Piath Gabriel transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Piath Gabriel transferring

Reaction Score
I wish her nothing but a great future and thank her for testing the waters here. She will be a great teammate wherever she lands just as she was here I am sure.
Having said that I hope it is not somewhere that she transforms and blossoms over night and comes back to haunt us. ;)

Reaction Score
119 minutes? OK, more than I would have guessed. I could have spent 3 or 4 minutes to look that up, shame on lazy me. The question, "how many minutes?" was meant to be rhetorical...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like all Huskies who transfer, I will miss her. She was fun to watch, the fans always went bananas whenever she scored or grabbed a rebound or got a block, and she seemed to be a great bench presence and teammate.

Best of luck - I hope she goes to a less competitive school and knocks it out of the park!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nika fake news scare??? I totally missed that..what's up?
Yesterday a fake Twitter account (since deleted) reported that Nika had entered the portal. It was quickly debunked and I believe the thread was (correctly) deleted.
So nothing is up.

Reaction Score
This is the world we are in now, most non-rotation players will transfer because they can play immediately. Using the transfer portal is no longer optional.

sun

Reaction Score
I guess Piath could have some academic reasons for leaving since she's been prevented from attending games more than once.
Having UConn on her resume should help her find a new school pretty easily.
Geno will put in a good word for her if needed.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Piath, there were plenty of opportunities to get her and Amari playing time during
the season. That did not happen for some reason. I wish her the best and will be following her
wherever she ends up. This is really not a surprise to me. I could see this coming.

Good luck Piath

Reaction Score
This forces the need to bring in a big from the portal. Good luck Paith !!!

Reaction Score
There are two good DII schools in Manchester or she would get minutes at low to mid level D I.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One thing that really bothers me about hearing that a Husky is transferring is the recent statement Geno where he said (paraphrasing) that none of his good players have left (or something to that effect). For some reason, that made me sad. I immediately thought of Courtney Ekmark, Natalie Butler, Saylor Poffenbarger and Mir McLean. I wonder how Piath feels about now... (and I am guessing/hoping that Piath and Geno had a good discussion before she decided)
Oh well.
I can't quote his statement exactly either, but I recall it as being closer to "No one who has left the UConn program has been an impact player on a Top 20 team."

That is not as insulting to the players that left as the version that you offered.

Of course, there is the case of Elena Della Donne, but that is a VERY special case. And even in her case, the University of Delaware would not qualify as a top-level team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There are two good DII schools in Manchester or she would get minutes at low to mid level D I.
Given the dearth of size among most of the teams in the Big East, I think she could get significant minutes for almost any other Big East team, including those that made postseason tournaments.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I can't quote his statement exactly either, but I recall it as being closer to "No one who has left the UConn program has been an impact player on a Top 20 team."

That is not as insulting to the players that left as the version that you offered.

Of course, there is the case of Elena Della Donne, but that is a VERY special case. And even in her case, the University of Delaware would not qualify as a top-level team.
I stand corrected and I was not trying to paint Geno's statement as being an insult. But it certainly comes across as that.
I do think some of the players I mentioned did make an impact at their new school even if they were not in the Top 20. Saylor we have to wait and see.
I am going to stop digging this hole now. :(:eek:

sun

Reaction Score
I'll bet that she could transfer to a weaker power 5 team and easily score 10 - 15 points per game.
And her rebounding potential can make her a game changer.
She's certainly more advanced than most bigs right out of high school.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Given the dearth of size among most of the teams in the Big East, I think she could get significant minutes for almost any other Big East team, including those that made postseason tournaments.
I don't believe this to be the case. Piath does not have the skill set to get significant minutes at DePaul, Villanova, Marquette, nor Creighton because just about all of these schools are spread offenses utilizing 4 and 5 out. Which would mean Piath is out on the perimeter setting screens and shooting the deep ball. Neither of those are in Paith's bag. Keep in mind that Piath had a significantly more talented older sister Karima who did play at DePaul and only averaged 4.2 MPG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom