Pick and role? | The Boneyard

Pick and role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is amazing to me that not only can we do nothing offensively with pick and role when clearly that is what KO should know based on all his NBA experience, but on the other side of the ball we get carved up on pick and role.

Offensively as someone said on another thread, we NEVER get the ball back to the post, either on a role or pop (DD did the pop great last year). So their big hedges out and we are now double teamed. Our guards need to be able to use the screen, attack the basket and either finish (asking a lot) or kick to someone else who is open due to help defense.

Defensively against the P&R, we allowed way too much penetration, then had to over help which allowed open dunks. Also, I can't figure out for the life of me, why we proactively double their post, even away from the basket when AB is on them? We blindly double leaving man wide open. We can't defend it and can't execute it offensively............

Reaction Score
It is amazing to me that not only can we do nothing offensively with pick and role when clearly that is what KO should know based on all his NBA experience, but on the other side of the ball we get carved up on pick and role.

Offensively as someone said on another thread, we NEVER get the ball back to the post, either on a role or pop (DD did the pop great last year). So their big hedges out and we are now double teamed. Our guards need to be able to use the screen, attack the basket and either finish (asking a lot) or kick to someone else who is open due to help defense.

Defensively against the P&R, we allowed way too much penetration, then had to over help which allowed open dunks. Also, I can't figure out for the life of me, why we proactively double their post, even away from the basket when AB is on them? We blindly double leaving man wide open. We can't defend it and can't execute it offensively..

SHONN MILLER!

As I said in a separate thread this guy is the EPITOME of a perfect pick-and-roll player. With his athleticism and mid-range shot-making ability we should be getting him back the ball on a pick-and-roll every offensive set for either a posterized dunk or a pull up 10-15 footer. This should be the main focus in their practices but you just don't see it in the games. All I'm seeing is indecision with hot-potato along the 3 pt arc until there's 5 seconds left in the shot clock

Reaction Score
You know I have been saying this for a while this season, but how in the world does a division 1 ball handler not know how to properly use a screen? and despite all my screaming and hitching the other night, my wife, who doesn't understand bball actually agreed with me. How can you effectively use the PnR when your ball handler consistently leaves a 1 to 2 sometimes 5 foot gap between himself and the screener??! It's inexcusable on this level, it makes the PnR completely ineffective. Any of you who have DVR please go back and just see how bad we are in this aspect. I am never a fan of calling out coaches for players being dumb EXCEPT when it happens through the course of the season with no sign of improvement. It's plain as day in live view, how in the world does someone not catch it during film reviews?

Ps I have watched many games not including UConn, and it might seem to be a problem across many teams. Not a consolation but something I thought worthy of noting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom