OT: - Players physically attacking the refs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Players physically attacking the refs

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
A couple of years ago here in Holland, in some amatuer league soccer match, several guys unhappy with the ref beat him to death. Flat out killed him. Over a freakin' game.
I always thought that "going Dutch" had a completely different meaning.

Reaction Score
Anyone blaming the refs are just hiding the fact some kids are just punks, they're not taught well at home and the coaches like this don't help either. I guess the problem is the video starts with some kid walking over the ref talking crap to him but we don't know how it actually started, more than likely their coach was an idiot to the refs on calls and disrespected him the whole game leading up to it but one can only assume.

A disgraceful video and some of these kid shouldn't be allowed on their HS team after it's reviewed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My favorite part of the video is when some middle aged woman starts heading over and you hear someone yell out "Ma" and she walks back.

I've watched a lot of AAU basketball over the years and I've never seen anything like it. I have seen a ref tell a guy who had been riding him pretty hard that this was his last game and he'd be happy to discuss his calling after the game in the parking lot. The guy shut up.

Reaction Score
I wanted to kill the refs at my daughters AAU tourney this weekend. Up 12 half way through the second half and 5 bad (horrendous) calls later we're tied and two of our fathers re being threatened by the ref.

We lost, and while its typical to bitch about the refs, in this case they really did change the game enough to lose it for us. I was pretty bummed. I had never seen it so lopsided. 11-3 calls. They had a fat (not big) 4 who kept bumping into our forwards, knocking them over and they never called it. We were sitting next to her mother who was really sweet and she kept apologizing for her. It was kind of surreal.

My daughter took it out on the next team and went 22 and 12! I was very proud.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the video is when some middle aged woman starts heading over and you hear someone yell out "Ma" and she walks back.

I've watched a lot of AAU basketball over the years and I've never seen anything like it. I have seen a ref tell a guy who had been riding him pretty hard that this was his last game and he'd be happy to discuss his calling after the game in the parking lot. The guy shut up.

I'd love to hear that person explaining to another family member or friend what happened -
Yeah, we were there. It was crazy. There was all this trash talk, then one ref took off his shirt like he was gonna fight the players, then a bunch of players ganged up on the refs. It was nuts. In the middle of it, Mom starts walking onto the court like she's Gal Gadot heading towards the German trenches. So I had to get her back. Afterwards, I was like "Ma, what were you going to do?" She didn't know.

Reaction Score
I wanted to kill the refs at my daughters AAU tourney this weekend. Up 12 half way through the second half and 5 bad (horrendous) calls later we're tied and two of our fathers re being threatened by the ref.

We lost, and while its typical to bitch about the refs, in this case they really did change the game enough to lose it for us. I was pretty bummed. I had never seen it so lopsided. 11-3 calls. They had a fat (not big) 4 who kept bumping into our forwards, knocking them over and they never called it. We were sitting next to her mother who was really sweet and she kept apologizing for her. It was kind of surreal.

My daughter took it out on the next team and went 22 and 12! I was very proud.

If there are multiple parents on your team being threatened by referees, you may want to consider finding a new team. Doesn't seem reasonable, even if the refs are poor. You also should be contacting site directors or the organization about your complaints. It's the only way to change anything.

These refs are paid to make the games quick because a lot of tournaments have 70 minute time slots.

I have before, and probably will again, remove parents from basketball games. Not in AAU, but in high school, it's a tech on the home team if parents or anyone else in the crowd is out of control.

The lack of reasonable perspective from parents is unreasonable (in general, not you). The only reason I ever have considered stopping coaching is parents.

Reaction Score
The Twitter response from the AAU coach/program was embarrassing. Ugly situation all around; AAU can bring out the worst in people.

Reaction Score
We should definitely use this one incident to generalize about AAU, sneaker companies, and today's kids! There has to be more to this than a bunch of people letting their emotions get the best of them and hopefully facing reasonable consequences.

Reaction Score
That's another great question. You are certainly asking the right questions here, and, really, that's half the battle. The other half, of course, is being able to - as Aristotle(?) kinda said - consider an answer without accepting it as true.
So, is it? Is violence "just as bad" when it's done for reasons other than race?
You are judge, jury, and executioner.
You have two cases in front of you.
Case 1. Angry Guy in a bar sees a guy with a blue hat on and screams, "I hate blue hats" and beats the guy severely.
Case 2. Angry Guy in a bar sees a person of color and screams, "I hate people of color" and beats the guy equally as severely as in Case 1.
Do you punish them equally? For equal violence? Yes?

In the U.S., and much of Europe, they get punished differently. Specifically, they both get charged with assault, but in the 2nd case, the attacker gets charged with a "hate crime" and ends up with a greater penalty.

But, you ask, if they committed the same act of violence, for what is the extra punishment?

And, of course, the only answer is that they are being punished for their thoughts.

And if that doesn't scare you, the national debt is close to 20 trillion and the Fed is raising interest rates. Lol.

The extra punishment is to discourage attacks against various minority groups. What is so scary about that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom