Playing 5 on 6 | The Boneyard

Playing 5 on 6

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 11.02.53 AM.png

The ponytailed ref was definitely favoring the home team.

I realize the refs are "always on the other teams side", and we have to play through it. But Olivia was bumped pretty hard on every bucket she made for basically zero calls, every jump ball was called quickly for DePaul or waited for on us..... and then there was Megan's "charge" in the 4th quarter:
my screen shot isn't perfectly timed, but if you watch the replay the Blue Devil guard is falling down before Megan even gets inside the paint!

Reaction Score
It is part of the game since before I was born and will never change.

Reaction Score
View attachment 49188

I realize the refs are "always on the other teams side", and we have to play through it. But Olivia was bumped pretty hard on every bucket she made for basically zero calls, every jump ball was called quickly for DePaul or waited for on us..... and then there was Megan's "charge" in the 4th quarter:
my screen shot isn't perfectly timed, but if you watch the replay the Blue Devil guard is falling down before Megan even gets inside the paint!
When you absorb a charge to prevent serious injury to both players you leave your feet planted, the key element in taking a charge, but begin bending backward to lessen the impact on both players. This appears to be the case here.

Reaction Score
Sorry but the refs didn't let DePaul score 45 points in the second half.
Understand the frustration of the close game (i.e. unless you have been on this site for many years, you are unlikely to have much experience with UConn women being in a close game within the season), but what does the 45 points/great DePaul shooting have to do with obvious flopping.

Reaction Score
When you absorb a charge to prevent serious injury to both players you leave your feet planted, the key element in taking a charge, but begin bending backward to lessen the impact on both players. This appears to be the case here.
I've watched the video - they even replay it - and she falls with out any contact from Megan. Admittedly, the ref is making a call in real time and this was clear from the camera's point of view maybe not the baseline where the ref was.

Reaction Score
My HS team played 6 on 5 for two minutes until a timeout. We substituted 5 girls and took out 4. Sometimes you get good/bad refs.

However, UConn should expect elite refs who are not fooled by flops.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
DePaul was the beneficiary of at least one really bogus offensive foul call, but I saw several plays that were blatantly obvious offensive fouls against UConn where there was no call. DePaul did not get every call in their favor.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I watched the game, then read the comments on this forum complaining about the officiating, then watched the game again on replay. I agree with nwhoopfan that several of the 4th quarter drives to the hoop on which UConn scored could (not unreasonably) have been called charges, which would have removed 6 or 8 points from the scoreboard.

On the specific play which was mentioned on which Megan Walker was called for a charge, it is true that the defender started to fall backward before Megan made contact with her. But Megan still did make contact, and the defender had established position, so I think the call was justified.

In general, I think the refs took a "let them play" attitude and mostly refrained from calling borderline charge or block calls. It appeared to me to be consistent at both ends, but since UConn was the more muscular team (not usually the case), it probably benefitted UConn more than DePaul.

I would not blame the refs for the closeness of the score, but it is certainly true that if DePaul had 25 fouls called on them (as happened when they visited Oregon State), the game would not have been nearly as close.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
View attachment 49188

To me that was a clear class B technical. CD made the resultant 3, so that should have been a 4 point play. But that said, UConn didn't lose the game because of the refs and they didn't win because of them either. I've never complained about referee's and I'm not going to start now. Time to move on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On the specific play which was mentioned on which Megan Walker was called for a charge, it is true that the defender started to fall backward before Megan made contact with her. But Megan still did make contact, and the defender had established position, so I think the call was justified.
That's not how it works. Established position requires the player to be stationary. By falling backwards or leaning sideways the defender is giving up "established position". A no call or blocking would have been the correct call.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That's not how it works. Established position requires the player to be stationary. By falling backwards or leaning sideways the defender is giving up "established position". A no call or blocking would have been the correct call.
@CocoHusky is correct here with just a little addition. The defensive players feet can be moving, but the defensive player must beat the offensive player to that position. If the defensive player intentionally falls in an attempt to convince the ref that an offensive foul is being committed that is an intentional flop and is a class B technical. The offensive player is then awarded one shot from the foul line and the offensive team is then awarded the ball and play resumes. On that play Meg's movement was not impeded therefore there was no blocking foul. I was wrong in previously saying that CD's 3 would have counted. After the shot UConn would have received the ball inbounds.

Reaction Score
UConn has play 6 of it's games on the road. In their first 10 games they will have had 2 home games. Better to learn that refs aren't immune to favoritism now than to be like some teams that sit home till the new year.

Reaction Score

That is not correct according to the NCAA rulebook. There is nothing requiring a defender to remain stationary. To begin, once a player has established a legal guarding position that player may legally move laterally or obliquely to maintain position relative to the player dribbling and/or driving. Also when a defender is about to get hit by a dribbler/driver, she is legally allowed to twist or duck to absorb contact prior to when the contact actually occurs. There is nothing in the rule book about giving up "established position" by falling back just before contact or by twisting the body.

A player falling backwards would only be an issue if that player never got hit at all and was viewed to be simulating a foul. Or if the player started to fall back so early that she was on the ground by the time contact occurred.

Reaction Score
@CocoHusky is correct here with just a little addition. The defensive players feet can be moving, but the defensive player must beat the offensive player to that position. If the defensive player intentionally falls in an attempt to convince the ref that an offensive foul is being committed that is an intentional flop and is a class B technical.

True - but only if it is viewed as an intentional flop. A player may legally begin to fall back before contact - or twist the body - if it is viewed as an attempt to absorb the shock of imminent contact.

Reaction Score
I've watched the video - they even replay it - and she falls with out any contact from Megan. Admittedly, the ref is making a call in real time and this was clear from the camera's point of view maybe not the baseline where the ref was.

Boom! I watched the game again as I was reading the BY. She fell backwards without any contact. Some referees make calls without seeing the play - anticipation. They make calls on what they thought happened.

JordyG

Reaction Score
True - but only if it is viewed as an intentional flop. A player may legally begin to fall back before contact - or twist the body - if it is viewed as an attempt to absorb the shock of imminent contact.
I did say intentionally in bold letters...and hers was intentional.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Has anyone in this discussion ever refereed a D1 Basketball Game? I see mistakes all the time at Gill Coliseum by the referees, and then I remember I would never want their job.
I can't agree more. Which is why I never complain about the refereeing. I may occasional question a call, but bitchin' about the refs is a waste of time. I'll say it again. A team should be good enough to overcome any single or series of bad calls.

Reaction Score
I can't agree more. Which is why I never complain about the refereeing. I may occasional question a call, but bitchin' about the refs is a waste of time. I'll say it again. A team should be good enough to overcome any single or series of bad calls.
Doug Bruno complained about the refereeing. The announcers commented that Geno was griping about the call I started this discussion with himself.

Like any other thread on this blog, none of us are the pros or athletes involved. That doesn't' and shouldn't constrict our posting opinions as you have twice commented. "The ump is blind" is the universal solvent of watching sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't see the Depaul play, but this one from an earlier game... that's a flop! Call that a flop! Thoughts?

Reaction Score
View attachment 49188

You are right about the flop. Olivia has to get used to being mugged without calls that will be her career.
Megan it is visible was coming towards the Depaul player as that player was falling backwards. Bad call a few of those early one. Seaton Hall had Mother Seaton blushing with all the homey calls that were made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom