Podcast Plagarism: Mike Anthony, Geno & The R Word | The Boneyard

Podcast Plagarism: Mike Anthony, Geno & The R Word

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: Geno Auriemma Seems To Know Why, Not When, He Will Retire

"In the innocent early years, starting in 1985, Auriemma and assistant Chris Dailey dreamed not of building the most dominant program in the history of the sport but instead of parlaying success they might have at UConn into more high-profile jobs.

“Then you can write your ticket to go anywhere,” Auriemma said. “That's exactly what we did, except there was no ticket. The bus and the train didn't stop in Storrs, you know? There was no place to go. So CD and I were stuck in Connecticut for the rest of our lives.”

Reaction Score
speaking of retirement...........I wonder if competing coaches are using Geno"s "impending" retirement as a recruiting weapon............if you were a recruit and you heard that your revered coach said he could leave at any moment during your four years wouldn't you at least think twice?

Reaction Score
speaking of retirement......I wonder if competing coaches are using Geno"s "impending" retirement as a recruiting weapon..if you were a recruit and you heard that your revered coach said he could leave at any moment during your four years wouldn't you at least think twice?
Who would do such a thing?

Reaction Score
speaking of retirement......I wonder if competing coaches are using Geno"s "impending" retirement as a recruiting weapon..if you were a recruit and you heard that your revered coach said he could leave at any moment during your four years wouldn't you at least think twice?

Absolutely.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While he’s hardly someone to emulate, during his later years, Joe Paterno told each successive class of recruits that he planned on coaching for another 5 year, or basically until they graduated. It was his way of dealing with opposing recruiters suggesting that he was going to retire soon.

Geno likely tells recruits that he has no intention of retiring anytime soon, pointing out his new 5 yr contract. I’m sure the UConn AD will continually sign Geno to contract extensions as a hedge against opposing recruiters poaching Husky recruits. As for CD, it’s easy. She just tells everyone she’ll retire when Geno retires.

Reaction Score

I give recruits and their families the credit to believe that sort of tactic would influence them much if any. And in any case a recruit who would want to play for a coach who uses negative recruiting is better off as far from Storrs as possible. Besides, two of his strongest opponents for top recruits, Tara and MM are of his generation and bringing up retirement would only raise questions about themselves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I give recruits and their families too much credit to believe that sort of tactic would influence them much if any. And in any case a recruit who would want to play for a coach who uses negative recruiting is better off as far from Storrs as possible. Besides, two of his strongest opponents for top recruits, Tara and MM are of his generation and bringing up retirement would only raise questions about themselves.

I would be put off by negative recruiting but it sure seems to work for coaches in every sport.............I agree those two are just about in the same aged boat..........in Geno's case he doesn't help himself when he says he'll just wake up one day and feel like he's had enough and that will be that...........

Reaction Score
I would be put off by negative recruiting but it sure seems to work for coaches in every sport...I agree those two are just about in the same aged boat.....in Geno's case he doesn't help himself when he says he'll just wake up one day and feel like he's had enough and that will be that......

I can guess that the question arises often in home visits. If I can play Geno for a minute this is my response. "Of course I've thought about retiring some day but it's what I love and I'll continue to coach as long as I'm healthy and as long as I have players like your daughter to coach"

Reaction Score
I can guess that the question arises often in home visits. If I can play Geno for a minute this is my response. "Of course I've thought about retiring some day but it's what I love and I'll continue to coach as long as I'm healthy and as long as I have players like your daughter to coach"

hired............;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom