PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 25 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Not a big sample, but it looks like he can play through contact, and we know he has made at least two foul shots.

I see a little too much extra motion in his foul shot -- kind of like Mek in that regard -- but if his percentage is reasonable, you can live with that.

Reaction Score
One of his other mixed tapes show him outworking someone for an offensive rebound and then getting the putback. Like the motor, the fact he likes to always be around the basket and the rebound. His athletic ability and quick ups is something Rock did not have which hurt him but will help Diarra be a solid player. Real nice find, it's on him as to how good he will be.

Reaction Score
A poor mans Jeff Adrien would make him a very good 4 year contributor and starter for 2-3 years. That's exactly what this team has been missing. It's also easy to recruit great guards and wings when you have complimentary bigs who don't need the ball on offense to be major contributors.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He's an exciting player. As tough and effective as Adrien was, this kid sounds like he has the same desire with a higher level of athleticism (but less skill). I have visions of his cleaning the glass at like 12 per game, with improving offense although mostly garbage baskets. His shot was actually not that bad from the line, maybe he will improve in that way too. I'm probably getting carried away, but there is something intriguing about his game/talent.

Reaction Score

Here's the writeup from this guy:

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/520715?referrer_id=1566508

Mamadou Diarra (2016/Woodstock Academy, Conn.)--Connecticut
No player in either the underclassman or seniors game played with a higher motor than this 6-foot-7 power forward, who certainly defines his position with his style of play. Diarra is a powerful finisher, dunking everything he can get his hands on, and is also an elite rim-protector at the other end of the floor, blocking several shots with excellent leaping ability and timing. The future UConn forward makes up for what he lacks in size with his strength and his motor, and it’s hard to see him not having an impact right away when he gets to Storrs next fall.

Reaction Score
I love that every write-up raves about his intensity and physicality, despite his fairly small stature (for a high-major PF, that is). It seems like far too many of our frontcourt players lately have been tentative and unimposing, and this guy is the antidote. At the very least he'll add an element of physical toughness that has generally been lacking.

Reaction Score
Maybe he develops into a similar player to kirk king. I loved how kirk got better every year here.

caw

Reaction Score
It will be very interesting to see how his rankings change. I expect he'll be top 75 when everything is said and done.

Reaction Score
Leebo said:
Thoughts on the Mamadou situation from the VCU board, for amusement purposes: Based on rep this should have been a done deal for UConn. The fact that it's not makes me believe he's not completely sold on UConn. To use a boxing analogy, we're hanging in there into the late rounds with the old, past his prime champ. We need hope the judges don't rob us on the scorecards.

Nothing like being called a "has-been" by a "never was"...

Reaction Score
Maybe he develops into a similar player to kirk king. I loved how kirk got better every year here.
Pretty good comparison but I remember Kirk King had a little bit of a post game which it doesn't seem that this kid possesses right now.

Reaction Score
Why are these interviews with recruits always so awkward? The interviewers Always make it so weird it's painful to watch.

How hard is to just sit down with a kid and have a conversation?? I don't get it

It's easy. You know how terrible the interviewers are on ESPN and ABC and whatnot? And you know how the interviewers on SNY or NESN are worse? And then the local guys from Fox CT and WTNH seem even less informed and composed?

The people doing this are much, much worse than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom