Pitino doing Pitino | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pitino doing Pitino

Reaction Score
Mentioned this in another thread, but I think this could set a dangerous precedent in the NIL era. If bigger schools regularly started adding not just scholarship level players, but top 100 recruits, on walk-on deals, it would really dilute the talent pool of schools with less money.

I’m sure there are bigger fish to fry in terms of navigating NIL fairly, but seems like NCAA has to do something

Reaction Score
Do you really think the ncaa cares about schools with little money? If Central CT did one tenth of the things UNC, Kansas, Duke, Louisville or any other bigger schools did they would have received the death penalty

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I don't feel bad for Alleyne nor do I wish any ill will on him. He is in his fifth year of college basketball and this is his third team. He should be eyes wide open about his choices and the risk/reward of those choices.
Yeah and there are worse things in life than being a young D1 athlete, probably getting paid while getting a degree from a good school and living in NYC where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano and the networking opportunities are endless in the event that pro basketball doesn’t work out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah and there are worse things in life than being a young D1 athlete, probably getting paid while getting a degree from a good school and living in NYC where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano and the networking opportunities are endless in the event that pro basketball doesn’t work out.

Not disagreeing at all. I was talking from a basketball perspective and playing time. If the NYC life outside of basketball is his thing, he'll have a blast.

Reaction Score
Salmon of Capistrano? Like Rome, the infernal city?

Reaction Score
I think the perception of NIL is nowhere near the reality. I don't think nearly as many players are getting direct money as people believe. Nor are the pardays as large.

Rutty Fans believe we gave Spencer a $200,000 bag. I seriously doubt that.

Reaction Score
I think the perception of NIL is nowhere near the reality. I don't think nearly as many players are getting direct money as people believe. Nor are the pardays as large.

I also have my doubts about that number, but for the opposite reason. I'd imagine the bag was much larger

Reaction Score
Mentioned this in another thread, but I think this could set a dangerous precedent in the NIL era. If bigger schools regularly started adding not just scholarship level players, but top 100 recruits, on walk-on deals, it would really dilute the talent pool of schools with less money.

I’m sure there are bigger fish to fry in terms of navigating NIL fairly, but seems like NCAA has to do something
It could be argued that NIL is actually leveling the playing field. Historically college football and basketball have been the most competitively stratified sports in America, so I guess that's not saying much.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
It could be argued that NIL is actually leveling the playing field. Historically college football and basketball have been the most competitively stratified sports in America, so I guess that's not saying much.
Is a College Draft is a future possibility?

Sick Puppy

Reaction Score
Is a College Draft is a future possibility?
OK, started off as a statement of fact and changed my mind to a question:

Is a college draft a future possibility?

Reaction Score
NY Post has Pitino story every other day. Did a 2 pager last week. Hot stuff in NYC.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Salmon of Capistrano? Like Rome, the infernal city?
f07e9ead-4345-49db-9a59-9eb6197eb64c_text.gif

Well played @StllH8L8ner

Sick Puppy

Reaction Score
I'm not sure "Pitino doing Pitino" is an insult.
It's kind of an insult :) The guy bends and breaks rules. I'm not a fan of men (I use the term loosely) like that plus I'm a self professed OG homer. Who knows how UConn was operating in the past.

He's no Jim Calhoun, but he's produced program building results consistently and it's predictable the Johnnies will be giving the Huskies their money's worth in short order. I'll give him that but he's not the man I'd ask to check in on the wife and kids while I'm out of town.

Reaction Score
As a Connecticut fan, I for one am thrilled with Pitino in the Big East! As Goodman noted, Pitino's coaching chops alone make St John's relevant nationally, and a top 25 team. Add his energy, drive, NYC and NIL, and you have an attractive destination for high level freshmen and transfers. No reason to begrudge the guy. He's not perfect, but who is? He was banished for many years, "served his time", and ultimately the NCAA couldn't prove the most serious allegations.

Can't wait for Pitino back in Gampel!

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s NIL money provided through the Moonlite BunnyRanch
One wonders if he and Cal scout those preferences ahead of time like our staff scouts the other “snacks” our recruits prefer lol

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Its not near reality most of the time. But some of the times it actually is. And people dont understand what I've been saying .Its the wild west because money is flying but some of this is thinly veiled performance benchmarks. Many players don't meet them. Thus the comments about "this player didnt get THAT" ! And that is the most insidious part of the NIL right now. Because there are actually no rules, there are actually no rules. Saul Goodman or @CL82 could write a performance based contract NIL for a player and have it read it is for "Name, image, likeness"

I would venture to guess (and its a guess, I know nothing, jon snow) that Cam has the biggest performance "guarantee" right now.

Reaction Score
Fanta, with a knob polishing post with no opinion of the players losing their schollie.
Nobody is losing scholarships I’ve heard. And Pitino plans on bringing in a 15th player in this class if you can believe that. SJU will also be hiring a GM for the basketball program imminently.

Reaction Score
One wonders if he and Cal scout those preferences ahead of time like our staff scouts the other “snacks” our recruits prefer lol

Good call. Makes me think of how the Yankees corted Cole

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom