Pistol Paige | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pistol Paige

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I know many people are trying to compare Paige to Diana. Watching her play her game seems much more like Pistol Pete Maravich.
I seriously believe you are wrong and misguided. A Pistol Pete team NEVER won a championship. He was all about flash and individual attention which is 180° out of sync with Paige.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I was in the 8th grade and I saw Murphy play for Niagara. His pregame warm ups where he made shot after shot, and passes in the layup line, I still remember. As good as the players are today, not many could hold a candle to Murphy.
And oh boy!!!, could Cal Murphy jump...two handed dunks from a guy who was 5'9"...13 year pro (San Diego/ Houston Rockets)...shortest player to ever to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Trivia Question: What was Calvin Murphy's claim to fame before basketball?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And oh boy!!!, could Cal Murphy jump...two handed dunks from a guy who was 5'9"...13 year pro (San Diego/ Houston Rockets)...shortest player to ever to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Trivia Question: What was Calvin Murphy's claim to fame before basketball?
Baton twirling. He was the halftime entertainment for the Buffalo Bills, possibly why he chose Niagara. Absolute world-class hand-eye coordination.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At the NBA level, Calvin was the fastest guy in the league and the best shooter--in the era BEFORE the 3-point shot. And he was tough. Ask Sidney Wicks about his bloody nose.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Bingo for Milford Husky...he won the national baton twirling championship in the 8th grade...who would have figured...oh...I should have known that MilfordHusky was in the house... lol :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bingo for Milford Husky...he won the national baton twirling championship in the 8th grade...who would have figured...oh...I should have known that MilfordHusky was in the house... lol :)
Like Tony, I played on the same court as Murphy once. Through a friend of a friend, he came to visit us at Grove Circle one day. There should be a plaque noting that. Yes, 35' jumpers and reverse dunks. He was several levels above everyone else there. I followed his career closely.

Reaction Score
my wife is from Boston and she absolutely loves Lena's .... but the first time she visited NOLA she fell in love with a Muffuletta sandwich

1608001495339.png

Reaction Score
I know many people are trying to compare Paige to Diana. Watching her play her game seems much more like Pistol Pete Maravich. The way she switches hands, scoops the ball, spins in the lane and drops a mid range shot. For those not old enough to have seen highlights of Pistol Pete look them up. He was probably the most skilled player handling a basketball EVER! They both seem to play in control and like ch they can figure out what's going to happen next before anyone else.
I was at UGA when Pistol Pete was at LSU so was lucky enough to see him play
Absolutely amazing. At the end of one game the Pistol had the ball and the UGA players were trying to foul him. To make a long story short all 5 GA players chased him around the court like the Keystone Kops and couldn’t lay a hand on him. When the clock ran out he dribbled to the corner drilled a last second shot and just ran off the court to the locker room without even seeing the ball go in the basket. The roar of the crowd told. him that it did. We all spontaneously gave him a standing ovation
for the greatness we had all just witnessed.
Unforgettable

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Paige is not as flamboyant. Maybe Ernie D. from Providence is a better comparison. Maybe.
I like a Emanuel "Manu" David Ginóbili as a comparison. All about team and winning championships with a flair but not a flamboyance. Pistol Pete like Allen Iverson was a great streetball player but didn't grasp team basketball at all.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I like a Emanuel "Manu" David Ginóbili as a comparison. All about team and winning championships with a flair but not a flamboyance. Pistol Pete like Allen Iverson was a great streetball player but didn't grasp team basketball at all.
I believe his father had a lot to do with that. He let Pistol do whatever he wanted to do in college. By the time he got to the NBA it was ingrained in him.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
OK lets get real, after reading all the posts about who Paige reminds me of. After watching over 25 of her HS and her AAU games I believe Paige is unique in the woman's game. She has bits and little pieces of a number of former pro players however the player that jumps to the front of my mind my come as a surprise to most . Paige is the reincarnation of the great Jerry Sloan. Sloan was the floor leader a good pull up jump shooter, went down low with determination, he had pinpoint passing accuracy and knew where his teammates were and where they were going. Jerry was a hard nosed player, he took no garbage from the opposition got a good number of rebounds and could trash talk with the best of them. Jerry and Paige were both blessed with a nasty pair of elbows.
Yes Paige reminds me so much of Jerry Sloan and his game. The one big difference being Paige is more light hearted and fun loving. I truly enjoyed watching Sloan play and relish and enjoy Paige even more. I also believe Paige will be one in the future that players are compared to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK lets get real, after reading all the posts about who Paige reminds me of. After watching over 25 of her HS and her AAU games I believe Paige is unique in the woman's game. She has bits and little pieces of a number of former pro players however the player that jumps to the front of my mind my come as a surprise to most . Paige is the reincarnation of the great Jerry Sloan. Sloan was the floor leader a good pull up jump shooter, went down low with determination, he had pinpoint passing accuracy and knew where his teammates were and where they were going. Jerry was a hard nosed player, he took no garbage from the opposition got a good number of rebounds and could trash talk with the best of them. Jerry and Paige were both blessed with a nasty pair of elbows.
Yes Paige reminds me so much of Jerry Sloan and his game. The one big difference being Paige is more light hearted and fun loving. I truly enjoyed watching Sloan play and relish and enjoy Paige even more. I also believe Paige will be one in the future that players are compared to.

Interesting observation. Sloan was much more of a fighter (even as a coach) than Paige will ever be. And he never averaged 19 points a game (14.0 for his career) and only averaged 2.5 assists a game, figures I expect Paige to exceed. Although I don't see her rebounding like Sloan.

Reaction Score
I was at SMU when Gene Phillips had the second best scoring average in the NCAA. From memory it was about 33 ppg ... Pistol Pete was at 44 ppg that year. That's how far ahead of the pack he was ...

Reaction Score
Paige is not as flamboyant. Maybe Ernie D. from Providence is a better comparison. Maybe.
I played with Ernie at St Thomas Moore and played him on vs one everyday. Paige is very much like him in court vision and the ability to score at will if necessary. She has moves and counter moves to sequences just like Ernie. Ernie would go play with the Celtics on the weekend out of season and come back to campus say I can play we those guys. Paige has that same Swagger. He went on to become NBA rookie of the year. Paige I believe could play right now in the WNBA. She has the shot and the ability to get to the hoop and the passing skills of a WNBA Allstar. Geno will get her man to man Defense in order by the time she leaves. He will also win some championships with her and the group of players that will surround her.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Interesting observation. Sloan was much more of a fighter (even as a coach) than Paige will ever be. And he never averaged 19 points a game (14.0 for his career) and only averaged 2.5 assists a game, figures I expect Paige to exceed. Although I don't see her rebounding like Sloan.
I agree 100% my observation was not on the level of talent but on the way their style of play is so similar. Also Sloan was on such talented teams with the Bulls he was not the center of attention like Paige is. While Sloan was a fighter all the time Paige is developing his determination and maybe in time his grit.
So glad someone remembers Sloan as a player, I enjoyed your response.

Reaction Score
Paige finishes around the basket like Kyrie Irving and that’s a 100% compliment. I believe there’s a video out there of her claiming she studies his "layup package" & it’s very evident. Also she sees plays ahead unlike any freshman I’ve seen. We’re in for a treat Husky fans!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige finishes around the basket like Kyrie Irving and that’s a 100% compliment. I believe there’s a video out there of her claiming she studies his "layup package" & it’s very evident. Also she sees plays ahead unlike any freshman I’ve seen. We’re in for a treat Husky fans!

Thank god that is where the similarities end. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree 100% my observation was not on the level of talent but on the way their style of play is so similar. Also Sloan was on such talented teams with the Bulls he was not the center of attention like Paige is. While Sloan was a fighter all the time Paige is developing his determination and maybe in time his grit.
So glad someone remembers Sloan as a player, I enjoyed your response.

If you love Sloan, there were some beautiful tributes to him following his recent death. So many great stories. They don't make them like him anymore.

Reaction Score

I have to agree, Sloan was a good offensive player but that’s as far as it goes on that end of the court. But hard nosed and nasty on the defensive end and as a rebounding guard. He and Norm Van Lier combined to form one of the “toughest” back courts the NBA ever saw. With all due respect, I really don’t see the Bueckers / Sloan comparison except in the toughness department, which I believe is where Moosejaw was going.

Reaction Score
But will CD let her wear floppy socks?

Seriously, though, Pete was amazing. Died way too young of a heart attack (on a basketball court) at 40. He averaged 24 points and 5 1/2 assists in his 10 year NBA career and, but for injuries, would have been in the HOF long ago.

Pete Maravich was enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1987.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom