Picking on Players | The Boneyard

Picking on Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I know we're a little frustrated with the STJ loss. I just recieved an email quoting posters who are picking on players. Lets nip this in the bud before it gets around. We dont need comments directed at players that could hurt their feelings. Some of you may disagree and thats ok but I just recieved an email and thats not ok. We've got enough to worry about. Dont forget we have a couple of recruits whos coaches are following the board.

Reaction Score
These are just kids and they already have tons of pressure to perform. Cut the BS and just cheer them on!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Tony - The problem is the fuzzy line(s) between analysis, opinion and finger pointing/blaming/bashing - whatever. It's all in the eye of the beholder and I believe some posters have tinted vision.
I have read nothing post game that trashed a player. Most of what posters are saying are variations of what has already been said publicly by the coaching staff. If a poster says that player shot poorly, or didn't rebound, or turned the ball over is that bashing or simply an analysis of what happened in the game?

Dolson did not play well - check CD and GA said that
Hayes missed the defensive assignment - check GA said that
Faris' not scoring impacts the team - check GA said that
Hartley fouled too soon - check GA said that
I could go on . . .

As for where the line lies - I leave that up to the mods.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
My line: would you say it directly to a player as you wrote it. If no, consider a rewrite. Or, consider how you would want your boss to critique you.

Reaction Score
These are just kids and they already have tons of pressure to perform. Cut the BS and just cheer them on!
Please folks, let's relax and realize the magnitude of all the records our young ladies have made and broken. If we duplicated this present record, wouldn't we take that right now? I for one hope this does for this years team what it's done in the past.Make them re-focus and
bury the rest of out opponents

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I know we're a little frustrated with the STJ loss. I just recieved an email quoting posters who are picking on players. Lets nip this in the bud before it gets around. We dont need comments directed at players that could hurt their feelings. Some of you may disagree and thats ok but I just recieved an email and thats not ok. We've got enough to worry about. Dont forget we have a couple of recruits whos coaches are following the board.

I will offer a friendly amendment that for those creating new threads, consider *not* putting the player's name prominently in the thread title if the thread is going to be on the negative/critique side. (If it's going to be a positive/praise type of post, go right ahead!)

Having said that, I don't quite understand what you're talking about when you said you "received an email" and "that's not OK." Without naming names re: the sender, can you be more specific?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
My line: would you say it directly to a player as you wrote it. If no, consider a rewrite. Or, consider how you would want your boss to critique you.

Too true! And may I add, if someone said this about a member of YOUR family, how would you take it? There are ways to comment and critique that are less, shall we say, hurtful/harmful than others. Criticism is okay by me. Sniping, not so much.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Absolutely. I was taught to call it as you see it. Message board or face to face it makes no difference. Of course that's gotten me into trouble in the past. It took a while for me to realize that when my wife asked me if her new jeans made her look fat that yes was not the answer she wanted to hear.

sTu

Reaction Score
I will offer a friendly amendment that for those creating new threads, consider *not* putting the player's name prominently in the thread title if the thread is going to be on the negative/critique side. (If it's going to be a positive/praise type of post, go right ahead!)

I agree, yet it will not happen in an online community. Just the way it is. Ignore button works well though. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Of course that's gotten me into trouble in the past. It took a while for me to realize that when my wife asked me if her new jeans made her look fat that yes was not the answer she wanted to hear.
And don't ever say....of course not, you look fat with or without the jeans. ;)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but, if I were a player, the LAST place I'd go would be a fan message board, especially after a tough loss.

As an aside, a young kid named Cochran, who was recently on Survivor, made the mistake of checking message boards after the show ended. Although his friends had told him what a great job he did, the message boards criticized him unmercilessly. Moral of the story: Don't read message boards if you are easily offended.

Reaction Score
I don't give a hoot about unnamed complainers who kvetch to TonyC. They're weasels.

Show your colors or shut up.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The ironic thing is that all the kvetchers are wearing the same color - it's all just differing shades of NFB.

Reaction Score
I don't give a hoot about unnamed complainers who kvetch to TonyC. They're weasels.

I'm really liking old Joe as your avatar. May have to extend its time to the next NC.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

Sounds like a disciple of Mr Ray Dalio - LMAO

btw I agree

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

I'm actually surprised it took this long for a post like this to appear.

Lighten up - I haven't seen a single post that I would call mean spirited. No one asks posters to chill when they lavish more than a little unearned (or earned) praise on players.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Directly and to the point. What is good and what is bad. Create a plan to improve the good and eradicate the bad

Yes, but a good manager does this in private, with his/her real name attached to and responsible for the evaluation. Not the same as a message board where pseuds provide personal cover.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm really liking old Joe as your avatar. May have to extend its time to the next NC.
I'm wondering if we will see Sadie Hawkins since her day is coming up.

Reaction Score
I am not mad or upset about this loss. I have no right to be. These young women bust their tails everyday. We are all human and made imperfect. I'd rather have them lose now than the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. Now that would be upsetting.

GO UCONN

Reaction Score
Anyone who plays organized sports must develop a tolerance for criticism and an ability not to take praise too seriously. I think we're deluding ourselves if we think that what's said on this or any other board is taken seriously by the players. The girls would not even dream of playing for Uconn if their skin was so thin that they could not handle criticism. When they joined the team they also signed up for coping with dumb things said by some fans.

The Moderators can control what is said here but they cannot protect the players from criticism. There are plenty of other boards that will not treat Uconn players so gently and what can the Mods do about that? Nothing.

Personally, I see no benefit in being critical of the players. When I see comments that are pure hatred I discount the comment and think less of the poster. I think most people here do the same.

When Moderators censor a board to the extent that it is merely an admiration society, it loses it's value. If someone says something you don't like, attack what they said. Don't attack the poster. Members of the forum are pretty good at showing nasty posters the error of their ways.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No, No! I've sat next to Wonk, quite recently. That really is a picture of him! (not that it doesn't resemble Joe B., but..)

Reaction Score
No, No! I've sat next to Wonk, quite recently. That really is a picture of him! (not that it doesn't resemble Joe B., but..)
Watch out, or I'll marry your daughter on Sadie Hawkins Day! By the way, have any of your Shmoos gone missing lately?

Heh, heh, heh ...
ShmooCooper.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Directly and to the point. What is good and what is bad. Create a plan to improve the good and eradicate the bad.
Agreed and he does it every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01