Players Entering Transfer Portal, As of March 2024 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Players Entering Transfer Portal, As of March 2024

Reaction Score
From the Tar Hole Tribune

According to sources, Paris was cleared medically a few weeks ago but never was in uniform for a game. She didn’t practice with the team, although she warmed up with the Tar Heels some in Columbia, S.C., last weekend and practiced separately.
YIKES!!!! This is a messy divorce. Where PP ends up may tell us a lot about which party is more to blame. If she ends up at another 20+-win P5 school, then I'm side-eyeing the Cheats. If she winds up at an average mid-major or a lower-level P5, then I'd have to attribute the blame elsewhere.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty high bar. Plenty of players can move from a mid major to a P5 (or whatever we have anymore) and be a contributor, but having that big of an impact is gonna be few and far between.
Indeed.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty high bar. Plenty of players can move from a mid major to a P5 (or whatever we have anymore) and be a contributor, but having that big of an impact is gonna be few and far between.
Maybe, but expectations weren't high for Senechal initially. Dewolfe has done a great job at ND. If they can be in that range, I'm sure coaches would love that.

Reaction Score
I
Maryland is desperate, but I could see her having a role there.

As for Penn State, new assistant coaching staff there now (including a recruiting coordinator with no apparent ties to PP).
I wouldn't call Maryland desparate but I could see her going there.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Maryland desparate but I could see her going there.
I would, because I see a program (and especially a head coach) who can't retain elite talent and now can't even get it interested anymore (can't wait to see UCLA vs. Maryland next season). Couldn't happen to a more deserving person, IMO.

Reaction Score

Was just about to post this. Hate it for Marquette but really love her game. She's a shooter shooter. Like net doesn't move type shooter. Two years of eligibility remaining. Any team would be lucky to have. (Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Iowa State all came to mind).

Reaction Score
I would, because I see a program (and especially a head coach) who can't retain elite talent and now can't even get it interested anymore (can't wait to see UCLA vs. Maryland next season). Couldn't happen to a more deserving person, IMO.
The team is a year removed from an Elite 8 appearance, had two players drafted to the WNBA in 2023, and lost key players to unfortunate injuries at the beginning and during the season. They have a decent recruiting class coming in for 2024. One off year doesn't equate desperate to me. Time will tell over the next couple seasons.

Also, Maryland isn't the only program who have had their challenges retaining top players. Oregon is an example and they didn't make the tournament this year. Louisville have had their challenges keeping their recruits as well. Maryland has been able to recruit via the portal fairly well too, so it's a bit of give and take when it comes to transfers in my opinion.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ari Long out of Washington. Big scorer in high school who had a hard time finding minutes on the court as a Fr. in college.

Reaction Score
The team is a year removed from an Elite 8 appearance, had two players drafted to the WNBA in 2023, and lost key players to unfortunate injuries at the beginning and during the season. They have a decent recruiting class coming in for 2024. One off year doesn't equate desperate to me. Time will tell over the next couple seasons.
15-3 (2 seed in NCAA) to 9-9 (NCAA bubble team) in conference is a DRASTIC one-year drop-off for a program that once dominated this conference (IMO, the least talented and least competitive of the P5 conferences this season). This is new territory for them, and early returns show that they're not handling it well. There are no elite players on the current roster and that's being joined together by lack of elite recruits in the short term. Some of the elite recruits from their fertile recruiting ground will be their opponents coming up in 2024-25. They're not trending in the right direction.

Also, Maryland isn't the only program who have had their challenges retaining top players. Oregon is an example and they didn't make the tournament this year. Louisville have had their challenges keeping their recruits as well.

That's true, and I'm not trying to say that this is a Maryland-only issue. As someone who absolutely can't stand Jeff Walz and doesn't care too much for Kelly Graves, you won't see me shedding any tears over the downturns of their respective programs.

Maryland has been able to recruit via the portal fairly well too, so it's a bit of give and take when it comes to transfers in my opinion.

We'll see. I think they're finished as an elite program.

Reaction Score
15-3 (2 seed in NCAA) to 9-9 (NCAA bubble team) in conference is a DRASTIC one-year drop-off for a program that once dominated this conference (IMO, the least talented and least competitive of the P5 conferences this season). This is new territory for them, and early returns show that they're not handling it well. There are no elite players on the current roster and that's being joined together by lack of elite recruits in the short term. Some of the elite recruits from their fertile recruiting ground will be their opponents coming up in 2024-25. They're not trending in the right direction.

That's true, and I'm not trying to say that this is a Maryland-only issue. As someone who absolutely can't stand Jeff Walz and doesn't care too much for Kelly Graves, you won't see me shedding any tears over the downturns of their respective programs.

We'll see. I think they're finished as an elite program.
Early returns on one year versus several years is the key thing. Basing your opinion on 2023-2024 without seeing if things improve is your perogative.

Reaction Score
Early returns on one year versus several years is the key thing. Basing your opinion on 2023-2024 without seeing if things improve is your perogative.
But, as I indicated before, my opinion isn't solely based on 2023-24. The recruiting/retention issues have been in place for a while. I see a sinking ship. If you don't, that's fine. I'm not changing my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I saw a shot of her on the bench in the closing minutes of the Duke-OSU game and wondered if she:
  • would hang around and take a shot at starting (with multiple guards and the center graduating); or...
  • figures she has given it two years already and it hasn't happened.

Obviously, the second guess was right.
Her playing time for Kevin McGuff was, at best, sporadic. She can shoot and score against certain teams.

I'll be intrigued to see where she goes: another shot at a P5 team that will take a chance for a shooter that may/may not blossom. Or, will she look at a Big East team (Marquette or, say, Villanova need shooters/players).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Was just about to post this. Hate it for Marquette but really love her game. She's a shooter shooter. Like net doesn't move type shooter. Two years of eligibility remaining. Any team would be lucky to have. (Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Iowa State all came to mind).
@jdote33

Whoa. This was a cold bucket of water.
- The Golden Eagles have three or four of their five starters moving on with Hare being the only potential returner. On one hand, Hare along with promising freshman Skylar Forbes could combine with Lee Volker to lead the charge.

On the other, maybe she didn't like what she saw and decided to look out for #1.

- Institutionally, Coach Megan Duffy recruited Hare and Emily LaChapelle three years ago to allegedly solidify her backcourt. Now, for whatever reasons, both are gone. (LaChapelle said it had nothing to do with hoops.) Still, that's a major cause for concern (at least in my mind).

- As for Hare, like you said, she's got a stroke. Maybe she wants to move up to the P5 level with a team that wants/needs dependable outside shooting...which is just about anybody.
BTW, if that's the case, this is a concern, too: non-P5 conferences as training grounds?

Reaction Score
BTW, if that's the case, this is a concern, too: non-P5 conferences as training grounds?
That's the new reality. These kids want a taste of the P5 (or P4) experience and will pursue it if it's feasible. With the SEC and Big Ten having access to more resources due to those hefty television contracts, we'll start to see better/more capable players (and coaches) headed to those conferences specifically.

Reaction Score
Iowa maybe?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom