Penn State getting schollies back... | The Boneyard

Penn State getting schollies back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just announced on ESPN. Next year 5 schollies lost in the Sandusky case will be restored.

Reaction Score
Good, 5 more kids get to go to college in this country.

Punishments that prevent kids from going to school are evil, if you want to take stuff away from a program, come up with other things.

Reaction Score

Punishments that prevent kids from going to school are evil, if you want to take stuff away from a program, come up with other things.

Name some "things" that would be significant enough to discourage a program from protecting itself to the extent that it puts continued success ahead of the welfare of minors who are being sexually assaulted? And explain why essentially using the stature and facilities of the program as a feeder for new victims should have zero consequences for the program. Yeah it's so sad that a few football players might have to choose another college or the slots might be taken by walk-ons, or even scarier high achieving academics might get a shot.

Your definition of evil is as warped as your logic.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Given the $60,000,000 fine, four-year post-season ban and the continuing scholarship restrictions, somehow I doubt the restoration of five scholarships is somehow going to convince Penn State that their previous malfeasance is the desirable path.

Reaction Score
They should take 5 more away. And force Penn State to offer 5 more scholarships to actual students.

That school is a depraved mess filled with animals who still think Paterno and Co. are innocent.

Reaction Score

Nothing stopping those kids from going to another school. NCAA back tracking on itself dilutes it's credibility.

Reaction Score
Nothing stopping those kids from going to another school. NCAA back tracking on itself dilutes it's credibility.

You actually thought they had any credibility to start with?

Reaction Score
This is the type of thing that enable a program like Penn State to survive this penalty. Before you and I know it, they will be out from under this sanction and back to being one of the premier football programs in the country. Heck, ESPN will probably do a Game Day from Happy Valley just to be sure they get off on the right foot - something they've never done for a program like UConn.

Penn State should have been given the death penalty for 5 years. Give their scholarships - as additions - to struggling programs to better promote parity. Oh, and throw them out of the BiG and replace them with UConn. Now you're talking penalties that will be a deterrent.

Reaction Score
This is the type of thing that enable a program like Penn State to survive this penalty. Before you and I know it, they will be out from under this sanction and back to being one of the premier football programs in the country. Heck, ESPN will probably do a Game Day from Happy Valley just to be sure they get off on the right foot - something they've never done for a program like UConn.

Penn State should have been given the death penalty for 5 years. Give their scholarships - as additions - to struggling programs to better promote parity. Oh, and throw them out of the BiG and replace them with UConn. Now you're talking penalties that will be a deterrent.

They should have gotten at least a two season death penalty ala SMU.

Reaction Score
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/...andling-child-s e x-abuse-allegations-against

While there is no exact comparison for what happened at PSU, read the link above, realize that this and the recent Michigan case had administrative cover-ups, so did a half dozen other schools. The allegations get stopped in administration. Penn State did it to protect football. But who was being protected at other places like Michigan? If people on this board knew more details about how Syracuse conducted an investigation of Bernie Fine, they'd realize that Syracuse did the same exact thing as PSU, by using lawyers to intimidate Davis in 2005, and then covering it up inside the ADs office when elements of the truth hit home. This doesn't mean PSU should or should not have had sanctions. I frankly don't care as a PSU fan. I thought the sanctions were both appropriate and ineffectual. Ineffectual in that nothing can address what happened to those kids. It's all a PR show (and that's what people care about mostly). If you read the Syracuse boards, every mention of the reduced sanctions on PSU has a sidebar about Syracuse football's window to take over the northeast for football. I can't help but think that this is what motivates fans commenting there. Otherwise, the cover-up at PSU football is no different from the many cover-ups where administrators look the other way and go into CYA. At PSU, Graham Spanier had a history of this in cases unrelated to Sandusky or football (which is bizarre for a guy who was abused as a child).

Reaction Score
Not sure how it's relevant. Penn State made a deliberate decision to protect football over children being raped.

And TD Husky is right, ESPN will do its part to overplay the whole Penn State overcame adversity line.

Reaction Score
Not sure how it's relevant. Penn State made a deliberate decision to protect football over children being raped.

And TD Husky is right, ESPN will do its part to overplay the whole Penn State overcame adversity line.

It's relevant because covering up the rape of children happens in a lot of places. It happened at PSU and at UConn too. It happens because administrators try to cover their As, to protect the reputation of their institutions and their own jobs. Seeking to redress any of these things without getting to the bottom of what happened and how it happened is nothing more than a PR ploy. The sanctioning of football (which I'm fine with) covers over everything that went wrong in PSU's case (how he info was passed to the BOT, the BOT with board members on Second Mile, the governor's office which was politically connected to Second Mile sitting on the case for 3 years, etc., why was the initial police investigation blundered, and child services too; if you followed this closely, you know there are people out there with a lot more information on what went on, but they are not on the record yet, and only the Feds can come up with that info at this point).

Reaction Score
Given the $60,000,000 fine, four-year post-season ban and the continuing scholarship restrictions, somehow I doubt the restoration of five scholarships is somehow going to convince Penn State that their previous malfeasance is the desirable path.

You think they care more about the money than the won/loss record. I don' t.

Reaction Score
You think they care more about the money than the won/loss record. I don' t.

Who is "they"? The administrators?

Seeing as how the BOT is now connected with the Gov. who sued the NCAA over the money, while the same board is the group that recommended the sanctions on football (according to Bilas, this was done to the shock and surprise of NCAA investigators who were recommending something much more lenient), I'm going to say the money was the main concern.

This is a big PR ploy by Penn State's BOT, the NCAA and even the B1G. PSU is doing Hail Marys and Acts of Contrition. This is what this is about. Emmert--who took a lot of grief--should not take grief for this one, and he has intimated as much, that not all of this was his idea. only the money was. The PR ploy is for the heaviest sanctions ever outside of SMU to create an impression of contrition, and then a reduction is to be seen as a reward for cleaning matters up. The whole thing is a bizarre PR ploy. Cleaning up the football program's culture? By doing what? What have they done that's cleaned it up? I can't imagine what they could do.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is a classic case of misinformation and muddling of unrelated issues.

The NCAA stepped in for the same reasons the PSU admin turned a blind eye, public perception. Both were in the wrong.

Reaction Score
It's relevant because covering up the rape of children happens in a lot of places. It happened at PSU and at UConn too. It happens because administrators try to cover their As, to protect the reputation of their institutions and their own jobs. Seeking to redress any of these things without getting to the bottom of what happened and how it happened is nothing more than a PR ploy. The sanctioning of football (which I'm fine with) covers over everything that went wrong in PSU's case (how he info was passed to the BOT, the BOT with board members on Second Mile, the governor's office which was politically connected to Second Mile sitting on the case for 3 years, etc., why was the initial police investigation blundered, and child services too; if you followed this closely, you know there are people out there with a lot more information on what went on, but they are not on the record yet, and only the Feds can come up with that info at this point).

I'm not picking on you, but one thing I see the Penn State apologists CONSTANTLY doing is downplaying (outright ignoring) what went on there by trying to divert attention to other programs/teams. "OH, but Syracuse did it" "Oh, look at the Red Sox". My favorite is "Oh, JoePa didn't even like Sandusky". GMAFB. Once again, not picking on you specifically, but there's a running theme with Penn State fans. Oh - forgot the other one: "They KILLED JoePa". Newsflash: The public discovery of the culture at Penn State killed Joe Pa, not "Them"

Reaction Score
I'm not picking on you, but one thing I see the Penn State apologists CONSTANTLY doing is downplaying (outright ignoring) what went on there by trying to divert attention to other programs/teams. "OH, but Syracuse did it" "Oh, look at the Red Sox". My favorite is "Oh, JoePa didn't even like Sandusky". GMAFB. Once again, not picking on you specifically, but there's a running theme with Penn State fans. Oh - forgot the other one: "They KILLED JoePa". Newsflash: The public discovery of the culture at Penn State killed Joe Pa, not "Them"

There are a lot of fans defendeding football. It's the flipside of the Syracuse mentality, trying to take advantage of the scandal by hoping for more athletic success.

Be that as it may, I'm looking at the whole thing as a dog and pony show. What happened? A cover-up not unlike the cover-ups at many schools and institutions. How do they address it? With a phony PR ploy. If you really want to see how phony the sanctions are, the shock and awe aspect, realize that the bowl ban is a lot less impactful than the scholarship reductions. I disagree with some of the people on this board in that regard. The added scholarships are huge for football. A bowl is simply one game. One postseason game is not all that meaningful compared to trotting out a bunch of walk-ons and losing regular season games. When you're only bringing in 10 players each and every year (because you already had 25 upperclassmen) you are going to lose a lot of games eventually. This scholarship deal let's PSU football avoid the worst of the sanctions. The bowl ban is relatively mild by comparison. Heck, Ohio State, UNC, USC and Miami all did 2 years just recently, and of these schools, only USC seems to have suffered, but that's largely a result of their idiot coach. The other 3 schools had the right coaches in place to easily survive the ban, and so does PSU. A scholarship reduction though hurts 10x more.

Reaction Score
Well in this case the Head Football Coach, the Athletic Director and the President did what they could to protect football, for football's sake and as a direct result abuse continued.

When you used to get in trouble in school, did you tell the teacher "Well, Johnny sorta did the same thing and nothing happened to him!"

How did that work out for you? That's what the Penn State fanbase sounds like. They should just keep their mouths shut and thank heavens that the NCAA didn't give them a two year vacation.

Reaction Score
Well in this case the Head Football Coach, the Athletic Director and the President did what they could to protect football, for football's sake and as a direct result abuse continued.

When you used to get in trouble in school, did you tell the teacher "Well, Johnny sorta did the same thing and nothing happened to him!"

How did that work out for you? That's what the Penn State fanbase sounds like. They should just keep their mouths shut and thank heavens that the NCAA didn't give them a two year vacation.

"but look at what Syracuse did"
"the Red Sox did it too"
"JoePa wasn't even friends with Sandusky"
"They killed JoePa"

ad nauseum.

Reaction Score

I'm responding to people who are so focused on the penalties for football. It's wrongheaded. Those are not nearly as important. Who cares? The much bigger concern should be the regularity with which this occurs.

Reaction Score
I'm responding to people who are so focused on the penalties for football. It's wrongheaded. Those are not nearly as important. Who cares? The much bigger concern should be the regularity with which this occurs.

Football is what matters most to Penn State, and so they got hit where it hurts. That's why.

Reaction Score

If a guy in accounting is stealing money, you don't punish the guys in shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom