Poll on the Syracuse Board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll on the Syracuse Board

Reaction Score
Syracuse is in okay shape. I think Red is a good coach. And I saw they were playing man-to-man defense the other night.

But that choice is silly, no one wants to be in the NIT.
been watching a lot of Cuse this year because daughter might be going there next year - the team got a lot better via subtraction when Red kicked Benny Williams out of the program. Problem now is they have no real paint presence, and there's way too much hero ball with Mintz.

Reaction Score
I'm always curious why people don't want their team to play in the NIT if it is an option. If you are going to return a good portion of your roster next year it seems to me playing in a single elimination tournament with likely fairly evenly matched teams would be good experience for your team.
If you aren't returning most of your roster I could see skipping it.

Reaction Score
To be fair, were the roles reversed half this board would probably vote for a #1 Syracuse losing an 8/9 game over UConn winning the NIT after missing the big dance.

Obviously I pose a hypothetical, as that situation appears highly unlikely if not impossible for the foreseeable future ... :cool:
Don’t disagree with this. To the folks that remember the good times, winning the NIT probably barely registers. It’s just less sad than not winning the NIT.

Reaction Score
When you're used to contending for the national championship, then I can understand not getting excited for the NIT. When you're on the NCAA bubble every year and haven't contended for a national championship in decades, then I would think that the NIT would be fun.

Reaction Score
the NIT ain’t what it used to be. It’s like a bowl game for 6-6 teams where some teams actually decline an invite and some players will sit out because it’s not worth the potential for injury if there’s no title involved.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Perhaps this should be in its own thread, but check out this thread on the Cuse board - kid clearly got the shot off in time. Very strange officiating there.

I saw a weird quote after the fact. They won't over turn because video review isn't within the rules. But that's EXACTLY how the final shot was over turned.

Reaction Score
Yes. And wrong.
I don't know that they are a lock based on the new selection criteria . . .

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.
Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.
Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament's 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee's evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first-round hosts, with deference given to the "first four teams out" of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. Additional teams from the six conferences with automatic qualifications are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.

Reaction Score

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.

This is dumb. One of the redeeming things about the NIT was that regular season champs of one-bid leagues could at least go to the NIT if they lost in the conference tournament.
Instead, just what we need: the 11th place ACC team vs 12th place from the B12.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But that choice is silly, no one wants to be in the NIT.
True, but if they are going to keep score; you might as well try to win. Teams approach the NIT depending on where their program is at a given time. If the team had hopes for the Dance, the NIT is little consolation. If you are a team trying to work your way up like Cuse, the NIT can have some value.

Reaction Score
The Syracuse board is a gift that keeps on giving. I don't know who "Message Board Geniuses" are, but they have called out that NIT poster . . .

1709832353408.jpeg

Reaction Score

Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.
Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament's 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee's evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first-round hosts, with deference given to the "first four teams out" of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. Additional teams from the six conferences with automatic qualifications are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.
There oddly a number of NIT bracketology sites. They are predicted around a 3 or 4 seed.

Had they beat Clemson they had a chance at the real tournament.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this should be in its own thread, but check out this thread on the Cuse board - kid clearly got the shot off in time. Very strange officiating there.

I posted a couple videos in the "Other Games" thread. The overturn was so strange.

SU fans are so disgruntled it seems they don't even think they have a chance to win a tobacco road tournament hosted by dook and unc. Pretty much anyone has a chance to win that thing except louisville, notre dame and bcu.

Reaction Score

Wow, they are really putting their thumb on the scale here -- not only do mediocre P6 teams get automatic bids, but they get top 4 seeds.

Reaction Score
I'm always curious why people don't want their team to play in the NIT if it is an option. If you are going to return a good portion of your roster next year it seems to me playing in a single elimination tournament with likely fairly evenly matched teams would be good experience for your team.
If you aren't returning most of your roster I could see skipping it.

No one wants to play in the NIT because it means you didn't have a very good season. If you stuck in it, you might as well try to win it. But at the beginning of the year it is virtually no one's goal to make the NIT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom