Players Entering Transfer Portal, As of March 2024 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Players Entering Transfer Portal, As of March 2024

Reaction Score
Weren't people saying portal activity was going to start ramping down? This would be 3 years in a row of 1000+ players. Maybe NEXT year it will start to ease up once the 5th year covid thing is done. Or not. This might just be the new normal
This is the new normal. Kid doesn’t play as much as they want they go. Learned behavior from youth sports and AAU. And why not? If someone takes them no consequences.

Reaction Score
This is the final year for Covid transfers I believe. The 2020 class should be graduate students. But a lot an underclassmen are transferring. NIL?
Well, I think there may be a few redshirt PLUS Covid holdovers like Paige Bueckers who could squeeze out another year beyond 24-25.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
With Brigham and Ciezki? Doubt it. They had their moments, but they didn't seem able to keep up with the style that Kieger wants (athletic, long, in your face). Brigham might be able to help out a solid P5 as a back-up big. Ciezki has okay numbers (skewed by nonconference output) but looked very small and lost against B1G competition, so I'm not sure where she ends up. I could see her doing well at a mid-major like FGCU or Rhode Island.

Leilani Kapinus is the name to look for to see if Kieger is leaving.
Kapinus as bellweather? (That was Liz Karlen at Marquette.)
So, out of the last game PSU played, four of the five starters (Brigham, Ciezki, Marisa, Owusu) are not coming back.
We'll probably hear something out of Coral Gables and/or Milwaukee shortly on coaching vacancies. Stay tuned. :cool:

Reaction Score
Weren't people saying portal activity was going to start ramping down? This would be 3 years in a row of 1000+ players. Maybe NEXT year it will start to ease up once the 5th year covid thing is done. Or not. This might just be the new normal.
Part of it is the extra covid year.

Also, the lawsuit regarding the sit out rule. It's making it easier for those transferring for a second time because they're not required to sit out while this is still in litigation.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
Kapinus as bellweather? (That was Liz Karlen at Marquette.)
So, out of the last game PSU played, four of the five starters (Brigham, Ciezki, Marisa, Owusu) are not coming back.
We'll probably hear something out of Coral Gables and/or Milwaukee shortly on coaching vacancies. Stay tuned. :cool:
Yup! Just one minor note: Ciezki hasn't started the last two games. Pinto did (and she's exhausted her eligibility).

I would say that Kapinus is the bellwether, absolutely. She's Kieger's favorite. Can't see her playing at Marquette, but I could see her playing at Miami if that were to transpire.

And yes, as always, stay tuned!

Reaction Score
Biggest names in portal at the moment IMO:
Saylor Poffenbarger, Arkansas
Taliah Scott, Arkansas
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton
Jalynn Bristow, Iowa State
Ajae Petty, Kentucky
Kateri Poole, LSU
Faith Masonius, Maryland
Cameron Williams, Michigan
Rikki Harris, Ohio State
Grace Van Slooten, Oregon
Chance Gray, Oregon
Talia von Oelhoffen, Oregon State
Kaitlyn Chen, Princeton
Georgia Amoore, Virginia Tech
Clara Strack, Virginia Tech
Charlisse Leger-Walker, Washington State
Could a good coach make the final 4 with the top 8.. I actually think so. Good pool thus far. Definitely some ceiling raisers. I know they aren't big on transfers but Kaitlyn Chen would put Stanford in a different conversation. If Georgia Amoore did go to LSU (I know she has a deep friendship with Poa though I doubt it happens), she definitely makes them like a final 4 team. I don't think there's an Angel Reese type yet tho. Like if they went to a tournament team or good team they could become champions.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Could a good coach make the final 4 with the top 8.. I actually think so. Good pool thus far. Definitely some ceiling raisers. I know they aren't big on transfers but Kaitlyn Chen would put Stanford in a different conversation. If Georgia Amoore did go to LSU (I know she has a deep friendship with Poa though I doubt it happens), she definitely makes them like a final 4 team. I don't think there's an Angel Reese type yet tho. Like if they went to a tournament team or good team they could become champions.
Potentially yes. So much is dependent on team chemistry. For example, I'm not sure anyone would expect Iowa's lineup at face value to be a Final Four team or that they'd be better than UCLA/LSU this year. Their ball movement and chemistry is what makes the whole greater than the sum of individual parts.

Pretty stacked portal class thus far, I'm curious if other big names will enter though. Agreed there isn't an Angel Reese/Aneesah Morrow type in here yet though aside from Amoore, but Georgia's only sticking around 1 year wherever she lands.

Reaction Score
A lot of Colorado players. Is this the effect of moving conferences?
Fair question to ask, but when looking at who's leaving, I don't think so. Moving to the BIG12 may be seen as a drop, but at the same time what have these players done to show they can play in a P4 conference?

For example, I'm familiar with McLeod's game because she's from Ontario. While she's shown some potential, I can't see her in the ACC or SEC. The BIG10, maybe, but that still feels like a stretch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fair question to ask, but when looking at who's leaving, I don't think so. Moving to the BIG12 may be seen as a drop, but at the same time what have these players done to show they can play in a P4 conference?

For example, I'm familiar with McLeod's game because she's from Ontario. While she's shown some potential, I can't see her in the ACC or SEC. The BIG10, maybe, but that still feels like a stretch.

It's not like their top players are bailing out. They do have a couple of #80ish recruits coming in. Who knows who they get via the portal. They used to be in the Big 8 so this isn't like the Arizona schools joining the Big 12.

Reaction Score
It's not like their top players are bailing out. They do have a couple of #80ish recruits coming in. Who knows who they get via the portal. They used to be in the Big 8 so this isn't like the Arizona schools joining the Big 12.
Exactly. Didn't Formann announce she's returning? Not to mention one of Colorado's transfers is Deion Sanders' daughter. She was a walk on at Jackson State. Didn't play this season. It skews the overall situation.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Hmm. Memory serves she was around 50-60 in Hoopgurlz so a Top 100 recruit and I do remember she played for Hopkins HS and Tartan North AAU. Was Laila Phelia playing wing?
Maybe she saw how well the combination of Olivia Olsen and Syla Swords played together and figured the gig wa already up for next year.

Her one decent outing this year was against....Iowa (13 points)...so there's some talent there. I suspect she'll have some callers from her past recruiters.

Reaction Score
Hmm. Memory serves she was around 50-60 in Hoopgurlz so a Top 100 recruit and I do remember she played for Hopkins HS and Tartan North AAU. Was Laila Phelia playing wing?
Maybe she saw how well the combination of Olivia Olsen and Syla Swords played together and figured the gig wa already up for next year.

Her one decent outing this year was against....Iowa (13 points)...so there's some talent there. I suspect she'll have some callers from her past recruiters.
From what I've watched Phelia has been their primary PG since last season. Not sure if I see her as a wing.

Not sure why she'd see Swords and Olson as threats to playing time. Saw Woodson as a 4, along with Evans. And with Cameron and Taylor Williams transferring out, I thought she'd get more opportunities to play.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
From what I've watched Phelia has been their primary PG since last season. Not sure if I see her as a wing.

Not sure why she'd see Swords and Olson as threats to playing time. Saw Woodson as a 4, along with Evans. And with Cameron and Taylor Williams transferring out, I thought she'd get more opportunities to play.
Not that she played a lot, but Elise Struck hit the portal, too (they're about the same size).

Interesting, Phelia brought the ball up, but I thought Jordan Hobbs did as much facilitating -- in fact, she led the team in assists.
Hobbs would be a tad small as a 4, given she's listed as a 4, but I didn't see enough of her style of play to see if she could shift up there.
I'm assuming she wants to play wing and with Hobbs, Phelia coming back and Olsen and Swords coming in, who knows how she's looking at it :cool:

Michigan is always a head scratcher: just when you think they're in good shape personnel-wise, they seem to pull some sort of cha-cha.
We discussed assistant churn last year. Wonder if there's something else we're missing. Heck, the lost to Kansas in OT. With two excellent frosh coming in, you'd think the team would be on an upswing. Who knows?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom