Penn State - Franklin | The Boneyard

Penn State - Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not sure if this has been addressed on another thread, but he is getting KILLED everywhere for ruining that team and Hackenberg... Happy Valley not so happy

Reaction Score
IMG_0630.jpg

This picture he put on Twitter didn't help his cause much either.

Reaction Score
Is this supposed to me motivational? It seems more like an insult than anything else.
EXACTLY how the fan base took it. The photo/tweet were erased pretty quickly. He is in a real bind support wise from the football alumni and fan base. I actually laugh at the venom spewed by my friends from the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area who live and die PSU football. It was enjoyable sending them that photo .

Reaction Score
EXACTLY how the fan base took it. The photo/tweet were erased pretty quickly. He is in a real bind support wise from the football alumni and fan base. I actually laugh at the venom spewed by my friends from the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area who live and die PSU football. It was enjoyable sending them that photo .

I still don't see the reasoning behind the photo at all. To me you basically called the kid talentless in giant bold lettering at the top. I know little about graphic design, but I think I could have made something less insulting than that in MS Paint.

Reaction Score
I still don't see the reasoning behind the photo at all. To me you basically called the kid talentless in giant bold lettering at the top. I know little about graphic design, but I think I could have made something less insulting than that in MS Paint.
it was actually a photo he tweeted to get the fanbase ready for spring ball....like I said before it backfired on him BIG TIME!

Reaction Score
Grew up a Penn State fan while we were 1-AA and still follow them closely. Watched all but a couple of Hackenberg's college games - the Franklin hate is deserved and there probably should be more but he still has the "recovering from sanctions" thing to save his rear end for a couple more seasons. He is a recruiter and a delegator, I have no idea what he does in-game on Saturdays. Their now-fired OC (John Donovan) ran the least-imaginative and predictable offense that I've seen in a while - and that's saying something because Penn State doesn't exactly have a history of being an offensive juggernaut or running complicated stuff. Saquan Barkley (soph RB) might save them next year, he's the real deal.

I also read some stuff from Vanderbilt fans/media (Franklin's previous stop) and it wasn't the most ringing endorsement, not that schools are ever kind to a HC that bailed on them. It was more of the same comments though, Franklin is a recruiter-only and that his record at Vandy was inflated because of a down stretch in their division and an OOC filled with cupcakes. If I had to guess, Franklin will be out of Penn State by 2018 but will have reloaded the program with talent, making it one heck of an opening for coaches around the country.

I think Hackenberg could end up being the best QB in the class, his growth was that stunted by his time in Happy Valley. He would have been a Top 10 pick if Bill O'Brien stuck around for all three of Hack's years IMO. I don't think there's a QB in the past that you can compare his situation to - a pro-style pocket passer in a program recovering from sanctions that's short on talent (esp at OL), with a completely inept head coach trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Reaction Score
Penn St is going to be cursed for a while yet. You don't cover up kids being molested on your watch without Karma kicking you in the nuts for an appropriate amount of time.

Reaction Score
Franklin has brought in highly rated classes. The question is how is that going to play out. Unlike in basketball where scholarship reductions don't tend to mean much (see Syracuse) they are crucial in football because you don't see many freshman and sophomores in the trenches.

Reaction Score
Franklin has brought in highly rated classes. The question is how is that going to play out. Unlike in basketball where scholarship reductions don't tend to mean much (see Syracuse) they are crucial in football because you don't see many freshman and sophomores in the trenches.

Franklin's 3 classes at Penn St are rated 20, 15, and 24. Clearly good, but not good enough, especially if Franklin is not an exceptional developer of talent. The mediocrity of PSU football has been going on for some time and you can't blame Franklin:

Since the 2000 season, PSU has had an average annual record of 7.6-4.8. They have been ranked in the final AP poll 5 times in the past 16 years and they went to 2 BCS bowls. They have not been ranked in the final AP poll since 2009. You could argue that Penn St. is now the 4th best program in their division in the Big 10.

This is the downside of conference realignment. Penn St was the dominant Eastern football program and they had some success when they first joined the Big 10, but they have become mediocre with a steep hill to climb to become a top program in their own conference, never mind the country.

Penn St. needs to find their Jim Harbaugh to rejuvenate the program. I don't think that person is Franklin.

Reaction Score
Franklin's 3 classes at Penn St are rated 20, 15, and 24. Clearly good, but not good enough, especially if Franklin is not an exceptional developer of talent. The mediocrity of PSU football has been going on for some time and you can't blame Franklin:

Since the 2000 season, PSU has had an average annual record of 7.6-4.8. They have been ranked in the final AP poll 5 times in the past 16 years and they went to 2 BCS bowls. They have not been ranked in the final AP poll since 2009. You could argue that Penn St. is now the 4th best program in their division in the Big 10.

This is the downside of conference realignment. Penn St was the dominant Eastern football program and they had some success when they first joined the Big 10, but they have become mediocre with a steep hill to climb to become a top program in their own conference, never mind the country.

Penn St. needs to find their Jim Harbaugh to rejuvenate the program. I don't think that person is Franklin.

PSU has been through a lot in the last decade. But it has been coaching problems, and not the B1G, that has been the big deficit. Paterno lost it for a decade, he was too old. He was still recruiting a lot of talent and should have done better. But all this has little to do with the program itself and its strength or their ranking in the B1G. PSU still has prime recruiting grounds in PA, OH, NJ/NY, and the Mid-Atlantic. It has support and advantages.

Reaction Score
PSU has been through a lot in the last decade. But it has been coaching problems, and not the B1G, that has been the big deficit. Paterno lost it for a decade, he was too old. He was still recruiting a lot of talent and should have done better. But all this has little to do with the program itself and its strength or their ranking in the B1G. PSU still has prime recruiting grounds in PA, OH, NJ/NY, and the Mid-Atlantic. It has support and advantages.

I thought O'Brien was taking PSU places. His teams looked fairly competent. I think had he stayed he could have PSU competing for at least the division.

Reaction Score

My point is that it is hard to rebound from a period of football mediocrity in the Big 10 when you are arguably the 4th best program in your division. (Behind Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St) If PSU was back in the old days as the top Eastern independent program, it would be easy to recover. Top 25 recruiting classes are good, but they won't bring you Big 10 Conference championships unless you are a great talent developer and game coach. I don't think those are Franklin's strengths.

Q.

Reaction Score
I think Hackenberg could end up being the best QB in the class, his growth was that stunted by his time in Happy Valley. He would have been a Top 10 pick if Bill O'Brien stuck around for all three of Hack's years IMO. I don't think there's a QB in the past that you can compare his situation to - a pro-style pocket passer in a program recovering from sanctions that's short on talent (esp at OL), with a completely inept head coach trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Really? I've followed PSU over the last few years as 2 nieces and now my daughter are students there, and I cannot wrap my head around this viewpoint that Hackenberg is an elite QB. He's got a strong arm, sure, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Yes, his O-line was awful, but he wasn't under pressure EVERY time he threw, and I've seen lots of god-awful inaccurate throws from him the past couple of years. Not to say Franklin is a great coach either, but Hackenberg's just not that good.

Reaction Score
I thought O'Brien was taking PSU places. His teams looked fairly competent. I think had he stayed he could have PSU competing for at least the division.

He was there with juniors and seniors from before the sanctions. PSU didn't feel the impact until the Franklin years. PSU had multiple walk-ons on the field at any given time.

Reaction Score
He was there with juniors and seniors from before the sanctions. PSU didn't feel the impact until the Franklin years. PSU had multiple walk-ons on the field at any given time.
Could they have done the preferred walk on route, with the ability to give them a scholarship when the sanctions are lifted? Or would that have been against the rules?

Reaction Score
Could they have done the preferred walk on route, with the ability to give them a scholarship when the sanctions are lifted? Or would that have been against the rules?

Good question, but in reality it didn't make a difference since the lack of scholarships always meant that any that opened up were always going to go to high school kids.

But look at Carl Nassib. He was a walk-on who was just drafted into the NFL.

Reaction Score
I assume we're talking about the same James Franklin countless here were pining for back when HCRE left

I understand PSU's fan base and their frustration - they spent decades as a top 25 program and have fallen on what they would classify as lean years. I think it is misplaced in that, as someone above said, he was playing high stakes poker and was not allowed to be issued a face card. I would think the future will be better, but unlikely to return to the glory days. Time will tell how god a coach he really is.

As for Vandy fans - while I am thrilled to hear they have some, are those 3 guys freaking kidding? No one did what he did there. No one may ever again. 24-15, 2 9-win seasons, 3 bowl games, a top 25 season and a top 20 ranked recruiting class. Think of how frustrating it was for us to go a few years with no bowl - try 26 years w/o one. How's Derek Mason working out for you?

Reaction Score
If Franklin is run out of PSU, will the name Bob Diaco come up ? Dynamic, B1G backround , strong NJ recruiter. Great salesman. Just needs a successful 2016-17 UConn season.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Franklin is run out of PSU, will the name Bob Diaco come up ? Dynamic, B1G backround , strong NJ recruiter. Great salesman. Just needs a successful 2016-17 UConn season.
If he finishes ranked, there might be a chance. PSU isn't settling for someone who can't win 10 games in the American.

Reaction Score
Really? I've followed PSU over the last few years as 2 nieces and now my daughter are students there, and I cannot wrap my head around this viewpoint that Hackenberg is an elite QB. He's got a strong arm, sure, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Yes, his O-line was awful, but he wasn't under pressure EVERY time he threw, and I've seen lots of god-awful inaccurate throws from him the past couple of years. Not to say Franklin is a great coach either, but Hackenberg's just not that good.

I get that, he's the most polarizing QB prospect in a very long time because of how divided people are on him. Some draft "experts" thought he shouldn't have been drafted at all. I think he was so shell-shocked by the OL issues and the offensive system never clicked with him. He was rarely in-sync with his WR's. It was almost Murphy's Law under Franklin - when Hack had time, no one was open. Plus he was pressured far too often. When he made a nice throw it was often dropped. It was comical, something went wrong on so many plays - Hack missed a throw, didn't have time to throw, no one was open or guys dropped the ball.

Accuracy also wasn't that big of an issue his freshman year. Franklin changed his some of his mechanics, most notably his footwork. I think his mechanics were good coming out of HS and his freshman - I don't think he has to develop those areas of his game, just re-find them. Chan Gailey has a good reputation with QBs at the next level, I think he'll fix most of the issues that Hackenberg has right now. The most intriguing part of Hack is that he already knows how to run an NFL system and he's a football die hard, has a great work ethic and will put the time in. I'd rather take a shot on him than a one-read guy like Paxton Lynch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom