Pitino's comment about defending the pick a roll... | The Boneyard

Pitino's comment about defending the pick a roll...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Having never played hoops and thus benefit from some coaching I finally Googled what a pick and roll was. Now I can clearly see it when it happens on the court.

Question: Has anyone noticed if we are defending that play better since Rick Pitino said we can't defend it?

Reaction Score
What Pitino said was fairly accurate; when Brimah guards a driving ball handler after a pick and roll, he goes for a block which leads the weak side open for an offensive rebound.

However, Louisville has essentially the perfect roster to beat UConn in this regard. Two lightning quick guards who can get to the rim in a hurry and a man-child in Harrell who can quickly grab rebounds and put them back with authority. I think overall UConn does a good job in the pick and roll; their overall defense is the main strength of the team. I just think that Louisville in particular has the personnel to beat UConn in this way, which is one of the reasons why we've struggled so much against them.

Reaction Score
Pitino said we can't guard the pick n roll? duck* Pitino.

Reaction Score
What Pitino said is true. I was shocked he said it at halftime in the AAC final. It's a problem with backside help. Often both DD and AB go for the block and no one blocks out on the weak side. Hopefully Ollie has made an adjustment.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Having never played hoops and thus benefit from some coaching I finally Googled what a pick and roll was. Now I can clearly see it when it happens on the court.

Question: Has anyone noticed if we are defending that play better since Rick Pitino said we can't defend it?

No one has run it as consistently as Lousiville since. Plus only they have the actual player matchups to destroy us off it. And Pitino was speaking specifically about Brimah getting abused on it, and he was right. Brimah would hedge and get beaten down the middle, our defense would rotate to get the guy Brimah lost going to the rim. Brimah would recover enough (he is a great athlete) to attempt to block the shot at rim and if the shot was missed, we had no one left to rebound the miss. It is how Harrel scored the majority of his points the last 2 Louisville games. When Louisville wasnt fast breaking against us, their best offense was missing shots at the rim with Brimah off his feet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We may not be able to handle the pick and roll, but Pitino needs to work on his dribbling.
He also needs better decision making before he shoots.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Brim ah might have trouble defending it, but he is also getting much better at it on offense.

Brimah. Gotta love the spell check.

Reaction Score
He was just noting (correctly) that Brimah tends to try and block everything off the screen/roll. That means there is no one coming over to block out and allowing for easy offensive rebounding opportunities; hence, us making Harrell look like a lottery pick. I still think we struggle on the screen roll, but luckily there are very few (if any) Harrell's left in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I don't know why they don't just go for a hard double / trap off the screen to make the guard give up the ball. It requires more rotation from the rest of the defense, but the one thing that does NOT happen, is scoring from the ball handler trying to go around a pick.

Reaction Score
We just struggle with Louisville as a team, period. As mentioned above they have a perfect group to attack our team. Sometimes there are just horrible matchups out there for teams (UConn in 2003 matching up with Melo's 'Cuse team comes to mind). At this point I'd be happy to play them one more time since that means UConn will be in the NCAA finals.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
What Pitino said is true. I was shocked he said it at halftime in the AAC final. It's a problem with backside help. Often both DD and AB go for the block and no one blocks out on the weak side. Hopefully Ollie has made an adjustment.
He said it during half time because he is a cocky son of a B!TCH and a big DB!

Reaction Score
He said it during half time because he is a cocky son of a B!TCH and a big DB!
Eh. Our coach said "so be it" to the end of half 3 Villanova made, and then said that we were going to win. It was just as cocky. I like those types of interviews better than most half-time ones.

Reaction Score
Knowing what your weaknesses are become strengths later if you take the lessons to heart. We are dealing with similar issues regarding UK. Kevin Ollie would have you more than ready for the pick and roll in the NC Game, lol. How cool would it be meeting there?

Interesting blog post here that some Louisville fans are talking about: http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2014/03/thank-you-louisville-from-uconn-fan.html

Last edited:

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Eh. Our coach said "so be it" to the end of half 3 Villanova made, and then said that we were going to win. It was just as cocky. I like those types of interviews better than most half-time ones.
But pitino basically gave us his game plan imo is just arrogant!
Plus he is on there team and ko is on ours so it's ok lol

August_West

Reaction Score
tzznandrew said:

I was surprised pitino said it, but not mad. You usually don't hear a coach discussing specific strategy and calling out an opposing team/player weakness. If it wasn't the huskies being abused I would have found it refreshing.

August_West

Reaction Score
patrick said:
But pitino basically gave us his game plan imo is just arrogant! Plus he is on there team and ko is on ours so it's ok lol

He knew we were powerless to stop it, not going to fix Brimah trying to block every shot in a half. That will come with time and experience. Arrogant and cocky?
Sure.
Also accurate.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But pitino basically gave us his game plan imo is just arrogant!
Plus he is on there team and ko is on ours so it's ok lol

If you think Ollie doesn't have an arrogant streak, you're kidding yourself. All players and coaches at the top level are arrogant. Some play the part better than others. I have no problem with what Pitino said. It's like Nebraska back in the 80's and 90's. Their opponents knew they were going to run the triple option and Tom Osbourne knew they knew it. They executed to the point of perfection so that it was virtually unstoppable. Same thing, IMO.

Reaction Score
You could say the same thing about the "Uber Complex" Kemba Walker Offense, lol.

That won a few games for you guys, lol.

Reaction Score
Rickey can coach. He is in love with himself, so until we can prove we can defend the P&R we are his B&^%$.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
If you think Ollie doesn't have an arrogant streak, you're kidding yourself. All players and coaches at the top level are arrogant. Some play the part better than others. I have no problem with what Pitino said. It's like Nebraska back in the 80's and 90's. Their opponents knew they were going to run the triple option and Tom Osbourne knew they knew it. They executed to the point of perfection so that it was virtually unstoppable. Same thing, IMO.
You are right,
I'm definitely looking at from a UCONN fan point of view!

I still think he is a db!:)
But that is because they beat us 3 times!

Reaction Score
Isu main thing is pick and roll. Ive watched almost every game this year but have yet to see UCONN play. Do you struggle with pick and roll?

Easier said than done but Kane is there main guy. If you contain him penetration wise you win. When all else fails he just penetrates.

Does UCONN play zone? I think thats your best way to contain Kane

Good luck. Many Iowa Hawkeye fans are rooting for UCONN. Go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member