Please, stop the “FIRE HURLEY!” nonsense and let’s discuss realistic improvements for next season. | The Boneyard

Please, stop the “FIRE HURLEY!” nonsense and let’s discuss realistic improvements for next season.

Reaction Score
There are few absolutes in life, but here’s one:

Dan Hurley isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

I cannot for the life of me take anyone seriously who genuinely thinks Dan Hurley will get fired at this point in history. Whether or not you think Hurley should be fired because you - like literally every other UConn fan - are upset about yesterday’s upset loss, there is absolutely a 0% chance that anyone in the UConn Athletic Department is even considering terminating Dan Hurley’s contract.

1) He has taken a program from the bottom of a mid-major conference that prayed to make the NIT to the top (yes, third place is towards the top) of a P6 that comfortably lands in the NCAAT. In four years. On this day three years ago Hurley had finished year one at UConn with an improved record and performance in the conference tournament than the previous season. Year two would’ve been UConn’s first postseason in three years had COVID not interrupted. Year three saw a top-40 program finish third in the Big East with a tough BE semifinal loss to the runner-up, followed by the schools first NCAAT appearance in years. Year four produced a top-20 BE contender that knocked off multiple top-10 teams before losing to eventual conference champs in New York, with another NCAAT appearance. Notice the trend? Every season has been an objective improvement. So, what grounds would the AD reasonably have to fire Hurley if he wanted to?

2) UConn is broke, yo. Even if Hurley was reasonably underperforming the school couldn’t afford a buyout. He’s locked in through 2027.

3) Who would replace him? A new coach with a new system, which inevitably takes years to install like it does at any program? And then after his fourth season when we probably don’t win a natty we’ll be screaming “FIRE HIM!” like cavemen all over again?

There’s no argument to fire Hurley, so let’s stop talking about it. He’s imperfect, he annoys me too, but he’s our guy for the foreseeable future so let’s discuss areas in which UConn can realistically continue to improve.

Also Dan Hurley is not Jim Calhoun. They’re literally two different humans with different DNA and . Stop comparing them.

Reaction Score
Saying to fire him and saying if he took another job I wouldn't cry are vastly different things. After paying Ollie $12 million, no chance Hurley gets fired. He'll continue to do just well enough to keep his job and maybe eventually catch lightening in a bottle and win the Big East or something. That's what he is. A good, not great coach. There's a lot worse coaches out there and a lot better, but he's ours for the next five years unless he bolts, so hopefully he figures it out. Stars next to recruits' names don't automatically translate into deep tourney runs. It's what you do with the talent.

With that said, Kentucky getting bounced took away a little of the pain of our tourney exit. Now if Duke can just get bounced.

Reaction Score

I cannot for the life of me take anyone seriously who genuinely thinks Dan Hurley will get fired at this point in history. Whether or not you think Hurley should be fired because you - like literally every other UConn fan - are upset about yesterday’s upset loss, there is absolutely a 0% chance that anyone in the UConn Athletic Department is even considering terminating Dan Hurley’s contract.

1) He has taken a program from the bottom of a mid-major conference that prayed to make the NIT to the top (yes, third place is towards the top) of a P6 that comfortably lands in the NCAAT. In four years. On this day three years ago Hurley had finished year one at UConn with an improved record and performance in the conference tournament than the previous season. Year two would’ve been UConn’s first postseason in three years had COVID not interrupted. Year three saw a top-40 program finish third in the Big East with a tough BE semifinal loss to the runner-up, followed by the schools first NCAAT appearance in years. Year four produced a top-20 BE contender that knocked off multiple top-10 teams before losing to eventual conference champs in New York, with another NCAAT appearance. Notice the trend? Every season has been an objective improvement. So, what grounds would the AD reasonably have to fire Hurley if he wanted to?

2) UConn is broke, yo. Even if Hurley was reasonably underperforming the school couldn’t afford a buyout. He’s locked in through 2027.

3) Who would replace him? A new coach with a new system, which inevitably takes years to install like it does at any program? And then after his fourth season when we probably don’t win a natty we’ll be screaming “FIRE HIM!” like cavemen all over again?

There’s no argument to fire Hurley, so let’s stop talking about it. He’s imperfect, he annoys me too, but he’s our guy for the foreseeable future so let’s discuss areas in which UConn can realistically continue to improve.

Also Dan Hurley is not Jim Calhoun. They’re literally two different humans with different DNA and . Stop comparing them.
…… and as a ny giants fan thank God we are not the giants!!! 3 coaches in 6 years

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Hit the transfer portal looking for a PG and ballhandler. We've got a lot of freshmen and sophomores that should see the floor at some point next season. Work on a plan to give them meaningful minutes.

Beyond that, I don't know. I hope the offense looks better next year but the above might help with that. That's for Hurley and the assistants to figure out.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score

common sense is not allowed on this board

must be crankier if you want to post again

btw, i am happy with how things are going
lets get the young guys out there next year and have fun

Reaction Score
The difference of patience in todays age versus years past is night and day.

Go look at Scott Drew’s first three seasons at Baylor.

Some of the now successful programs have allowed the HC to remain there for 15 years.

Hurley isn’t going anywhere but he needs to make adjustments. If it happens once you can point to luck. But not twice.

Reaction Score
Just look at Chris Beard (Texas) took over a team that hadn’t sniffed the second game of NCAA since 2014….and now they’re blowing out the ACC champion….the people that say we need to give Hurley 6-8 years need to wake up

Reaction Score

I agree. I like Dan Hurley and he's doing a great job getting this program on the right trajectory becoming a winner.

Despite the way the season ending, look at the positives. We went 23-10 which is a good win loss record, posted a 13-6 record in a tough Big East conference, beat two elite teams in Auburn and Villanova, etc. Furthermore, we're co tinting a pipeline of great recruits and having another top recruiting class coming next year.

There is nowhere near any reason to even consider Hurley sitting on the hot seat.

Reaction Score
Fire Hurley. There I said it. Of course, we can’t because we are in a huge contract commitment, but that is one crappy reason.

Reaction Score
A small but very vocal minority. The larger group is in the automatically fire him after next year camp
he's not getting fired next year, either. His contract is through 2027. The earliest he's getting fired is 2024. I do think he ends up on the hot seat after next season, though.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
A small but very vocal minority. The larger group is in the automatically fire him after next year camp
I don’t think there’s a very large group saying he should automatically be fired after next year. Like husky429 said above, most of what I’ve seen is frustration with some of his coaching tactics/stubbornness. I think most posters (the ones worth paying attention to anyway) recognize that Hurley is still learning and improving as a coach or a high major program, and are simply offering critiques of things that I think Hurley himself would agree he needs to get better at.

Albeit I will concede that emotions got a little hot here last night, which isn’t unreasonable after a disappointing and unexpected end to the season…I’ll cop to that, I may have been sharpening my pitchfork for a minute there lol. Cooler heads prevail, and I think the non-trolls here just want to see Hurley reach his full potential with our program, not be exiled from it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Would like to see him bring in a George Blaney type to help him with x's and o's if Kimani bolts.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s a very large group saying he should automatically be fired after next year. Like husky429 said above, most of what I’ve seen is frustration with some of his coaching tactics/stubbornness. I think most posters (the ones worth paying attention to anyway) recognize that Hurley is still learning and improving as a coach or a high major program, and are simply offering critiques of things that I think Hurley himself would agree he needs to get better at.

Albeit I will concede that emotions got a little hot here last night, which isn’t unreasonable after a disappointing and unexpected end to the season…I’ll cop to that, I may have been sharpening my pitchfork for a minute there lol. Cooler heads prevail, and I think the non-trolls here just want to see Hurley reach his full potential with our program, not be exiled from it.
Btw @navery12 this wasn’t meant as a refutation to your post, just my opinion on the overall sentiment here on the board. I think you are 100% one of the posters worth paying attention to. Just wanted to get out in front of that in case my original post didn’t come across as intended. All love fam.

Reaction Score

Maybe automatically fired isn't the right way to phrase it, but the prevailing opinion is that he's not the right coach and that nothing can change that because he's too stubborn to adapt. Midseason I'd agree with your description, but the feeling last night had shifted from "Here's what Hurley needs to change to win championships here" to "Here's why Hurley can't be the long term coach here".

I think a lot of that is heat of the moment after a loss though, which is understandable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom