Paul Pasqualoni should just resign | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paul Pasqualoni should just resign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni won't resign, at least not until the end of the season. And UConn won't fire him, again at least until the end of the season. if I had to guess, I would guess that he will be offered a 3rd year with changes to the coaching staff. Nobody has really discussed it, but the fact that UConn has retained most of the Edsall staff was never a logical thing to me. Most of the time when a head coach comes in he brings a complete change, retaining maybe 1 or two guys from the old staff but that's it. It was strange the way UConn did it.

I'm just going to put pre-emptive warning up here, that this is all from foggy memory, and could be all completely wrong....

but with that said, I think it was Hathaway's use of the calendar year, rather than the academic year for structuring coaching contracts - that is the issue as to why Pasqualoni retained every single coach that didn't voluntarily leave on their own, and it won't be until Jan. 1, 2013, that Manuel will have a chance to correct that.

I don't recall specifics, but along with his many failures as AD, Hathaway put together a contract structure for assistant football coaches and the head coach too (Edsall) that ran by calendar year, rather than academic year. (Jan. 1-Dec. 31 rather than July 1-June30). This is not compeltely unheard of, but doesn't make much sense. Academic calendars run July 1 - June 30, teaching contracts,coaches, nearly every other university employee contract, in most places I'm aware of - run on an academic year basis, not calendar year. Payrolls are assembled based on the academic year, not the jan. 1- Jan. 1 calendar years....etc.

Because Hathaway had the contracts running from Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, i recall it always a pain in the ass for Edsall, because he had to make sure his assistant contracts were in place and going to be renewed, in the middle of the prime recruiting season of the year. Also, by waiting until Jan. 1, 2011 to notify Hathaway, of his intention to interview for another job, and I don't think he had signed his renewal yet, Edsall technically did nothing wrong contractually. He was technically free to interview and take another job as he pleased, the day BEFORE the Fiesta Bowl, and that's what he did.

I don't know what was going on with the assistant contracts during those hectic few weeks in January 2011, but I do know it's highly, highly unusual for a head coach to come in and essentially retain every one of the assistants, that didn't voluntarily leave for other jobs, at that time. Joe Moorhead, left in December 2011, shortly before a jan.1-jan.1 contract would have expired/been renewed, and the other guys that left with edsall, probably never renewed contracts with Hathaway, or were released from them, becuase if they did sign, it was a matter of hours literally, that what they had signed had been in effect, before the world got turned upside down, and the ones that stayed, had brand new contracts....messy, messy situation.

I don't know the contractual actual dates/length of pasqualoni's contract, but I'm pretty sure that Warde Manuel, is going to look at those coaching contracts and get them adjusted to the academice year, rather than the calendar year. Since Warde wasn't official hired until february 2012, it's entirely likely that coaching contracts were simply automatically renewed as of jan.1, 2012, and run through jan. 1, 2013, and at that point, is when Manueal will have his first chance to try to get the coaching contracts matched up with the academic calendar.

All of this, is internet message board speculation, based on my foggy memory.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...Calhoun would have been fired 50 times if the AD listened to Arnold Dean's show 20 years ago...

Apples and Avacados, I'm afraid.
-Calhoun was in his early 40's and had a positive track record, showing success and progress at every level.
-Calhoun was 9-19 in 1987, but 20-14 and NIT Championship in 1988 (i.e. immediate upward trajectory.)
-Calhoun took over a middling, if not worse, basketball team.

I could go on, but I believe the point is clear.

Reaction Score
Lets face it we got stuck with the HCPP from his last couple years at Cuse and not the one that won all the BE games.

It was a safe hire by JH -not actually a good hire.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Unless something is leaked, no one at UConn, specifically the AD's office, will address Coach Pasqualoni's situation any further than it already has been addressed. Not at least until December 3.

He will not be fired during the year, because:
(a) There is no available viable replacement.
(b) It will kill the rest of this season
(c) and will affect next season and beyond more than you can imgine...even further than how Penn State was affected.

Reaction Score
Unless something is leaked, no one at UConn, specifically the AD's office, will address Coach Pasqualoni's situation any further than it already has been addressed. Not at least until December 3.

(c) and will affect next season and beyond more than you can imgine...even further than how Penn State was affected.

Are you for real - Please, please, please explain letter (c)??????

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
HCPP is one makeable field goal away from a 4-4 season.

HCPP is now in the Terrible Twenty at CoachesHotSeat.com and poised to finish in the Fiery 15 if he goes 1-3 down the stretch. Maybe even work his way into the Top 10 preaseason 2013 after the next round of head cuts

Reaction Score
Lets face it we got stuck with the HCPP from his last couple years at Cuse and not the one that won all the BE games.

That's like marrying a 40 year old woman and saying "I didn't get the hot, sweet girl of her 20s -- I got the older, bitchier woman of her 30s."

Well, duh.

What in the world made anyone think that we weren't getting the P who was fired at Syracuse despite having achieved a great deal over a prolonged period of time? What made anyone think we were getting the girl in her 20s when the 30s had already turned out not as well?

That's what I'd like someone who liked the hiring to explain to me

Reaction Score
That's like marrying a 40 year old woman and saying "I didn't get the hot, sweet girl of her 20s -- I got the older, bitchier woman of her 30s."

Well, duh.

What in the world made anyone think that we weren't getting the P who was fired at Syracuse despite having achieved a great deal over a prolonged period of time? What made anyone think we were getting the girl in her 20s when the 30s had already turned out not as well?

That's what I'd like someone who liked the hiring to explain to me

Not many Boneyard posters wanted P prior to his hire. Once the hire was made many rallied around him because as a fan there is nothing you can do about it so you just root, root, root for the home team.

The two coaches who seemed to have the most support in here when the search was going on were the Delaware coach and Garrick Mcgee. Most were anti Addazio, anti Whipple, and anti P.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni won't resign, at least not until the end of the season. And UConn won't fire him, again at least until the end of the season. if I had to guess, I would guess that he will be offered a 3rd year with changes to the coaching staff. Nobody has really discussed it, but the fact that UConn has retained most of the Edsall staff was never a logical thing to me. Most of the time when a head coach comes in he brings a complete change, retaining maybe 1 or two guys from the old staff but that's it. It was strange the way UConn did it.
BAZINGA! PP was almost totally disconnected from college football and almost HAD to keep Edsall's staff, that, or quickly hire a bunch of guys he really didn't know or waste valuable time interviewing a bunch of guys. The only guy he knew well with college experience was , . . . .uh, gag, uh . . . GDL. We caught a break that Don Brown became available. It would have been hard to gather a staff with better resumes than the one that was ready-made.
Yes, it was strange (and appalling) the way JH did this.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sure, but first let me ask a question..Is it possible you latched onto the stigma of Penn State, without considering that I don't mean to imply scandal afoot at UConn? I only meant that Penn State was set back a few years due to their situation...

Firing the Head Coach midseason (or if even the mere announcement of an imminent firing) = goodbye recruiting class in both quantity and quality for multiple years. Going forward, a kid (or future coaching candidate, for that matter) will have a harder time believing that the school won't simply give up during the season. It opens the door for more negative recruiting, ala BC-Nebrich. Can't win games without the players, first and foremost.

To address your question more directly...UConn does not have fanbase, history, legacy or Whale Donors that a progrm like Penn State has. That horrific scandal hit Penn State and they lost 10,000 paying customers at Beaver Stadium, where 10,000 people is about 7% of capacity. UConn loses that many and the Rent is at 75% of total capacity, which is about where we are now. Do you really think it will get any better if the above happens?

I wrote in a diferent thread a couple weeks ago that:
BCS Bowl = Exposure = Recruits = Wins = BCS Tournement = happy alumni = $$$ = Funding for non-football and basketball sports. Rinse. Repeat.

Take off the "BCS Bowl = Exposure = (Which referred to the 2010 season)" and it's just as much a true statement, especially going forward...

Husky25

Reaction Score
HCPP is one makeable field goal away from a 4-4 season.

HCPP is now in the Terrible Twenty at CoachesHotSeat.com and poised to finish in the Fiery 15 if he goes 1-3 down the stretch. Maybe even work his way into the Top 10 preaseason 2013 after the next round of head cuts

He was one makable field goal from winning a game he should have won by 27.

Husky25

Reaction Score
BAZINGA! PP was almost totally disconnected from college football and almost HAD to keep Edsall's staff, that, or quickly hire a bunch of guys he really didn't know or waste valuable time interviewing a bunch of guys. The only guy he knew well with college experience was , . . . .uh, gag, uh . . . GDL. We caught a break that Don Brown became available. It would have been hard to gather a staff with better resumes than the one that was ready-made.
Yes, it was strange (and appalling) the way JH did this.
Didn't CBS trademark, "Bazinga". You're gonna have to wipe it off all your posts...:)

Reaction Score

Are you for real - Please, please, please explain letter (c)??????

Sure, but first let me ask a question..Is it possible you latched onto the stigma of Penn State, without considering that I don't mean to imply scandal afoot at UConn? I only meant that Penn State was set back a few years due to their situation...

Firing the Head Coach midseason (or if even the mere announcement of an imminent firing) = goodbye recruiting class in both quantity and quality for multiple years. Going forward, a kid (or future coaching candidate, for that matter) will have a harder time believing that the school won't simply give up during the season. It opens the door for more negative recruiting, ala BC-Nebrich. Can't win games without the players, first and foremost.

To address your question more directly...UConn does not have fanbase, history, legacy or Whale Donors that a progrm like Penn State has. That horrific scandal hit Penn State and they lost 10,000 paying customers at Beaver Stadium, where 10,000 people is about 7% of capacity. UConn loses that many and the Rent is at 75% of total capacity, which is about where we are now. Do you really think it will get any better if the above happens?

I wrote in a diferent thread a couple weeks ago that:
BCS Bowl = Exposure = Recruits = Wins = BCS Tournement = happy alumni = $$$ = Funding for non-football and basketball sports. Rinse. Repeat.

Take off the "BCS Bowl = Exposure = (Which referred to the 2010 season)" and it's just as much a true statement, especially going forward...

I had no clue what you were implying - that's why I asked before commenting any further. I still don't buy the comparison after your explanation (it's overstated quite a bit) but it's not worth parsing in detail. People bailed on PSU because they did not morally want to be associated with the University - not because their football coach/team sucked.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
He was one makable field goal from winning a game he should have won by 27.

Really? We should beat Temple by 27?

If we deal with reality for a moment...

2010 - Loss to Temple 30-16
2008 - Won 12-9 in OT
2007 - Won 22-17 After a Temple TD was reversed with 40 seconds to go.

That track record hardly suggests we should have won by 27.

Now, it our kicker made a routine kick or two, we would have won 17-14 or 20-14.

Reaction Score

2008 - Won 12-9 in OT

Now, it our kicker made a routine kick or two, we would have won 17-14 or 20-14.

Did you watch or listen to the game? The fact that UConn was up by 14 at the end of the first qtr and the opportunities they let get away that resulted in field goal tries instead of TDs clearly provides evidence that a 25 Point victory vs Temple was at least well within the realm of possibility and should have been the result.

Husky25

Reaction Score

2008 - Won 12-9 in OT

Yup…My point is that the coaches should have never had the team in that position in the first place. 27 point may be slight hyperbole, but not by so much to be completely unreasonable.

In reality, 2007-2010 has nothing to do with this team. In fact, I’m pretty sure that no one who played in the 2007 or 2008 games were allowed to play on October 13.
In reality, football is not played in a vacuum where each play is independent of the play before or after.
In reality, UConn was leading 14-0 after the 1st Qtr. and in complete control.
In reality, while the Huskies moved the ball enough to get into field goal range on 4additional occasions, they inexplicably took their foot off the gas.

According to my sight test, some of those field goal attempts quite probably should have been PAT attempts with an adjustment or two. If they do that just once, it’s 21-7 with less than 3:00 left. If they hit one of those other field goals? Game over…Also remember, one of those misses came on the first drive of the game.

Of course that’s purely speculation. However in the scenario that you posited, UConn makes 2 out of the 3 field goals and UConn is still up by 13 with less than 3:00 left. In order for Temple to win, they still would have had to score 2 TDs with 2:56 left. They would have to come out 5 wide and throwing with a QB who had 85 yards at that point. I’ll take my chances with that…

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yup…My point is that the coaches should have never had the team in that position in the first place. 27 point may be slight hyperbole, but not by so much to be completely unreasonable.

In reality, 2007-2010 has nothing to do with this team. In fact, I’m pretty sure that no one who played in the 2007 or 2008 games were allowed to play on October 13.
In reality, football is not played in a vacuum where each play is independent of the play before or after.
In reality, UConn was leading 14-0 after the 1st Qtr. and in complete control.
In reality, while the Huskies moved the ball enough to get into field goal range on 4additional occasions, they inexplicably took their foot off the gas.

According to my sight test, some of those field goal attempts quite probably should have been PAT attempts with an adjustment or two. If they do that just once, it’s 21-7 with less than 3:00 left. If they hit one of those other field goals? Game over…Also remember, one of those misses came on the first drive of the game.

Of course that’s purely speculation. However in the scenario that you posited, UConn makes 2 out of the 3 field goals and UConn is still up by 13 with less than 3:00 left. In order for Temple to win, they still would have had to score 2 TDs with 2:56 left. They would have to come out 5 wide and throwing with a QB who had 85 yards at that point. I’ll take my chances with that…

We lost the game because our FG kicker had a terrible day. It happens.

The coaches put us in position to win that game. Period.

Husky25

Reaction Score
UConn was in A position to win the game. IMO, the coaches on the offensive side of the ball had little to do with it after the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
I agree with 25 on this. We really could have and should have had a big lead. If they scored a late touchdown, it wouldn't have mattered.

Reaction Score
You mean just like the Idaho Vandals fans that thought Robb Akey was going to get FIRED MID-SEASON ???
What moron Fans they must have been for thinking a coach can get canned mid-season!!!...:rolleyes:

Oh wait Idaho’s Robb Akey becomes this year’s first coaching casualty what???

OK seriously, I know the odds may be low that PP & co will be fired mid season, and it's only a little higher at the end of the season and a little more higher odds that it will occur after next season. But with every badly managed game those odds Increase. But don't call someone a moron just you don't agree. That just shows more about you than someone else.

One more thing, we don't know what Warde is thinking... hopefully he's already compiling a list of coaching candidates.

Reaction Score
paul pasqualoni is a "retread." guy whose best years are 15 years in the rear view mirror. not a guy who could sit in a families living room and inspire a top player to come to UCONN over equal or better schools. I fault the hiring committee for recommending him, including the baseball coach: what the hell does he know about football - knew it was a mistake form the "get go"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I only meant that Penn State was set back a few years due to their situation...

This is what is so infuriating. There is at the moment a vacuum in the northeast that nobody could have anticipated a few years ago. If there ever was a time where we could have capitalized greatly on a string of a few years of quality, exciting football this would be the time. Instead, while playing mediocre opponents we look like a JV team trying to go against the varsity.

Reaction Score
paul pasqualoni is a "retread." guy whose best years are 15 years in the rear view mirror. not a guy who could sit in a families living room and inspire a top player to come to UCONN over equal or better schools. I fault the hiring committee for recommending him, including the baseball coach: what the hell does he know about football - knew it was a mistake form the "get go"

And now UConn must undo their mistake. Just do it quickly so that PP doesn't set the program back any further than he already has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom