Phil Steele Predicts UConn 6th in AAC East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Phil Steele Predicts UConn 6th in AAC East

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
LOL. I was accused of ruining the board I ran Diaco down so badly.

I got hammered when I kept posting his T’eo lies.

Got hammered for calling out the joke that was recruiting.

Don’t take what I said as such a compliment. I said something nice so that his supporters would read the rest. It really just meant he wasn’t good enough to go anywhere else and our athletic department was too stupid to get rid of him.

Thankfully he imploded.

Feel free to search 3 years of posts or feel free to go with the guy who whimpers when someone points out Mansfied is filled with clowns.

The recruiting is what got me. I figured it couldn’t be as bad as the other offers indicated. Surely Diaco saw something that others didn’t see.

Nope.

Reaction Score
The recruiting is what got me. I figured it couldn’t be as bad as the other offers indicated. Surely Diaco saw something that others didn’t see.

Nope.

This actually goes back to some of the debates of those who wanted Edsall gone in the late aughts. Because he made it look easy to recruit from a pool of players with few or no other BCS offers, and still get his share of kids who made the NFL, too many here assumed anyone in his position could do that and how could our overall talent pool go down if someone else was in charge of the program.

Those people look absolutely idiotic at this point. Apparently, it's easy to hire a coach who, just because he can't beat out P5 teams for players, also can't find a high percentage of NFLers among players no one else is offering.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I can’t believe a 5-19 team that has two starters returning on defense and no quarterback who has ever come close to winning a game isn’t going to be good.

To be fair, this year's undefeated prediction will not be the easiest one I've ever made.

To be positive, it is also not the hardest one I've ever made either... ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Make sure you dumb down the words.

I know @JMick sent you into a spiral but keep up.

1. I never said I dumbed it down
2. I said something realtively positive so that the rest of what I said wouldn’t be rejected in the first sentence. That’s a nice free lesson for you.
3. I couldn’t dumb down your infintile whining about Ollie criticism if I tried. There isn’t a standard below toddler pitching a fit.

Reaction Score
This actually goes back to some of the debates of those who wanted Edsall gone in the late aughts. Because he made it look easy to recruit from a pool of players with few or no other BCS offers, and still get his share of kids who made the NFL, too many here assumed anyone in his position could do that and how could our overall talent pool go down if someone else was in charge of the program.

Those people look absolutely idiotic at this point. Apparently, it's easy to hire a coach who, just because he can't beat out P5 teams for players, also can't find a high percentage of NFLers among players no one else is offering.
Edsall's talent projection is his best quality. It's why he had success here in the first place. It's a rare trait and you're right, people took it for granted.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I know @JMick sent you into a spiral but keep up.

1. I never said I dumbed it down
2. I said something realtively positive so that the rest of what I said wouldn’t be rejected in the first sentence. That’s a nice free lesson for you.
3. I couldn’t dumb down your infintile whining about Ollie criticism if I tried. There isn’t a standard below toddler pitching a fit.

1. I never explicitly said you did. It’s assumed that everything you write here has to be dumbed down, because you’re the only smart human being here. Everyone else is a vegetable.
2. You’re the last person to accuse others of being toddlers pitching fits. You have the impulse control of a dingo in heat.
3. At least I’ll still have my original liver in 5 years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1. I never explicitly said you did. It’s assumed that everything you write here has to be dumbed down, because you’re the only smart human being here. Everyone else is a vegetable.
2. You’re the last person to accuse others of being toddlers pitching fits. You have the impulse control of a dingo in heat.

If you are reduced to making a level joke off the cesspool you might wanna just check out.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Come on man that’s a cheap shot

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How did whaler become the only one on the board who drinks?

Reaction Score

This is absolutely true. Edsall would catch serious criticism for the ranking of his recruiting classes while putting as many kids in the NFL and on All Big East teams as any team in the conference. It was as if folks believed the internet over what they saw on the field with their own eyes. We really have to hope he and his staff can do it again.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely true. Edsall would catch serious criticism for the ranking of his recruiting classes while putting as many kids in the NFL and on All Big East teams as any team in the conference. It was as if folks believed the internet over what they saw on the field with their own eyes. We really have to hope he and his staff can do it again.

Agreed, Edsall recruited perfectly---except at QB. He seems to have figured that out now, so I'm optimistic. The big thing is identifying the same kind of players he used to and then getting them to come play here without the BCS conference label. I presume that's doable since many of our good players from the past didn't have any big offers anyway.

Reaction Score
Just tough to read an article like that after 8 long years....
And the prospect of a ninth long year perhaps even worse than the previous eight. If that happens, just wait for what the opposition to FBS football will be saying in December.

But things may get a lot better too. That is the beauty of the college game.

Reaction Score
The difference between HCRE & the two previous regimes:
1. Randy has had a great eye for talent
2. He immerses himself into the job: Pasqualoni seemed disinterested in the finer details & Diaco lived in Bizarro World
3. He's not afraid to tell the truth of the situation: When Diaco said in a post-game interview after a 45-3 pasting, that if a couple of plays went differently, UConn would have won the game, we all knew he was delusional.
4. He wants to atone for the way he scrambled out of Dodge after the Fiesta Bowl: he's determined to reestablish his legacy.

The problem is UConn is now situated in a different world with no BCS (err, Power-5) affiliation. How he overcomes this immense hurdle will be telling, but I trust him over the last two buffoons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think this is fair. I don't know that I wanted him gone, but I remember thinking that he had taken us as far as he could and that if we were going to improve it would be under another coach. I doubt I posted any of that because I had, and have, a lot of respect for the job REv1 did after Jasper Howard's death.

CL82

Reaction Score
How did whaler become the only one on the board who drinks?
What you are really asking is how did Whaler become the board's most notorious drunk poster? The answer is that HuskyFanDan got banned creating a void and Whaler stepped up.

Reaction Score
He is right though...the offense is better and fans grumbled under the Diaco years. One side of the ball is drastically better and RE decided to switch the defensive scheme so that was going to take a few years to get right.

I think it would be similar if Navy switched their offensive scheme to a normal offense...it would take a few years for them to get their O moving again.

If we can get the D players we need and the scheme gets into their brains we should see a dramatic improvement by the end of this year and next year....I think.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What you are really asking is how did Whaler become the board's most notorious drunk poster? The answer is that HuskyFanDan got banned creating a void and Whaler stepped up.
I think it's more likely he's the only one who admits when he schnockered. I know I have had some bourbon-fueled gems in the past that have gone without attribution.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it's more likely he's the only one who admits when he schnockered. I know I have had some bourbon-fueled gems in the past that have gone without attribution.
Meh, you fake it better. No one was better than Dan. I believe on night his posts degenerated into just random consonants. I suspect he may have woken up with a keyboard print on his forehead.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Meh, you fake it better. No one was better than Dan. I believe on night his posts degenerated into just random consonants. I suspect he may have woken up with a keyboard print on his forehead.
I miss Dan's crazy enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
He is right though...the offense is better and fans grumbled under the Diaco years. One side of the ball is drastically better and RE decided to switch the defensive scheme so that was going to take a few years to get right.

I think it would be similar if Navy switched their offensive scheme to a normal offense...it would take a few years for them to get their O moving again.

If we can get the D players we need and the scheme gets into their brains we should see a dramatic improvement by the end of this year and next year....I think.

It wasn't going to take a few years because of the scheme, its that the personnel needed a few years to catch up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom