Picking on Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Picking on Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The rest of the NCAA would LOVE to have your team's and coach's problems.

Truthfully, I thought former RU FB coach Greg Schiano said it best - don't pick on the players, pick on coaches - their paid the big bucks to put up with it! That said, I personally don't go for so much criticism period.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Personally, I see no benefit in being critical of the players. When I see comments that are pure hatred I discount the comment and think less of the poster. I think most people here do the same.

is this just UCONN players or every player who plays WCBB, how about when they talk about the coaches?

Reaction Score
Criticism of players should be off limits no matter what the reason. Any player, not just UCONN players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Criticism of players should be off limits no matter what the reason. Any player, not just UCONN players.
I disagree. Trashing players (calling them names, saying "she's a waste of a scholarship", etc) and spreading harmful speculation (e.g. "I heard a rumor she's pregnant") are off limits but criticizing the play of basketball players is a valid activity on fan forums.

Reaction Score
is this just UCONN players or every player who plays WCBB, how about when they talk about the coaches?
I take this statement back. What I meant was exactly what HuskyNan said above so clearly. Without being critical of a player's actions, praise becomes meaningless and all we are is policically correct. No need to be mean about it, whether it's about player, coach, members of the Boneyard, or even announcers!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I take this statement back. What I meant was exactly what HuskyNan said above so clearly. Without being critical of a player's actions, praise becomes meaningless and all we are is policically correct. No need to be mean about it, whether it's about player, coach, members of the Boneyard, or even announcers!
It comes down to what my mother always told me.

It's not what you say, but how you say it. While the content of the critisism might be valid, there are some on here that phrase it in an insulting way.

The caviot with that is that "insulting" is a matter of opinion. What I find insulting is benign to others.

So, I guess we will be having this back and forth on critical vs insulting until the cows come home. Or until UConn wins the NC this year. And even then, some will critique the winning championship game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The First Amendment obviously does not entitle you to say anything you want on a private message board. However, as a guiding principle on which our country was founded, freedom of expression is something I deeply believe in. As such, I lean towards erring on the side of letting people discuss ideas freely and openly.

Moreover, given that this is a fanbase that's not used to losing, especially not shocking upsets at home on Senior Night, and given the anonimity provided by a message board, I would say the comments on here have been pretty tame. Look at the men's board sometime. Go to a football board during the season, especially one wth a rabid CFB fanbase like Bama, Texas, OU, etc. Geno treats his kids like basketball players who happen to be young women. I'd suggest that's an example worth following. Without any information about the email TonyC received, such as who it was from or what specific content they were upset about, I have no basis for commenting on whether someone really did cross a line that shouldn't be crossed. Generally speaking, I'd imagine most recruits' families are happy that there are avid, passionate fans of WBB at UConn in enough critical mass to have a message board because you don't get that everywhere.

We are dealing with an imperfect team with imperfect players. The crazy thing is that, three times in UConn's history, we have had something remarkably close to perfect teams with perfect players (I don't consider 1995 such a team, perfect record notwithstanding, though it was damn good, obviously). It is not a crime to analyze and discuss the ways in which this team is imperfect. I do agree that criticizing someone's personal qualities and not her game, being overly hyperbolic, and speculation/rumor-mongering don't do the board or the program any good, but this board's moderators do a much better job than most keeping that stuff off of here.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The First Amendment obviously does not entitle you to say anything you want on a private message board. However, as a guiding principle on which our country was founded, freedom of expression is something I deeply believe in. As such, I lean towards erring on the side of letting people discuss ideas freely and openly.

Moreover, given that this is a fanbase that's not used to losing, especially not shocking upsets at home on Senior Night, and given the anonimity provided by a message board, I would say the comments on here have been pretty tame. Look at the men's board sometime. Go to a football board during the season, especially one wth a rabid CFB fanbase like Bama, Texas, OU, etc. Geno treats his kids like basketball players who happen to be young women. I'd suggest that's an example worth following. Without any information about the email TonyC received, such as who it was from or what specific content they were upset about, I have no basis for commenting on whether someone really did cross a line that shouldn't be crossed. Generally speaking, I'd imagine most recruits' families are happy that there are avid, passionate fans of WBB at UConn in enough critical mass to have a message board because you don't get that everywhere.

We are dealing with an imperfect team with imperfect players. The crazy thing is that, three times in UConn's history, we have had something remarkably close to perfect teams with perfect players (I don't consider 1995 such a team, perfect record notwithstanding, though it was damn good, obviously). It is not a crime to analyze and discuss the ways in which this team is imperfect. I do agree that criticizing someone's personal qualities and not her game, being overly hyperbolic, and speculation/rumor-mongering don't do the board or the program any good, but this board's moderators do a much better job than most keeping that stuff off of here.

Pretty much agree. I don't have issues with posters being critical. And when, in my opinion, the post goes past that and into insulting, I will either ignore it or tell that poster how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom