Pitt Gets Nine-Figure Donation | The Boneyard

Pitt Gets Nine-Figure Donation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Holy cap, Carnagie Melon University gets $265 million gift from same guy. Marinate should invite them as FB only.

Reaction Score
It's a big gift. I don't know if there's anything more to say. Pitt's already got a huge endowment. The fact that this isn't dedicated toward an entirely new project, but simply the bottom line, helps the university. My school recently had a country doctor donate $35 million, and the administrators were thrilled by that. It helps tremendously.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yale had an anonymous donor fund scholarships for their entire music department. I imagine that would immediately improve the caliber of the students they get and make them a top music school. If they weren't competitive with Juliard, Eastmann, etc they will be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So Pitt comes out second best on this deal.

Reaction Score
It's a big gift. I don't know if there's anything more to say. Pitt's already got a huge endowment. The fact that this isn't dedicated toward an entirely new project, but simply the bottom line, helps the university. My school recently had a country doctor donate $35 million, and the administrators were thrilled by that. It helps tremendously.
Your other (IIRC) school, BU, just got a $25 million donation from an alum. Not a bad day for your schools.

Reaction Score
Your other (IIRC) school, BU, just got a $25 million donation from an alum. Not a bad day for your schools.

Thanks for noting that, I didn't know and just looked it up. $25 million for the Humanities, Honors college, which if it's anything like it was when I was there, still emphasizes the core curriculum. Silber's handiwork.

Reaction Score
Thanks for noting that, I didn't know and just looked it up. $25 million for the Humanities, Honors college, which if it's anything like it was when I was there, still emphasizes the core curriculum. Silber's handiwork.
Nah, the Honors College is a new baby that started last year. They ditched UNI which was a terribly executed idea, and formally opened an honors school. Bobby Brown ain't no Silber, he's no fool. Though the Texan's 25 year old signatures still exist around campus.

Reaction Score
Nah, the Honors College is a new baby that started last year. They ditched UNI which was a terribly executed idea, and formally opened an honors school. Bobby Brown ain't no Silber, he's no fool. Though the Texan's 25 year old signatures still exist around campus.

Interesting. Since BU's average SAT has skyrocketed, I wonder about these Honors students. Are they geniuses or something? Or is this just a way to differentiate between the core student body and the kids with the Associates degrees?

Reaction Score
Interesting. Since BU's average SAT has skyrocketed, I wonder about these Honors students. Are they geniuses or something? Or is this just a way to differentiate between the core student body and the kids with the Associates degrees?
No idea. I graduated before the change was made. I just remember that UNI barely had a presence on campus. Finding a UNI kid was like finding a Superfan at a road game. So if they implement this right and make it a prominent part of the academic life on campus, it could go a long way for the university. We've been steadily moving up in the rankings, which is nice to see, while the hockey team has been steadily moving down in the rankings, which sucks.

Reaction Score
No idea. I graduated before the change was made. I just remember that UNI barely had a presence on campus. Finding a UNI kid was like finding a Superfan at a road game. So if they implement this right and make it a prominent part of the academic life on campus, it could go a long way for the university. We've been steadily moving up in the rankings, which is nice to see, while the hockey team has been steadily moving down in the rankings, which sucks.

UNI kids were holed up in a couple brownstones on Bay State between Towers and CAS. They were all of them in there together. I got to know them because one played Rugby with me. Of courser, the odd thing was that our scores in School of Comm. at the time were just as high as theirs, but... wow, what a waste of education at Comm.

Reaction Score
The school that Howard Stern made famous. Interestingly, while I was in the army in Augsburg I got a masters degree at the BU overseas program that they ran for the military. It was great. BU professors would come over to Germany on some kind of sabbatical and teach a couple classes each week and hang out in Bavaria. It was definitely some type of reward for something they did. But they were really great professors, lot's of fun.

Reaction Score
It indeed did make Stern famous, as well as Bill O'Reilly. Stern offered a very, very large donation to COM, $10 million, somewhat recently, which the school had to turn down. He wanted them to rename the school the Howard Stern College of Communication, and put a statue of him in front of the building.

Reaction Score
The school that Howard Stern made famous. Interestingly, while I was in the army in Augsburg I got a masters degree at the BU overseas program that they ran for the military. It was great. BU professors would come over to Germany on some kind of sabbatical and teach a couple classes each week and hang out in Bavaria. It was definitely some type of reward for something they did. But they were really great professors, lot's of fun.

Oh they were fun. I once had James O'Donnell, the European editor of Time Magazine during WW2 stationed in Germany (he'd been into Hitler's bunker a few times) as a journalism professor. This was back in late 1986. He spent half the class talking about Buckner and the Red Sox, and various other Bostonian interests. But I didn't get much out of them. Very fluffy classes. That's why I somehow got out of there while only taking 7.

Reaction Score
It indeed did make Stern famous, as well as Bill O'Reilly. Stern offered a very, very large donation to COM, $10 million, somewhat recently, which the school had to turn down. He wanted them to rename the school the Howard Stern College of Communication, and put a statue of him in front of the building.
Sounds like Howard. Cheap bastard.

Reaction Score
Oh they were fun. I once had James O'Donnell, the European editor of Time Magazine during WW2 stationed in Germany (he'd been into Hitler's bunker a few times) as a journalism professor. This was back in late 1986. He spent half the class talking about Buckner and the Red Sox, and various other Bostonian interests. But I didn't get much out of them. Very fluffy classes. That's why I somehow got out of there while only taking 7.
You had the Boston experience. Nice. I thought the professors over in Europe were pretty dedicated to teaching. Maybe because they were on sabbatical. But great guys, always ready to spend time after class. They were just having a good time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Holy cap, Carnagie Melon University gets $265 million gift from same guy. Marinate should invite them as FB only.
Love the signature picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog