Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Money

The Southern Public State schools monetary Needs are far different than Ivy. The answer is money. And while UConn budget is challenging ... being a Mississippi with a loss of tens of millions that they plugged into the budget will lead to a different decision tree.

Big revenue schools also have the capacity to recover from any losses much more rapidly.

It's an odd comparison. Ole Miss is in it to for a bunch of reasons. They want to play ball, they want to make money.

The Ivy League just wants to play ball if it makes sense.They already really don't make much money.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If any of you are arguing that college players shouldn't get paid after this season when no students are on campus but players are required to come to campus. Know you are an awful human.

Awful? Nah - I think that is bit too harsh. A lot of college fans just haven't thought the situation through.

While I agree its time to end the prohibition on cash comp (universities should rush to allow marketing deals with no dollar limits), I also think the overwhelming majority of kids would choose to play ball this fall even if campus is closed to direct teaching because they love the sport and have trained all off season waiting for their moment. Kids want to play....very few would sit out even under the current conditions. Now, if things with COVid get worse for young people then I reserve the right to adjust my POV!

Reaction Score
Awful? Nah - I think that is bit too harsh. A lot of college fans just haven't thought the situation through.

While I agree its time to end the prohibition on cash comp (universities should rush to allow marketing deals with no dollar limits), I also think the overwhelming majority of kids would choose to play ball this fall even if campus is closed to direct teaching because they love the sport and have trained all off season waiting for their moment. Kids want to play....very few would sit out even under the current conditions. Now, if things with COVid get worse for young people then I reserve the right to adjust my POV!
The problem isn’t just younger people have relatively fewer problems with Covid. That is true, but it isn’t zero. The problem comes when infected players go to class, go to parties, go to dining halls, deal with equipment managers, shop, do all the stuff they will inevitably do. It just increases the spread. And Exit 4, I do think you are right that they want to play. That is why presidents and ADs Need to act like adults and just say no.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Actually if we went that route it would not be awful. BC, Rutgers, Temple, Army, Buffalo, Syracuse, UMass. Maybe find one more like Navy or Pitt. All relatively close. A few longish bus rides but certainly doable. Organize 8 plus us to play 8 game schedule. And all in relatively “safe” states. I don’t advocate playing but if we are this is an approach that makes some sense.

Yep. Sprinkle in a Yankee conf reunion tour of UNH / Maine / URI and that's basically your season.

In a sea of awful outcomes for the team and fans, this would end up pretty nice.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The problem isn’t just younger people have relatively fewer problems with Covid. That is true, but it isn’t zero. The problem comes when infected players go to class, go to parties, go to dining halls, deal with equipment managers, shop, do all the stuff they will inevitably do. It just increases the spread.

Yes of course this a the problem. I view higher risk group contagion as the second problem. The first problem is the matter of general liability and the fact that there is very little out there right now to shield the universities from liability. It will be hard for any school to argue it took a best practices approach when there are no established practices/protocols....or at least practices/protocols that have manageable costs and/or don't hog resources from the general public. The death rate for this illness maybe on par with the flu for people under 30, but can that be argued in any court right now....no -because the data is thin and science is not settled.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Shrug

Mississippi is going to be ($50m) less ... and then Spring. The equivalent UConn loss is probably less than $10m. The University of Mississippi (Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, etc) major revenue driver is football.

Sure UConn is incredibly challenged in the last decade; the immediate hit will be the SEC & other Power 5. The 2020 year is about what the Power will do for today’s money.
UConn fans are experienced in social distancing. We could teach a seminar.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually if we went that route it would not be awful. BC, Rutgers, Temple, Army, Buffalo, Syracuse, UMass. Maybe find one more like Navy or Pitt. All relatively close. A few longish bus rides but certainly doable. Organize 8 plus us to play 8 game schedule. And all in relatively “safe” states. I don’t advocate playing but if we are this is an approach that makes some sense.
Not a bad idea until you have to sort the media right. I know you only offered the above lineup as a hypothetical (and it would be great), but you can count 4 or 5 different conference affiliations there. In this case Disney has most of the rights, but that wouldn't be so clear cut in all regions..

Reaction Score
These people are incredibly stupid. Kind of coincidentally, I’ve been watching a series about the 14th century massive bubonic plague that is known as the Black Death. Physicians back then were so well versed on how to handle it that many wore masks, not because they were on top of the problem, but because the masks were built like bird beaks and stuffed with flower petals because they believed sweet aromas kept the disease away. We have actual knowledge these days of how to try and contain an epidemic but we still, in our enlightened USA, have millions of people who react to an epidemic no better than a medieval peasant.

The big problem in the US is that health has become polticized while ignoring the fact that everyone's health, including economic health, is all connected.

Reaction Score
Big revenue schools also have the capacity to recover from any losses much more rapidly.

It's an odd comparison. Ole Miss is in it to for a bunch of reasons. They want to play ball, they want to make money.

The Ivy League just wants to play ball if it makes sense.They already really don't make much money.

The issue for a large number of schools in the SEC and XII is that football is their primary revenue driver. Football is important for the the B1G and ACC, also; but, it is not the only big money maker at many of those universities. For example, Penn State generated $970 Million in research money in 2019 (PSU website) while football generated $100 Million in revenue. In contract, Oklahoma U stated that generated $98 Million in research activity (2017) while its football program generated $175 Million (2019).

Reaction Score
In Atlanta, Georgia tech's staff appears to be a livid over the State's push to fully re-open college campuses in the fall while not requiring face masks, testing, etc. At a glance, it looks like politics are driving this decision and not science and health professionals (that latter being a tad ironic since the CDC is based not far away from Georgia Tech). No real surprise considering how that the Board of Regents is stacked with people picked by Governor Kemp, who infamously stated a few months ago that he did not know that people with Covid-19 that were asymptomatic could spread the virus.

As a contrast, take a look at what nearby Emory, which is a private university not under the political control of the Regents located in in Atlanta just a few miles from G Tech and right next door to the CDC, has developed - face masks required, campus wide testing environment, social distancing guidelines, certain programs will be virtual, etc.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

The word is awful. Adults allowing students (unpaid employees) put their lives on the line for our entertainment... there’s no way to justify it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The word is awful. Adults allowing students (unpaid employees) put their lives on the line for our entertainment... there’s no way to justify it.
A lot of kids would completely disagree.

When they flip the switch and kill the season - let’s see how happy the kids are... and then let’s see how happy we are when basketball is the next sport to get furloughed. Canning basketball is a rather real once they get done shelving football. The risk just isn’t that different in BB.

Reaction Score
The issue for a large number of schools in the SEC and XII is that football is their primary revenue driver. Football is important for the the B1G and ACC, also; but, it is not the only big money maker at many of those universities. For example, Penn State generated $970 Million in research money in 2019 (PSU website) while football generated $100 Million in revenue. In contract, Oklahoma U stated that generated $98 Million in research activity (2017) while its football program generated $175 Million (2019).

There is not going to be a season. The dominoes are falling.

Reaction Score
Let’s start hoping a season off, or even a late start, helps our young football team develop. Other schools with more developed rosters should be fine and can likely keep their rosters mostly intact.

Basketball will be next and that is far more frightening. Would a cancelled season result in Bouk entering the draft? Would others head to Europe? I think basketball has to go on for the sake of the college game. Maybe, it starts late but they have to play. A basketball roster could be decimated by a lost season and so many pro options around the globe.

Reaction Score

You are a loon,, high school kids were out practicing today (see our QB recruit thread) and high school age baseball players have started summer games in Connecticut. I guess you support paying them too? When salaries are required for college athletes college athletics will come to an end and then you can take your victory lap before the fields are plowed under. Lock the gates!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It amazes me how many people don't understand how a virus spreads and what it takes to contain a spread absent a vaccine. We all want everything to be pre-virus, but its the square peg round hole thing. You can't wish or force a virus to stop spreading and of course it sucks. FWIW, I'm well connected to someone in the athletic ticket office and know they have regular conference calls. It's going to be a while before UConn, and I'm sure colleges and universities across the country, get back to anything resembling the good old days. Professors aren't keen on in person teaching right now. Sports are unlikely to be the tail wagging the dog.
Will the professors still get paid if they don’t teach live classes?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are a loon,, high school kids were out practicing today (see our QB recruit thread) and high school age baseball players have started summer games in Connecticut. I guess you support paying them too? When salaries are required for college athletes college athletics will come to an end and then you can take your victory lap before the fields are plowed under. Lock the gates!

Easy there. The schools need to pivot ASAP and let kids get whatever they can from the sponsorship/endorsement world. No salaries, just endorsement money. They have to stop denying kids the right to make side money if they aren’t employees and they are not employees.

Reaction Score
Easy there. The schools need to pivot ASAP and let kids get whatever they can from the sponsorship/endorsement world. No salaries, just endorsement money. They have to stop denying kids the right to make side money if they aren’t employees and they are not employees.

I was responding to a person who called them "unpaid employees", technically they still will be unpaid by the schools if they are allowed to make money off of their fame and only the very best players will achieve said fame. I don't know how much we are going to like this new system when our best basketball and football players start transferring to the SEC but at least "Polycom" will be happy for them.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Will the professors still get paid if they don’t teach live classes?
If they teach they get paid. They definitely have to do a lot of adjusting to set up on line classes. My son is a prof in the SUNY
system and it’s as different a world for the instructors as anyone else. Other things the people anxious to go back to business as usual might not notice. My granddaughter, child of the prof, is 16. She was born 2 mos premature so has compromised lungs. My son is theoretically at lower risk than his daughter. No way does he like the use of carrying a virus home. There are countless personal situations involving teachers and other non-students in colleges everywhere. Letting being antsy rule a solid approach makes no sense. I don’t think anyone here is suggesting we ignore the risks, but it seems clear that the desire to have a football season does affect some thought as to what should be accepted. The medical community needs to guide common sense decisions. There are pro athletes saying they won’t play this year. It isn’t so they can vacation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I was responding to a person who called them "unpaid employees", technically they still will be unpaid by the schools if they are allowed to make money off of their fame and only the very best players will achieve said fame. I don't know how much we are going to like this new system when our best basketball and football players start transferring to the SEC but at least "Polycom" will be happy for them.

The new system won’t be a good fit for us- it also won’t be a good fit for most....but it will be more fair to kids.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You all sit here and talk about death rates. That's not the real issue nor should it be the main focus. The real danger is the lasting effects of being positive. They are finding more and more long term damage in COVID patients.

The Jazz player from March still hasn't regained his sense of taste. Neurological damage has been reported. Kidney damage. This isn't just respiratory.

This is why, as an educator, I'm not willing to put myself back in my building without proper PPE or a plan. The long term effects are a serious issue. Deaths are a real threat but to the younger population, they should be more concerned with their long term health due to catching COVID. The numbers show the likelihood of dying is not high for that age bracket, but the long term effects are still being discovered and are showing as being more severe each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom