do not love Baylor and think that Kim Mulkey is a pretty poor sport herself, but the assault on Brittney Griner was outrageous. The refs proved themselves completely incompetent, and Walz a thug for coaching that strategy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought they played a really physical game against Baylor and the refs let them get away with it. I had no problem with that because it was physical but it was basketball.

This is different, this is a sucker punch thrown with a shoulder/forearm/whatever and had nothing to do with basketball - bumping cutting players is one thing, hacking them while shooting is one thing - this was back street mugging.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was a terrible incident compounded by Walz's lack of concern for the streetball attitude of one of his star players. I echo the sentiments that she should at least be benched for the next game, but even if he "did" that, it would be just to please the critics. I could imagine the conversation would go like this:

"Mariya - due to public pressure I need to keep you on the bench for our next game, but between you and me, nice job!"

Reaction Score
Just read a story in Louisville paper...tells mr that Walz doesn't get it or doesn't care. Walz said "They’re college kids...Nobody is trying to hurt anybody. You get caught up in the emotion of the game, and sometimes you make a decision that is like, ‘Gosh, that was pretty stupid.’

WRONG

It wasn't stupid...it was vicious and deliberate...period.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just read a story in Louisville paper...tells mr that Walz doesn't get it or doesn't care. Walz said "They’re college kids...Nobody is trying to hurt anybody. You get caught up in the emotion of the game, and sometimes you make a decision that is like, ‘Gosh, that was pretty stupid.’

WRONG

Walz didn't condone the shot - he said it was stupid of her. And I don't think the Louisville kid woke up that morning thinking, "I'm going to try to hurt someone".

By the way, found this in a Utah newspaper:

Judkins' team came out swinging in the second half, to which Louisville responded, quite literally.

The teams exchanged blows early and often during the final period, most notably when Louisville's Mariya Moore laid her shoulder into BYU's Makenzi Morrison's jaw, drawing a flagrant foul at the 18:53 minute mark of the second half. Morrison was noticeably shaken up by the play, but was able to convert on both foul shots.

The next few minutes saw BYU's Lexi Eaton respond with some physical play of her own, including at least two hard elbows as if to respond to the increased intensity

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of brutal, moving screens, that have targeted players. Never, of course, by Dolson. Never, of course, by Jess Moore. Never, of course, by Bam Bam. Ask their opposition or the officials....
It's a fine line between being physical and headhunting. Mostly it depends on which side of the pick/screen you're on.
I would call this video over the line and worth a flagrant 2. Felt the same thing about how Jess handled Kelly Mazzante.
Yeah, but she DESERVED it! :cool:

(Menendez defense)

Reaction Score

WRONG

Wow. Walz said that? :eek:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Did you watch the clip? Her arms are straight down the whole time. She didn't throw a punch or forearm. I don't know how the "throwing a punch" rules are written, but I think they would be hard pressed to suspend her for "throwing a punch(forearm)."

Octavius Ellis of the Cincinnati men was called for a Flagrant 2 and tossed from their first round game for what was essentially the same type of motion. Throwing an elbow that was for all intents and purposes a punch. Same penalty should have been applied to Moore.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/octavius-ellis-will-play-tomorrow/

Reaction Score
She should have been ejected from the game for throwing a punch and suspended from the NCAAs. A game can be chippy but delivering forearm shivers to a person's chest/neck area is definitely a suspension - nothing accidental, not part of a tussle, just an out and out sucker punch.

It would not surprise me if the NCAA is looking into it. In fact I would be surprised if they aren't!
Be prepared to be surprised.

Reaction Score
Very disturbing. My vote is cheap shot x 3. That was nasty. She should not have been allowed to stay in the game by the refs or her coach. Second, In the past, I started to suspect that Waltz panders to his recruits and players. My opinion of him has been damaged beyond repair. That is a weak man.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Again, we are not trashing high school players that have not played a college game.

Reaction Score
Very disturbing. My vote is cheap shot x 3. That was nasty. She should not have been allowed to stay in the game by the refs or her coach. Second, In the past, I started to suspect that Waltz panders to his recruits and players. My opinion of him has been damaged beyond repair. That is a weak man.
I think Walz does condone this type of behavior. This isn't just an isolated incident. They are encouraged to play physical, and that can easily cross over into being dirty.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Walz does condone this type of behavior. This isn't just an isolated incident. They are encouraged to play physical, and that can easily cross over into being dirty.
Louisville has always been a very physical team, always. UConn used to push them back just as hard. Do I think the shot the kid took was unwarranted and unsportsmanlike? Yes, I do but I do not think Jeff Walz told any kid on his team to make an unsportsmanlike play.

Reaction Score
Louisville has always been a very physical team, always. UConn used to push them back just as hard. Do I think the shot the kid took was unwarranted and unsportsmanlike? Yes, I do but I do not think Jeff Walz told any kid on his team to make an unsportsmanlike play.

But he does think it is ok to make one or he would have sat her down for a talking to. Also his quote from the newspaper seems to be the old "boys will be boys" type philosophy, in other words he doesn't care because they are just college kids.

Reaction Score

WRONG

Okay so nobody is trying to hurt anybody? She just got caught up in the emotion of the game and made a stupid decision to.....try and hurt someone. :confused:

Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I think that this was on the line between a flagrant one and a flagrant two. The fact that her arms were straight down suggests that she was trying to play within the confines of the game to me. Bumping cutters IS part of the game; if Moore's shoulder doesn't connect with the other players head, this would be just a foul and no one would be talking about it. Based on the video, I think she was just taking a normal part of the game, and going overboard with it. I wouldn't be wailing about the injustice of it all if she had gotten ejected, but it is way easier to get caught up in the game in this way than people seem to be giving her credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom