Please ESPN | The Boneyard

Please ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN, please understand that every game needs and deserves an actual play-by-play announcer. This two or three "analyst" stuff is strictly for the birds, as it will inevitably do what happened tonight, completely lose touch with the game being played on the court.

Reaction Score
ESPN, please understand that every game needs and deserves an actual play-by-play announcer. This two or three "analyst" stuff is strictly for the birds, as it will inevitably do what happened tonight, completely lose touch with the game being played on the court.

Sorry but its not going to happen for any game that gets out of hand. That's the way broadcasting works.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
please find anyone but Doris Burke to do UConn games.
At times she is just ridiculously anti-UConn. She went on and on saying the Mathis was in the act of shooting when the block was called on Stef...when if she actually bothered to watch the replay instead of loudly expressing her opinion, she would,have seen that Mathis lost the ball before she ran into Stef...so the proper call would have been no foul at all...you can't get a blocking call if you have already lost possession of the ball!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
At times she is just ridiculously anti-UConn. She went on and on saying the Mathis was in the act of shooting when the block was called on Stef...when if she actually bothered to watch the replay instead of loudly expressing her opinion, she would,have seen that Mathis lost the ball before she ran into Stef...so the proper call would have been no foul at all...you can't get a blocking call if you have already lost possession of the ball!
UCONN smacked Kentucky out of the arena in the first half. Honestly I found the "controversy" or "hysteria" the announcers were trying to create in the 2nd half. After all, you can only talk about how great UCONN is for so long. Of course, UCONN fans can talk about how great we are ALL DAY LONG lol...

Reaction Score
He also never seems to get any of the players names right.
And Doris said Stewie had a reach of 71" for A WEEK, including tonight in the first half, before she corrected it to 7'1" in the second half.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And Doris said Stewie had a reach of 71" for A WEEK, including tonight in the first half, before she corrected it to 7'1" in the second half.
I have emailed them several times about that error of 71".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Doris Burke is an unapologetic fan of Aureimma and UConn, so I love it when folks think she's anti-UConn.
She bends over backwards to avoid it. On the other hand she now fails to watch the game and prattles on about irrelevant nonsense. Her continual error calling Stewie's wingspan 71" inches borders on incompetence.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
My wish is for some mention of who is on the court and who is matched up with whom...and the implications thereof. IOW, what to watch for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doris just doesn't shut up. I remember when she started, she was a breath of fresh air. Now she doesn't stop to take a breath. I can't stand her anymore.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think that the play-by-play announcer we all want so much does not exist in this cast of characters (Kara L could do it!). Even when a game is slow, to do real play by play is hard, you have to practice, know the players, be able to see them on court, and call out the action, understand the game and the strategies. You have to do this for every team you cover. It's WORK, and these ladies is lazy asses. It's comparatively easy to choose the necklace for the evening, put on your earphones and gossip endlessly -- easy for them, that is, but really hard for those of us who really care about the game, the strategies, the players, the action...I have gone to mute for years, when I can actually watch, which is rare. The best is to watch and to have the BY on for the commentary,even though it's delayed, its 1000 times better than the garbage "coverage."

Excuse me, I gotta get to work.

Reaction Score

She's been doing it all year, UC...if she finally got it right we probably need to give Icebear the credit...

Reaction Score
I think that the play-by-play announcer we all want so much does not exist in this cast of characters (Kara L could do it!). Even when a game is slow, to do real play by play is hard, you have to practice, know the players, be able to see them on court, and call out the action, understand the game and the strategies. You have to do this for every team you cover. It's WORK, and these ladies is lazy asses. It's comparatively easy to choose the necklace for the evening, put on your earphones and gossip endlessly -- easy for them, that is, but really hard for those of us who really care about the game, the strategies, the players, the action...I have gone to mute for years, when I can actually watch, which is rare. The best is to watch and to have the BY on for the commentary,even though it's delayed, its 1000 times better than the garbage "coverage."

Excuse me, I gotta get to work.

Several years ago, ESPN showed a college football game with the mikes on for the guys in the truck -- a behind-the-scenes broadcast. It was fascinating. A bunch of the discussion is being cued by the producer, who is directing the broadcasters to the interesting angles.

I have no doubt that the WCBB producers are directing Doris et al to talk about more general themes when the games get out of hand.

As I said earlier, this is not a case of the play-by-play announcers not being competent. They are, and when the game allows they can and will focus solely on the game.

Reaction Score
I have emailed them several times about that error of 71".
Ok, I thought my yelling at the tv was the thing that she noticed. ;^) Who do you email to point out errors? Got a real name?

Reaction Score
Most arenas have live stat boards showing points scored, fouls, etc. These boards could be shown occasionally. That way the announcers could prattle away at their heart's content and just ignore the game completely.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that they could do this, Vowelguy. When they do tune in they get names wrong and miscall plays. If you say so....but I'm not sure the effort level is there. It takes energy and skill and I don't see a lot of either.

Reaction Score
They remind me of Vitale, so I mute them also. Lets me concentrate on the game more, instead of listening to their prattle.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
She bends over backwards to avoid it. On the other hand she now fails to watch the game and prattles on about irrelevant nonsense. Her continual error calling Stewie's wingspan 71" inches borders on incompetence.
No, Doris got that right. She was plainly talking about one arm, sort of like the radius of a circle instead of the diameter. 71" sounds about right for a Stewie limb, with maybe a little bit more when she really needs to stretch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom