Penn State Football Unionizing...In talks with Big 10 | The Boneyard

Penn State Football Unionizing...In talks with Big 10

Reaction Score
Revenue sharing request may require a players strike. I would absolutely love to see this in the B1G and sec. I wonder if fans would cross picket lines, lol. Would the “students athletes“ be banned from attending classes or workouts.

@Exit 4, in the sec how many of these kids receive an education they can leverage after they leave. Many don’t have the option of the nfl. It is a job now, but it comes with a very short career. What happened at UNC was a disgrace and thats only the tip of the iceberg.

Reaction Score
Fine.
Let’s be fair and real about it.
Highly recruited and fail to develop as projected.
You’re cut.
B-bye.
Open up a roster spot for another “body”.
Your 1-2 year education in communications or travel and hospitality ain’t gonna get you too far.
Careful what you wish for.

Reaction Score
Geez, so much for amateur athletics. I blame the Olympic Committee for opening this can of worms when they allowed pro athletes to compete in the Olympics. Since then amateur athletics has decayed into this, unionized college athletics. And when these college athletes don't get their way and go on strike the fans as usual will do most of the suffering.

Reaction Score
Well this isn’t good. Unionization of college football players and the push for a Power 2 are the beginning of the end of major college football. I know this has been unfolding gradually over the years but now it’s finally reached a point of no return. When greed/power/money becomes the primary motivation over the greater good of the student athletes, the eventual demise is inevitable. I really believe that the days of college football are numbered. Greed, combined with the diminishing interest in the sport due to head injuries, is going to be the end of it. I think it’ll all be gone in 20-30 years. I’d love to see the B1G and the SEC struggle because of their money lust.

Reaction Score
Let’s try this again….

Penn State QB Sean Clifford, Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren discuss improving benefits

-> Big Ten football players have had conversations with league commissioner Kevin Warren this week about giving athletes a bigger voice in the future and about improving a variety of benefits for players. Warren also spoke with the leader of a nascent players' association about the possibility of having an independent group represent the players in conversations with the league.

Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford said the conversations with Warren have been a positive, collaborative start to giving players a seat at the table in future decisions with the league. He said he and the other players he has spoken with have no intention of creating a union or entering a contentious negotiation with the league at this point.

Warren issued a statement later Friday saying that the Big Ten has, indeed, started "the process of formalizing the Big Ten Student-Athlete Advisory Committee to seek input from our student-athletes, including Sean Clifford, about the changing landscape of college athletics." He added that the conference "has not had any negotiations with the CFBPA, or any players' organization, and do not have any scheduled." <-

Reaction Score
Let’s try this again….

Penn State QB Sean Clifford, Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren discuss improving benefits

-> Big Ten football players have had conversations with league commissioner Kevin Warren this week about giving athletes a bigger voice in the future and about improving a variety of benefits for players. Warren also spoke with the leader of a nascent players' association about the possibility of having an independent group represent the players in conversations with the league.

Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford said the conversations with Warren have been a positive, collaborative start to giving players a seat at the table in future decisions with the league. He said he and the other players he has spoken with have no intention of creating a union or entering a contentious negotiation with the league at this point.

Warren issued a statement later Friday saying that the Big Ten has, indeed, started "the process of formalizing the Big Ten Student-Athlete Advisory Committee to seek input from our student-athletes, including Sean Clifford, about the changing landscape of college athletics." He added that the conference "has not had any negotiations with the CFBPA, or any players' organization, and do not have any scheduled." <-
Whatever you want to call it, student athletes are getting together in an organized format as a group to demand concessions from their "employer". I understand they don't yet want to call it a union, but that essentially what it is.

Reaction Score
Whatever you want to call it, student athletes are getting together in an organized format as a group to demand concessions from their "employer". I understand they don't yet want to call it a union, but that essentially what it is.

Northwestern Football tried to unionize unsuccessfully back in 2015/2016? The PAC12 and a few others (#WeAreUnited) tried it in 2020 - not sure it got them any where significant.

Eventually, there will be some success but the way a “story” starts and gets legs is laughable in the “be first-not accurate” day and age. (I’m talking the “media” - not OP/You)

Reaction Score
Geez, so much for amateur athletics. I blame the Olympic Committee for opening this can of worms when they allowed pro athletes to compete in the Olympics. Since then amateur athletics has decayed into this, unionized college athletics. And when these college athletes don't get their way and go on strike the fans as usual will do most of the suffering.

German and Soviet athletes, just for starters, were professionals long before the Olympic Committee allowed over the counter professionals.

Reaction Score
Northwestern Football tried to unionize unsuccessfully back in 2015/2016? The PAC12 and a few others (#WeAreUnited) tried it in 2020 - not sure it got them any where significant.

Eventually, there will be some success but the way a “story” starts and gets legs is laughable in the “be first-not accurate” day and age.

With each passing year there is more and more money flowing in. Access or potential access to money drives behavior, many times crazy behavior. It’s not just the athletes it’s also their personal “team” supporting them.

Reaction Score
German and Soviet athletes, just for starters, were professionals long before the Olympic Committee allowed over the counter professionals.
Did that make it right? I don't think so. They should have been banned until they conformed and played by the same rules everyone did. But we don't live in that world anymore. We live in a world where you obey the rules you feel like and ignore the ones you don't like.

Reaction Score

Suffering?
Moi?
Au contrare.
Amateur sports is an interesting diversion from the day to day.
There are a unlimited options available to a curious mind and body.
NFL, NBA are already off my radar.
MLBB fading.
Track and field very enjoyable.
Canoeing, cooking, gardening, fishing, on and on and on.
Unlimited options for an active body and mind.
When they screw it up, I’ll move on.
No worries.

Reaction Score
Did that make it right? I don't think so. They should have been banned until they conformed and played by the same rules everyone did. But we don't live in that world anymore. We live in a world where you obey the rules you feel like and ignore the ones you don't like.

I was simply stating a fact.

Reaction Score
Of course, everyone has the point of enough is enough and moves on. I'm just saying it's sad that the fans are the last voice paid attention to when if it wasn't for the fans there would be no organized sports.

Reaction Score
Suffering?
Moi?
Au contrare.
Amateur sports is an interesting diversion from the day to day.
There are a unlimited options available to a curious mind and body.
NFL, NBA are already off my radar.
MLBB fading.
Track and field very enjoyable.
Canoeing, cooking, gardening, fishing, on and on and on.
Unlimited options for an active body and mind.
When they screw it up, I’ll move on.
No worries.

How does hurling not make your list?

My diversion is the sports I play or the walks on the beach I take. I have no desire to invest in a major amount of TV watching. I’ll watch UConn games otherwise its replays or game highlights if I am interested. When the NFL starts, I’m not giving up a beautiful Saturday to my a z z on a coach. I‘ll do that when the weather is lousy. Outside of UConn, I’ve lost my interest.

Reaction Score
No argument from me.
Same process in most sectors of of a capitalist society.
Manufacturers create a good product and offer it at a fair price.
Marketplace consumes it.
Considers it a fair value proposition.
Then manufacturers cheapen the product, raise the price or diminish the experience.
Reaches an unacceptable level.
Demand destruction occurs.
Marketplace bails, seeks alternative value propositions.
Contrary to Gordon Gecko-“greed ain’t good.”

Reaction Score
How does hurling not make your list?

My diversion is the sports I play or the walks on the beach I take. I have no desire to invest in a major amount of TV watching. I’ll watch UConn games otherwise its replays or game highlights if I am interested. When the NFL starts, I’m not giving up a beautiful Saturday to my a z z on a coach. I‘ll do that when the weather is lousy. Outside of UConn, I’ve lost my interest.
Left “hurling” in my college days.
I also walk a great deal.
Earbuds in- very therapeutic in a variety of ways.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually blame justice Kavanaugh for his concurring opinion in which he states that athletes are actually employees. Entirely pointless dicta that will have long reaching consequences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let’s try this again….

“ at this point“

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom