Penn St. picks up 2015 verbal | The Boneyard

Penn St. picks up 2015 verbal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good for Washington!

She is another one (Duke being the first) that has a forward/post filled roster!

Reaction Score
Good for Washington!

She is another one (Duke being the first) that has a forward/post filled roster!

except Duke has much more talent. 2014-15 could be a long season for PSU

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
St. John's...if I recall correctly, that's the same HS Linsday Allen went to. If so, that's quite the point guard factory.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A very good pickup for Penn State.

#7 on HoopGurlz. She was 1st Team Washington Post All-Met, as was De'Janae. St. John's is usually an excellent team. Marissa Coleman played there. So did Lindsay Allen.

How is Brenda letting these kids get away? :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

#7 on HoopGurlz. She was 1st Team Washington Post All-Met, as was De'Janae. St. John's is usually an excellent team. Marissa Coleman played there. So did Lindsay Allen.

That's a fair question, Mr. 10,000+ posts (congrats on the milestone!!). I know you said it sort of tongue-in-cheek - and it is a fair question. I don't have an answer - UMD has a terrific academic reputation, is in a great location, has a wonderful campus and top notch facilities. They are just coming off a final 4 run and do have 1 NC in their back pocket.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's a fair question, Mr. 10,000+ posts (congrats on the milestone!!). I know you said it sort of tongue-in-cheek - and it is a fair question. I don't have an answer - UMD has a terrific academic reputation, is in a great location, has a wonderful campus and top notch facilities. They are just coming off a final 4 run and do have 1 NC in their back pocket.
Thanks for the comment, Dude. I thought I was still short of 10.000. So much for quality over quantity! :)

Yes, Maryland is a good school. Interestingly, UConn has passed it on the US News list. :)

Reaction Score

great location ? nope

getting destroyed by a shorthanded Notre Dame in the final 4 doesn't help recruiting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
great location ? nope

getting destroyed by a shorthanded Notre Dame in the final 4 doesn't help recruiting.
Really? It's about 15 miles from College Park to our nation's capital. DC is an incredible city filled with amazing museums and history. Additionally, College Park is not as hot as Connecticut (rarely gets over 90), nor does it get as cold there. I guess you and I have far different ideas of what makes a great location.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Baltimore is a very humid city. Also, has tremendous social challenges as a city.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Baltimore is a very humid city. Also, has tremendous social challenges as a city.
I was referring to Washington DC for proximity, not Baltimore, altho College Park is about 30 miles from that city. Certainly a much better location than Storrs, which is 2 hours from Boston or NYC, give or take. I think DC is just a terrific city.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
UMD has a DC orientation rather than Baltimore - the campus is located insider the I-95/495 DC Beltway, and the Washington Metro connects to the campus. I suspect that Ursusminor, should she read this thread, would raise her eyebrows to ericsandiego's notion that College Park isn't as hot as Connecticut - she was born and raised in CT, but has spent the last 4 years in Greenbelt, MD, adjacent to College Park (where she is working on her Phd). I think she finds metro DC hotter and more humid, even more humid than the CT shoreline.

Reaction Score
Really? It's about 15 miles from College Park to our nation's capital. DC is an incredible city filled with amazing museums and history. Additionally, College Park is not as hot as Connecticut (rarely gets over 90), nor does it get as cold there. I guess you and I have far different ideas of what makes a great location.

it sounds like you have never been there, College Park is just 3 miles from DC. NE Washington DC is a very rough area, and the national mall is several miles away.

College Park is in Prince Georges County, which is not exactly Beverly Hills.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Joanne Boyle Virginia better start camping out in DC and land a few of there goodies.

Reaction Score
it sounds like you have never been there, College Park is just 3 miles from DC. NE Washington DC is a very rough area, and the national mall is several miles away.

College Park is in Prince Georges County, which is not exactly Beverly Hills.
The NE section of Washington close to U of M is one of the better sections of Washington,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
College Park is not a bad place, but not particularly interesting either. It's certainly not Georgetown. Nor is it the ghetto of NYC, Chicago, or LA.

The campus is fairly nice, and the arena is excellent. The best thing about the location is the proximity to DC--an easy Metro ride or an easy drive on the rare occasions that traffic is manageable. For all intents and purposes from a student's perspective, the school is in DC.

Reaction Score

I'm going to have to ask how do they decided to place Carter (7)ahead for Boykin(10)?

I think I know the real answer but wow!

Carter is a good pickup but I think Bret has it about right, HG's ranking are just baffling as usual

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The NE section of Washington close to U of M is one of the better sections of Washington,
John is correct - I've never been to College Park, but by great location, even if it's not in the "most beautiful part of town", the fact that UMD is 15 miles away from our nations capital makes it's location fantastic. USC is another example of a school that is in a great location - gorgeous campus, but the area immediately surrounding the campus is NOT a nice part of town. Very rough. Still, USC is in a great location overall in southern California...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Eric about USC. My niece attended there. It's a beautiful campus, but a few blocks away, the neighborhood gets rough. The same with Penn, Yale, Columbia, and the U. of Chicago.

On the subject of DC girls' basketball, it's quite good. Hypothetically, if a coach could get all the metro area talent, the team would be top 5-15 year in and year out. Riverdale Baptist is a national power. St. John's is very good. Eleanor Roosevelt was a monster this year, beating De'Janae's team twice by 20+.

In addition to our Jamelle and Kaili, notable players have included Kara Lawson, Monica Wright, Jasmine Thomas, Lynetta Kizer, Marissa Coleman, and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt. Current college players include Lindsay Allen, Jonquel Jones, and Natalie Butler.

On the men's side, some skinny kid named Kevin something-or-other a few years ago was pretty good. I just read that he won some big award. :)

Reaction Score
the USC comparison is valid

Godfather, NE Washington is nice ? so is the Iceman, and Jimmy Hoffa too

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Parts of Northeast DC are nice middle-class neighborhoods. Obviously, the nicest parts of town are in Northwest, near Georgetown and American University. The average house price in both neighborhoods is well over $1M, possibly double or triple that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Perhaps some of these DC Metro/Maryland girls just would like to go some distance to another school.... just for a change of scenery. I know if I was born and raised in that area.. I'd surely prefer to go to Penn State than stay local and go to Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom