Playing UConn men an exciting proposition for Sacred Heart; University of Hartford interested in playing Huskies | The Boneyard

Playing UConn men an exciting proposition for Sacred Heart; University of Hartford interested in playing Huskies

Reaction Score
Article from Dom on a variety of subjects.

UConn will play a “secret scrimmage” at Harvard this week, which Hurley could not talk about, of course, but he did express interest in doing more of that, and cutting out exhibitions against Division II or III opponents.

“I would love to do two ‘closed-doors,’” Hurley said. “An exhibition, to me, doesn’t bring anywhere near the value besides getting out and playing in front of crowd. We’d love to have more of a playing component to First Night, a 20-minute scrimmage, maybe a Blue-White, Blue Gray, and go two closed scrimmages. An exhibition, I don’t want to say it’s a throw-away, you do get under the lights and can get some opening-night jitters out of the way, but playing two high-level college teams is really good to see what’s going to work and where you have to adjust.”

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Bring back the Saturday afternoon Blue/White scrimmage. Kids can show up early to go on the court with the team followed by the scrimmage.

Reaction Score
For those of us not from the area, what happened between U of Hartford and UConn?

Also, think DH’s comments are spot on. I would be all-in for those changes.

Reaction Score
Bring back the Saturday afternoon Blue/White scrimmage. Kids can show up early to go on the court with the team followed by the scrimmage.
I wish they never got rid of that event. I would go every year with my parents when I was a kid. It really was a great event as I have very fond memories of being on the court of the Civic Center as an 8,10,12 year old kid with all the players. One memory that really stands out to me was from 1996 and being so excited that Doron Sheffer passed me a basketball. I wish they brought that event back so kids today can make some of the same memories that I had as a young UConn basketball fan.

Reaction Score
For those of us not from the area, what happened between U of Hartford and UConn?

Also, think DH’s comments are spot on. I would be all-in for those changes.

I’m not going to get this 100% correct because it’s just from memory but I believe the president of uhart led the way for uconn to be banned for the apr numbers and seemed to go out of his way to do it.

Reaction Score
That idiot UHart President is gone. I'm ok with scheduling them at a discounted rate.

Reaction Score
Forget Hartford, play Yale. They are almost always the second best team in the state under Coach Jones, and a couple of years they might have been the best. Two NCAAs in the last four years.
I agree. Any year Yale would always be a good early season matchup. In general, the top end of the Ivy will be really good this year with Harvard, Yale and Penn fielding quality squads.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Harrison: “It will be a real game changer.”

Right.

There were several of us arguing that without proof universities were having athletes attend classes and complete courses the APR was a sham. The NCAA was relying on the integrity of athletic departments and not independently verifying information.

Individuals instituting the policy we’re either naive, incompetent or corrupt in that they wanted to give the appearance the NCAA was doing something meaningful when they knew they weren’t. Given the history of institutional cheating prior to this act I lean towards the latter two with a stronger lean to corruption.

There were several posters who argued against this position. I believe the scandal at UNC has eliminated any doubt.

Reaction Score
Forget Hartford, play Yale. They are almost always the second best team in the state under Coach Jones, and a couple of years they might have been the best. Two NCAAs in the last four years.

A few years ago, Yale WAS the best team in the state. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Right.

There were several of us arguing that without proof universities were having athletes attend classes and complete courses the APR was a sham. The NCAA was relying on the integrity of athletic departments and not independently verifying information.

Individuals instituting the policy we’re either naive, incompetent or corrupt in that they wanted to give the appearance the NCAA was doing something meaningful when they knew they weren’t. Given the history of institutional cheating prior to this act I lean towards the latter two with a stronger lean to corruption.

There were several posters who argued against this position. I believe the scandal at UNC has eliminated any doubt.
Yep but more importantly was how it was applied. It violated generally recognized principles of fairness.
1) The APR rule was changed and then applied retroactively to UConn. (Ex post facto application of law)
2) UConn had already been punished for the APRs in question. (Double Jeopardy)
3) Even without regard to 1 and 2 above, if the NCAA had taken into account UConn's then current scores they would not have had a post season ban. (Ignoring exculpatory evidence).

All that falls squarely on to Harrison's shoulders. He should be persona non grata in this state.

Reaction Score
Don't throw UHart any favors until we need something from them....and I can't imagine when that would ever be....but when the time is right, sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the rest of the quote is even worse: “It sends a message to our teams and to our critics that we mean business.” He's admitting they're making an example of UConn. Anyone with half a brain knows the APR is bollocks. Look up Jay Bilas and APR for an expert dissection. Harrison was a university president so he's not an idiot. He knew what he was saying was rubbish.

The article called Harrison "the chairman of the NCAA’s Committee on Academic Performance." As far as I could tell at the time, the sole responsibility of this position was to badmouth UConn to anyone and everyone who would listen, in his role as a "NCAA representative". When UConn was finally "reinstated" he said words to the effect that he was pleased that UConn was taking academic performance more seriously as a result of the APR. That really rankled me because taking academic performance seriously is what got UConn into the APR mess. If only UConn gave credit for work not performed like the P5 teams do.

So why was Harrison so mendacious? My take is that he was angling for one of those cushy, overpaid, no responsibility NCAA jobs for his post-UHar days. Since the NCAA is run like the Mob, for his initiation they gave Harrison a metaphorical gun in the APR and said "Kill UConn", which he did for years with great relish. The irony is that once his dirty work with UConn was over, the NCAA kicked his sorry ass to the curb. Even rats don't like rats. He ended up as the Linda Tripp of the NCAA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yep but more importantly was how it was applied. It violated generally recognized principles of fairness.
1) The APR rule was changed and then applied retroactively to UConn. (Ex post facto application of law)
2) UConn had already been punished for the APRs in question. (Double Jeopardy)
3) Even without regard to 1 and 2 above, if the NCAA had taken into account UConn's then current scores they would not have had a post season ban. (Ignoring exculpatory evidence).

All that falls squarely on to Harrison's shoulders. He should be persona non grata in this state.
I think the rest of the quote is even worse: “It sends a message to our teams and to our critics that we mean business.” He's admitting they're making an example of UConn. Anyone with half a brain knows the APR is bollocks. Look up Jay Bilas and APR for an expert dissection. Harrison was a university president so he's not an idiot. He knew what he was saying was rubbish.

The article called Harrison "the chairman of the NCAA’s Committee on Academic Performance." As far as I could tell at the time, the sole responsibility of this position was to badmouth UConn to anyone and everyone who would listen, in his role as a "NCAA representative". When UConn was finally "reinstated" he said words to the effect that he was pleased that UConn was taking academic performance more seriously as a result of the APR. That really rankled me because taking academic performance seriously is what got UConn into the APR mess. If only UConn gave credit for work not performed like the P5 teams do.

So why was Harrison so mendacious? My take is that he was angling for one of those cushy, overpaid, no responsibility NCAA jobs for his post-UHar days. Since the NCAA is run like the Mob, for his initiation they gave Harrison a metaphorical gun in the APR and said "Kill UConn", which he did for years with great relish. The irony is that once his dirty work with UConn was over, the NCAA kicked his sorry ass to the curb. Even rats don't like rats. He ended up as the Linda Tripp of the NCAA.
He was just the toady for Mark Emmert! Didn't know he was pushed out of the NCAA. Between that and the national championship a big Fuggle Two was sent to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom