PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Memphis got top recruits being in CUSA. Really no excuse. Your program sells itself regardless of conference affiliation

Come on now. Look at me with a straight face and tell me you don't think that a P5 conference is more conducive to a program's success than the AAC.

Reaction Score
What the story behind the venom for VCU lol
The last two times UConn and VCU went head to head, they beat us for recruits. Which makes them think that puts them on the same level as a program with 4 national championships.

But on top of that, their fan base is just annoying. Worst thing is their mods encouraging posters on the board to engage the recruits on Twitter, which makes them think they are solely responsible for any commit they get.

Reaction Score
They're weird creepers who talk a lot of junk and pretend that they're on our level because they beat us for a couple of recruits.
Those silly fans lol. You should see the delusion of Louisiana Tech fans. They probably believe they are on UConn's level even though they haven't made the NCAA in forever

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
KO is doing great in the face of the conference thing, better than I expected. I too believe I can hear the opposing teams telling the recruits just what you said but lately there was an article about how our conference is strengthening. Can it get to the point that it becomes enough of a power in hoops and we don't have to or want to leave?
No.

Reaction Score
And hopefully Zach Brown. But if not, I'd be completely fine with a Diarra-Enoch front court in 2017.

If we get Brown do we have to rename the band to "Zach Brown Band"?

Reaction Score
I know. But as a supporter of this program, I want us in the best possible situation. We need to be playing in a top conference getting top exposure, which puts us in position to get the top recruits, thereby continuing the cycle. That's why the AAC is so frustrating for me and many others. It's the only road into a P5 conference, yet it just flat-out sucks. The day we get that invite to the ACC/B1G will be a celebration for the ages, because even though it's our lifeline, the longer it takes the more it kills our program. Which is why it's easy to overreact and speak in a less-than-cordial tone when someone suggests that we should stay here.

Welp, that's not the answer I expected. I assumed sarcasm but you weren't paying that card. I agree with what you said.

Reaction Score
It's a legitimate concern, even if it's a little overblown here. And your coach was/is the best recruiter in the college hoops. I don't think even us UConn fans would argue KO now could out-recruit Cal then.

When it comes to the actual hardwood, though....
I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Cal and Pastner work all the angle to get top recruits. It also helps to have assistants with connections. We got Damon Stoudamire back on staff and he will reel in some top guards for us because people know what he has done and that they can trust him. Kevin Ollie is the same with his cred as a player and coach and you guys are UConn

Reaction Score
Wow! What a h*ll of a recruiting run KO and his staff are in right now. I guess all the concerns folks here had about our recruiting can be put to bed. At least for now.

We're definitely turning a corner, and the transfers both fill crucial niches. Credit the staff for identifying the need, to put it bluntly, to recruit over some of the chaff that we picked up during a subpar recruiting period (2012-2014). And, not just identifying the need, but succeeding! For Gibbs, we beat out OSU and Pitt, two decent P5 programs. Miller I believe had high-major interest as well. That's noteworthy.

I don't think I'd categorize Diarra in that way -- it's not like you can point to his commitment and say "UConn's back". He's a nice start to the class of 2016, but he's also a sub-100 recruit for whom the only competition was an imploding mid-major.

I think the real test will come with guys like Gilbert, who are clearly on the radar, highly ranked, with multiple high-major offers. That's not to say Diarra won't have an impact on the court -- I firmly expect he will, and I expect his stock will go up even over the next 12 months. But I think Ollie's recruiting mettle will really be tested with these top 2016 and 2017 targets.

Still, we should feel a lot better about our place in the college basketball landscape today than we did 2 months ago.

Reaction Score
Diarra had 25 D-1 offers, several from P5s, when he closed his recruitment. Schools got in on him late, but that doesn't mean other schools didn't want him. Honestly, I don't think it would have mattered if Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas had all offered. He wanted to go to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
We're definitely turning a corner, and the transfers both fill crucial niches. Credit the staff for identifying the need, to put it bluntly, to recruit over some of the chaff that we picked up during a subpar recruiting period (2012-2014). And, not just identifying the need, but succeeding! For Gibbs, we beat out OSU and Pitt, two decent P5 programs. Miller I believe had high-major interest as well. That's noteworthy.

I don't think I'd categorize Diarra in that way -- it's not like you can point to his commitment and say "UConn's back". He's a nice start to the class of 2016, but he's also a sub-100 recruit for whom the only competition was an imploding mid-major.

I think the real test will come with guys like Gilbert, who are clearly on the radar, highly ranked, with multiple high-major offers. That's not to say Diarra won't have an impact on the court -- I firmly expect he will, and I expect his stock will go up even over the next 12 months. But I think Ollie's recruiting mettle will really be tested with these top 2016 and 2017 targets.

Still, we should feel a lot better about our place in the college basketball landscape today than we did 2 months ago.

You may have a tiny bit more negative slant but I like your point of view. KO looks like he built a monster 2k15 team. Diarra will eventually be consensus 4 star and Larrier would be awesome but I want to see KO beat a couple of legit elite programs for top kids before I am 100 percent confident. I'm like 95% now.

Reaction Score
The last two times UConn and VCU went head to head, they beat us for recruits. Which makes them think that puts them on the same level as a program with 4 national championships.

But on top of that, their fan base is just annoying. Worst thing is their mods encouraging posters on the board to engage the recruits on Twitter, which makes them think they are solely responsible for any commit they get.

They also think their program now somehow owns the term "havoc".

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Better thread title, "Coach Ollie hits recruiting trail, picks up Diarra." After Diarra plays here, "Is Diarra cause of Huskies' troubles inside?".

Reaction Score
They also think their program now somehow owns the term "havoc".

lol to be fair, there has been a huge billboard right off of I-95 for years where VCU is generally located that reads, VCU where HAVOK lives. Granted that was provided by Shaka, but i kinda think it should be VCU's as long as they want it. I wouldnt be surprised if they stop using it in the next year or 2 inference to themselves being that they have a new coach. I'm sure he wont want the old ties.

Reaction Score
Actually, that's not crazy. The 2001 and 2006 recruiting classes were both absolutely loaded, and those were the classes where the guys started really looking when we were coming off a title. Maybe 2016 is going to be like that.
I usually don't let facts get in the way of my crazy ideas, but in this case, I'll take those facts. ;)

Reaction Score
Nice, never been so excited to have Diarra before.

I've had the big D for the past two days (bad clams & linguini in Rhode Island)
I took it as a sign. And sure enough at approximately 11:45 today the lower stomach pains, etcetera, just went away :D

Reaction Score
Uconn has proven they'll play anyone anywhere... Pretty decent schedule the past couple years.
True, but it still doesn't off set the dumpster fire that our conference scheduled provides us. I'm sure telling recruits that they would go up against this P5 program and that one, plus go to the Bahamas and Hawaii helps a lot to offset our conference, but by how much? I don't know.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
True, but it still doesn't off set the dumpster fire that our conference scheduled provides us. I'm sure telling recruits that they would go up against this P5 program and that one, plus go to the Bahamas and Hawaii helps a lot to offset our conference, but by how much? I don't know.
Enough to convince Hamilton, Purvis, Gibbs, Miller and Diarra to come here. Not a bad start.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Enoch could move to center with any type of growth in his height or game.
Enoch is coming in at 6'10, 220. He can definitely play center. I could definitely see Diarra ending up at the pivot as well.
I agree with all of the above. But the nice thing about Enoch is he has an outside shot and good lateral quickness, which means he can play the 4 or the 5. And since showing that kind of versatility is best for his NBA hopes (and our offensive/defensive flexibility), I'm sure he'll get a chance to do both.

Reaction Score
Memphis got top recruits being in CUSA. Really no excuse. Your program sells itself regardless of conference affiliation
no one is saying that KO and hi staff can't overcome this issue. We can all point to the recruiting results over the past week or so to show that they have. Who said anything about excuses? But to disregard the conference issue is blindness IMO. With that said, there's nothing that can be done about it till a P5 opportunity for UConn presents itself. As long as the KO keeps elevates the program after a disappointing 2014/15 campaign and leads the team to a deep NCAA tourney run, I think UConn will be able to win enough recruiting battles to keep the talent level high.

One thing that might be casting a negative recruiting picture is that KO seems to be targeting a lot of recruits that have a number of blue chip programs on their top 5 or so lists. JC would often drop out of those type of situations early and focus on recruits that were more winnable. I'm not saying he did that with all his recruits, but a lot. KO might be aiming a tad too high at times with a tad too many recruits. Now losing recruits to the likes of VCU and other non-P5 programs was a tad concerning, though we've recently turned the tables on them, granted a Shakaless VCU.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to make excuses for UConn, just pointing out the current situation.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So we aren't really looking at bruce brown anymore...who are the other new england prospects/targets? Gabriel + tyrique jones?
We've offered both, though I doubt either will be a priority now with Diarra on board.

Our pursuit of Brown has cooled, though I'd be surprised if it's died out entirely.

One to watch: Mustapha Heron of Sacred Heart (Waterbury). Big, lefty, 5-star combo guard. St. John's is probably the favorite since his dad is tight with Slice, but I've heard several people say that we're starting to make a push.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom