Pitino Pissed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pitino Pissed

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In Rick's mind, he may think of it as simply owning up to the mistakes he made putting the team together. But he might want to try thinking a little before he speaks moving forward, because right now this feels eerily similar to Boeheim's final years at Syracuse.
He blamed his assistants for bringing in the wrong type of players. He isn't owning up to anything, he's trying to publicly absolve himself from blame.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best part is several of the kids Rick forced out are doing well at other schools.

Addae-Wusu, Posh Alexander, AJ Storr, and David Jones would all be starters and upgrades over those who replaced them.

The kids who got the boot actually were given an opportunity for a fresh start.

Those kids who took the snake oil and came to SJU got an early life lesson of learning whose judgement to trust and learning who has their best interest at heart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No sympathy at all. He ran his entire roster out of town and hand selected almost everybody through the portal. If they’re bad at defense, or not tough enough, or too slow, or just not good, that means that Pitino whiffed on them all during recruiting, and/or they are good players but he can’t coach them

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

You lose the NY Post, you lose NYers....

It does appear that he went a little too far, we'll learn soon enough

The the Post also pointed out he's been much better in year 2 than year 1 at every school he coached

My favorite part was when they mentioned he's going to deal with a Supernova in UConn every year

Reaction Score
No sympathy at all. He ran his entire roster out of town and hand selected almost everybody through the portal. If they’re bad at defense, or not tough enough, or too slow, or just not good, that means that Pitino whiffed on them all during recruiting, and/or they are good players but he can’t coach them
Exactly, he picked them and he's coaching them. If he needs someone to blame he should look in the mirror. Narcissists never take responsibility. They blame others for their own mistakes. Slick Rick thought he would pimp walk his way back into the Big East and start taking names. He ate up all the prodigal son returns media hype and even talked some junk. Now that he's failing to live up to the hype, he's embarrassed and publicly blaming the players lack of physical attributes who he himself hand picked.

Reaction Score
I guess trying to pick a fight with Hurley didn’t work, so he decided to battle his whole team for a little excitement. I get that coaches use press conferences to speak to their players, but this was wild. He wasn’t calling out effort, he was saying they lack talent and that they try really hard but are just kind of awful. Then, he calls out his assistants for bringing him bad players.

This guy consistently, at every job he has had, blames everybody else and plays the victim. They have Georgetown up next and have a good shot to win. If they can beat the second worse team in the conference, he’ll act like it it was his plan all along to motivate his guys. Save the public temper tantrum and coach your guys.

Reaction Score
I mean, if I played for Pitino and he said this, I’d feel like quitting after this quote:

Too bad the NIT isn’t in The Garden this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is Pitino making per year in this contract? St. John’s has tried everything including their own hero Mullens who was run out so where do they have to go?
Pitino will happily stick around to cash those large checks and he’ll probably get better players, but it ain’t easy and he and St.John’s fans are finding out.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He brought in 2 kids from the Ivy in Ledlum and Dingle whose numbers were cut in half in the Big East. If he had added Naheim and Daniss Jenkins to Soriano, Addae Wusu and Storr he would have had a better team

Reaction Score
Pitino been crying all season long! Its kinda funny to be honest, dude was one of the top 3 cheaters in the game year in and year out. Now there is NIL and all schools pay their kids and hes lost his edge. I for one couldnt be happier to see him struggle although i feel for all the kids that he brought in year 1. I hope they all walk out on him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I mean, if I played for Pitino and he said this, I’d feel like quitting after this quote:

I love how when referring to recruiting it was we while when referring to coaching it was I.

Among other things, he brings narcissism to a new level.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have no sympathy for Petino. He made his bed, now he has to sleep in it. His arrogance got him this time. He's lost the team.

You dump practically a whole team and bring in all new to fill in the holes. It's a crapshoot. Petino lost. One could see early on that this version of the Johnnies was questionable.

BTW - I'll take Hurley ant day in the week over Petino.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
It’s not fair when everyone gets to pay their players!
Proud Of You Good Job GIF by Lucas and Friends by RV AppStudios

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Good that the Post didn't name the players Pitino called out. But as someone said tough to make it in NY sports without the Post on your side

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

If the Johnnies were good this year, I wonder if he would still be saying “we”. I doubt it. I used to work with people like that in the corporate world. When things go well, it’s “I”, when something goes wrong, it’s “we”. Needless to say I don’t work there anymore and his staff and players should start looking for greener pastures also.

Edit: Missed post #40 by @FfldCntyFan saying essentially the same thing.

Reaction Score
Pitino is past his prime and that type of "motivation" may have worked in the 90's , but not now.
Speaking that way about his players, his facilities will not help his recruiting.
St. John's is a relic of the past, like Old Dominion's women's basketball and will not be relevant for a long time, if ever.

Reaction Score
Pitino trying to motivate his players -but I’m not sure that type of motivation works these days.
Hurley regularly rips his players to shreds during the game. He was ripping the defense apart ("wet tissue" comment) to the media like a month ago, and has no problem saying that we were playing like trash in halftime and post-game comments. But it works, because Hurley built the culture and expectations that allows that type of thing to work

It's true that the media didn't do Pitino favors by hyping up SJU too much before the season, but he hand picked his entire roster and hasn't built anything at St Johns that allows him to act like that. He's earned the benefit of the doubt as a coach since he's one of the best to ever do it, but his culture is garbage right now and his players won't respond to that style unless there's a culture that it fits into

He'll get there after a few years because that's just what he does, but he's acting ahead of schedule. And tantrums like that will only alienate the fanbase

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Am I misremembering, or didn't he bring in a hand picked roster when he arrived? So now he's saying he picked guys who can't play?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

He wanted a roster of shooters and floor spacers but he doesn't know how to coach players who excel like that in the modern game. Which is a bit odd considering what he did at PC.

Reaction Score
He has Gtown twice, Butler, DePaul, Creighton. That’s an easy ending for them, they had better go 4-1

Reaction Score
Alleyne left because we were actively pursuing a shooting guard in the portal.,plus we had the super freshman recruits
He was being recruited over so Hurley did not see him as a starter . Kids sometimes see themselves as something they’re not and make the change to try their luck. In his case it hasn’t worked out as he planned .
The real question is would we be better if he stayed .
A second unit of Diarra , Johnson , Alleyne , Stewart ,and Ball
would have been interesting no scary for our opponents.
Alleyne was gone before the portal opened up so dont think what you're saying is accurate. Even if Hurley had made it known that we would be looking for another shooting guard in the portal, chances are it would be a Joey C or Timberlake level player. Alleyne could have been starting for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom