Pitino Pissed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pitino Pissed

Reaction Score
Kids don't respond to insulting their manhood or cojones today. You listen to Hurley, and he demands and gets every bit of toughness and effort out of his kids that you can ask for, but is more relationship oriented. Pitino is old school X management style which looks at employees as tools of manufacturing, whereas Hurley is somewhere between Y and Z style, relationships and management inclusive oriented.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Way to inspire the team for a Big East Tournament run to get into the NCAA Tournament by calling the players he brought in slow and soft.
Yes. I thought I was seeing things. He told about 90% of the existing SJ players to just go into the portal before he even got there because they were not going to measure up to his standards!!!
Worst of all is he is critical of their ability rather than their performance. Mostly, that's on him. He picked them except for Soriano and a few others. Lack of speed? How did he tell Posh Alexander to hit the road?

Sounds as if he is having a psychotic breakdown. Is he setting the stage for quitting or is he telling everyone to leave again? Whew!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He wanted it all, overnight That “overnight” is realistically gonna take 2-4 seasons even with the portal. He’s old and doesn’t have the patience for that. He’ll be gone when kids don’t go there even with the NIL and portal.
Iona spotlight not big enough for Rick. SJ team not responsive enough for Rick. Um, where can I go next year where my ego can fit.

Reaction Score
Am I misremembering, or didn't he bring in a hand picked roster when he arrived? So now he's saying he picked guys who can't play?
No, he's saying his ASSISTANTS picked players that can't play

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurley regularly rips his players to shreds during the game. He was ripping the defense apart ("wet tissue" comment) to the media like a month ago, and has no problem saying that we were playing like trash in halftime and post-game comments. But it works, because Hurley built the culture and expectations that allows that type of thing to work
It's different, he was ripping the players collectively not insulting them individually by name.

Reaction Score
Rick is a slick slime ball but the guy knows how to coach. He knows exactly what he’s doing and why he’s doing it.

Reaction Score
Incredibly awful mental approach to giving your team confidence to make a run at the end of the season. This one’s easy from a fans standpoint, Rick is all about Rick here. “I’m a great coach but even someone as good as me can’t win with this group of guys. I’m not a magician just a HOF coach”

Pitiful they should take him out of the Hall for this response to his team.

Reaction Score
Pitino is past his prime and that type of "motivation" may have worked in the 90's , but not now.
Speaking that way about his players, his facilities will not help his recruiting.
St. John's is a relic of the past, like Old Dominion's women's basketball and will not be relevant for a long time, if ever.
This my view. Oh maybe they get to the tournament now and again as a12. But they have just been nothing for too long. And the days of Looie telling kids, “Youse come to St Johns and stay home and eat Mom’s cooking,“ are long past.

Reaction Score
He's pushing buttons, with an element of truth. If this doesn't get their attention, nothing will.

I remember the GOAT telling Charlie V he's the most overrated player he ever coached. That he can't play professional basketball in Timbuktu. Chaz morphed into a lottery pick

I think Geno has said this person or that person can't guard a chair. Or maybe can't defend their own shadow

On the surface it doesn't look good. Let’s see where it goes from here. If his team quits, then he has a big problem

And yes, Alleyne must be like WTF. He went from the pinnacle to what's shaping up as a lost season
Nah this ain’t it at all and I love some tough love. You want to bash the facilities and NIL in the press that’s fine. Say that you’re not tough enough and soft as a team that’s fine too. But to point out specific players weaknesses to the media is wild and uncalled for. It’s not motivation to say some are weak laterally because that is something they can’t just fix. Saying they can’t dribble isn’t motivation.

Also how is this motivation to say they lost with how they recruited and they didn’t use the portal properly when half the team is portal players. That’s such an insult. It’s not motivation that’s a man acting like a baby because he can’t back up all the junk he talked.

Reaction Score
Once again, Shaheen Holloway for B.E. coach of the year...Thanks for bringing this out of Rick! ;)

Reaction Score
Wow, that's just unfortunate for those young men.

That guy is all about himself. I imagine that transfer portal will be active when the year's over.

I wouldn't play for that guy.
One way

Reaction Score
This is the worst reaction to losing I've ever seen from a coach. I wouldn't want him as my school's coach after this reaction. He crossed a number of lines. He went after his players, by name, and not about their effort. He literally just said they aren't good enough. That's brutal. He also crapped on the school and its facilities. This has been said, above, but this is very different than a coach calling out a player's effort to motivate him. Couple this with Rick running off a bunch of guys that are doing great, elsewhere, and he has nobody to blame but himself. And, if this is the fault of his assistants, then blame them, not the players.

If I'm a coach going up against Pitino in a recruiting battle, I'm coming up with a dossier that shows how he ran out a bunch of good players that had been in the program for years, then brought in a bunch of "hired guns" who he now feels weren't as good as he thought so he publicly sold them out. That's two years of players that were told they aren't good enough. At some point it's not the players, Rick, it's you. No way I let my kid play at St. John's, for Rick Pitino, over a long list of coaches that don't go out of their way to hurt their players yet still have as much NIL available.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley respect

Reaction Score
Pitino not being able to convince Walter Clayton Jr to come with him from Iona - which resulted in him having to get Dingle - really hurt them. That Clayton kid is really really good. Dingle is not a high level caliber player.

Reaction Score
I read the thread title earlier today before I had my coffee and wondered, what did he piss on? Is this the latest scandal?

Reaction Score

The knew exactly what he signed up for. He’s blasting the players’ shortcomings. That’s rich. He is the one to blame as he signed players with physical limitations. Give me a break.

Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if their guards came out playing like Stanley next game

the-office-stanley.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32