Please find a qb in portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Please find a qb in portal

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Remove wait until spring from your mindset then. You guys have a loser mentality.

You supported Edsall. Sit the next decade out.
Sorry you are slow on the uptake. Sorry you don’t understand what a QB battle in the spring means and a potential second battle in the fall if you don’t like the results. I can’t help you.

As for Edsall- I’m not fond of pulling down coaches and/or players on message boards. I think my leash on the Edsall 2.0 era was pretty much the same as everyone else. If you want to pretend I was some sort of fanboy that’s your issue. You do show comprehension issues - so par for the course.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Just to stir it up a bit more...but have we heard the whole story on why Tyler P didn't play a snap this year? I think we all assume that he wasn't fully recovered from his injury...but has Mora ever said that? The last I heard from Mora, I believe was early in the season and he said Tyler was good to go.

Just curious if his lack of playing time was completely injury related...or capability related?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I'm OK with ZT's performance as a true frosh who wasn't planning on playing much this year, never mind starting. I'm willing to see how he develops and give him a shot to earn the job again. That said, yes, hit the portal. Having an older, experienced QB while we develop ZT, Puma, etc. will help them and the team.

Reaction Score
Just to stir it up a bit more...but have we heard the whole story on why Tyler P didn't play a snap this year? I think we all assume that he wasn't fully recovered from his injury...but has Mora ever said that? The last I heard from Mora, I believe was early in the season and he said Tyler was good to go.

Just curious if his lack of playing time was completely injury related...or capability related?
As I just posted in the other QB thread Shaky, we don’t know. And the press has failed miserably at following up on this as the season progressed. But the fact that a totally unable to throw back up QB came in in the 1st Q yesterday says to me that either Tyler Phommachanh was never going to play this year because he just hadn’t recovered yet from the knee, or that he was never going to play this year because he’s not even in the QB room.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
He needs to lead the receivers. The PIs occurred because the balls were slightly underthrown.
There was no PI on the play I was referencing, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
As I just posted in the other QB thread Shaky, we don’t know. And the press has failed miserably at following up on this as the season progressed. But the fact that a totally unable to throw back up QB came in in the 1st Q yesterday says to me that either Tyler Phommachanh was never going to play this year because he just hadn’t recovered yet from the knee, or that he was never going to play this year because he’s not even in the QB room.
FWIW, I was fortunate enough to sit 6 rows behind the UConn bench during the UMass game, and observed the players on the sideline. Tyler Phommachanh was active walking around, and throwing the ball back and forth with Millen and/or Zermeno. However he had a very large knee brace and appeared to have a bit of a limp. If I had to guess, I'd say his knee had not fully recovered yet.

I do agree, the press coverage of the team, i.e. more probing issues (Tyler Phommachanh's knee, Edsall in Florida, etc.) leaves a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
There were numerous plays today where he could have thrown a WR open. Throwing inside instead of outside, or deeper instead of short. He is beyond his skillset.
All season long it has been a problem. Open guys who were not thrown too. The “we never had open receivers” line is another of the Boneyard myths.

Reaction Score
True freshman, lots of true freshman quarterbacks make huge errors. Kind of like being force to play freshman guards in hoops.
Please stop with the excuses ! Our Quarterbacks are awful so stop it. We need new quarterbacks to improve. The team improved alot this year but we need help !

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
FWIW, I was fortunate enough to sit 6 rows behind the UConn bench during the UMass game, and observed the players on the sideline. Tyler Phommachanh was active walking around, and throwing the ball back and forth with Millen and/or Zermeno. However he had a very large knee brace and appeared to have a bit of a limp. If I had to guess, I'd say his knee had not fully recovered yet.

I do agree, the press coverage of the team, i.e. more probing issues (Tyler Phommachanh's knee, Edsall in Florida, etc.) leaves a lot to be desired.
It seems like he shouldn't be limping and in a brace over a year after the injury. Maybe he suffered a set back. That would explain why Mora said he was good to go earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
All season long it has been a problem. Open guys who were not thrown too. The “we never had open receivers” line is another of the Boneyard myths.
From watching a game on TV, you can only tell whether the guy being thrown to is open or covered. But I saw 5 games in person this year. We did not have open receivers running all over the place whom ZT just couldn't spot. We just didn't. That's not to say no one was ever open but only Aaron Turner had real speed and he really wasn't proficient at catching anything but short passes.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
From watching a game on TV, you can only tell whether the guy being thrown to is open or covered. But I saw 5 games in person this year. We did not have open receivers running all over the place whom ZT just couldn't spot. We just didn't. That's not to say no one was ever open but only Aaron Turner had real speed and he really wasn't proficient at catching anything but short passes.
and sometimes the play requires him to look in a certain direction... on the 4th qrtr play that clercius got a clean release on the left sideline, zt was rolling right and looking to throw quick. we do a lot of 'half the field' offense actually -- it simplifies things.

Reaction Score
That's not the question. You think he was the unique contribution that lead to 6-6? He wasn't.

edit: he is a true freshman. Can he improve? Sure. Is he the starter going into next season? Without serious improvement I sure hope not. He made some really stunning plays that almost prove no progression. Especially that last interception where he threw a dodo right into the middle of the end-zone. He doesn't have the speed necessary to be a speed QB and if he was we would have used it. He doesn't have the accuracy and can't read well. Can he improve these things? Sure. Do I want to rely on that for next season. No.

I think this coddling attitude is backwards thinking.
Now, I want to see a QB fight in the spring and if all of them are healthy, may the best QB get the job, be it ZT, TR, Tyler Phommachanh, CM or the QB from Arizona or the incoming QB or another QB. ZT was supposed to back up TR, but TR got injured. Will he improve in the off-season? Maybe..

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This is one of those threads where I dislike the Boneyard. There's a bunch of armchair scouts on here shyting on a 19 year old true freshman who was thrust into the starting role, no redshirt season. Give the kid a break. You scouts have already determined that he doesn't have it, never has, never will. Chill out.
Merry Christmas Boneyard & Happy New Year.

Reaction Score
We don't know what Roberson can do. He has to be our starter next year. That being said if we can get a QB with experience than go for it.

Reaction Score
Some observations from an arm chair scout who went to 8 live games this year:

• Turner played decently under the circumstances (age/true frosh/thrust into starter) but was never a true difference maker at the position.
  • He definitely has open receivers including guys running completely uncovered on occasion that he never even glances at.
  • We either are not running a true read option or he has no clue how to run a true read option. He does not keep enough in general, but there are times he would run untouched for 10 yards or more if he kept. This could be what he was told to do so not sure if it’s a fair observation. He could be an adequate run threat.
  • Obviously he can improve for next year but I was hoping to see “glimpses” of greatness increasing as year went on. In my mind we did not really see it. 13 games and the last looked a lot like the first.
  • He seems like a great kid and I am rooting for him to make a jump. They say year 2 is where game slows down for these kids.
  • No doubt the staff will do whatever they can to improve the position. It already is stronger based on returns from injury and the new signee.

Reaction Score
Supposedly ran a 4.5 forty, but you’re right, he doesn’t look that fast. Maybe it’s something he can work on.
I'm not sure what point you're making but a 4.5 forty is slow for a slot receiver. Most are on the 4.3 range with the elite ones in 4.2x range.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what point you're making but a 4.5 forty is slow Azzi Fudd for a slot receiver. Most are on the 4.3 range with the elite ones in 4.2x range.
Yeah right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw 4 and I’m not saying we had 3 guys wide open on every play but Clercius got open often. I can’t remember the game, I think UMass, but Clercius was open all night long. Joly was open. I agree Turner had trouble catching longer balls but was open too. We certainly didn’t have 4 Heisman trophy candidates out there but there were opportunities. I thought Zion was basically a 1 option quarterback. If his first choice was covered he didn’t have a second.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

It's college football. If there are 3 receivers in the pattern, one of them is open at least 75% of the time. The good QBs find them. That's one reason these All-Americans and Heisman winners wash out in the NFL. The coverage is a lot better.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what point you're making but a 4.5 forty is slow Azzi Fudd for a slot receiver. Most are on the 4.3 range with the elite ones in 4.2x range.
Not even close.

Reaction Score
In the Marshall game that were times when the Marshall DB was 10-15 yards off the LOS. It looked like Diaco's defense. And we never threw to that guy, not once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom