PGA Tour and LIV Agree to Merger | Page 3 | The Boneyard

PGA Tour and LIV Agree to Merger

Reaction Score
In my fantasy world you would have Tiger and Jack (who have both been outspoken about LIV) calling a meeting right now with the guys that have been burned by the PGA Tour so your Rory, Rahm, Scottie, Finau's etc.. and gauging the interest in breaking away into something new with the 2 greatest to play the game as spokesmen. As independent contractors these guys are not committed into any longer terms agreements with the PGA...I know with all the money being floated around and everything it would take to get a tour off the ground this would never happen but boy is all the drama fun to think about.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
So Norman becomes the pawn. He is the CEO of LIV for now but for some reason Tiger is not a big fan. My guess is in the coming weeks LIV and Norman part ways. In the end LIV was hurting the PGA tour while not getting any of the viewers or interest they needed to have a somewhat successful league. I think that was the driving force one tour was getting decimated and the new tour was not looking viable. Sounds like they both wanted to live.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I accept the criticism of LIV for it's Saudi ties and backing. That is a legit issue. I also accept the criticism of the PGA for essentially not changing for 50 years. No creativity in marketing and the money wasn't what it should be. It was too stodgy and dull, despite great players, courses and personalities.

Let the guys wear shorts and have untucked shirts. Change some events to not follow the Th-Sun four round format. Find some ways to liven things up.

It isn't clear how this is going to work, so I'll reserve judgement.

Reaction Score
PGA was the old boys club. Major hypocrites to boot. As if the US doesn't do horrible things on the Saudis level, but it's under-publicized.
See the Michael Hastings 'incident'.

Reaction Score
So much for Saudi human rights being an issue. PGA sold their soul to the devil to keep their monopoly in tact. Disgraceful on many levels. Would love to see Tiger, Rory and other big names protest and sit out events or worse.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
And it looks like the Saudis will essentially own the PGA tour too, getting the exclusive rights to accept / reject future investments of the joint venture (so they could potentially dilute current stake holders) and exclusive rights to create / establish any future tours.

Just a total embarrassment for the PGA Tour in how they got played and sold out the guys who were loyal to them.

With that said, having competing tours, potentially with some sort of “championship” type team event at the end of the season to declare 1 of the 2 tours a winner would be interesting if done properly, IMO.

But I’m also skeptical that this agreement will be finalized. If I could bet, I’d bet the PGA pulls out.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
they (PGA Tour) never really cared about the Saudis
it was just an easy way to be critical of LIV and they over used it
who doesn't do business with SA? what a joke
maybe Brandel can have cry-fest with Rory
Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. I may watch golf during the majors and maybe a few other tournaments depending on the weather in my location.

Not sure why so much hate for Rory. He seems to be a man of principle.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
PGA absorbs LIV. PGA wins.
Looks more like the Saudis will be absorbing the PGA…
32892A24-9468-49F7-941F-4638E771F2F7.jpeg

Reaction Score
Looks more like the Saudis will be absorbing the PGA… View attachment 88763
I'm not sure how you're getting from what we know (PGA tour has majority ownership) to PIF is absorbing the PGA Tour. Feels a lot more like PIF gets protection against getting diluted and the right of refusal to acquire the controlling stake if for some reason this new entity desperately needs a liquidity infusion in the future.

Reaction Score
Looks more like the Saudis will be absorbing the PGA… View attachment 88763

I’ve been fishing most of the day so I haven’t sat down to read about it. But I don’t believe it.

And if you believe this and you are happy about it then you’ve got issues.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you're getting from what we know (PGA tour has majority ownership) to PIF is absorbing the PGA Tour. Feels a lot more like PIF gets protection against getting diluted and the right of refusal to acquire the controlling stake if for some reason this new entity desperately needs a liquidity infusion in the future.

If they actually turned Pro Golf over to a bunch of Bedouins then they are dumber than anyone can comprehend.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If they have the exclusive rights to make further investments into the new entity and refuse any future investments, whether they own a majority now or not, they are the ones in the drivers seat.

That screen shot was from an article on CBS sports. If it’s accurate, then they can just issue more equity to themselves anytime they want to become the majority stakeholder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom