Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Solidly in play.

Aka: Non-Reaper

tenor.gif

pj

Reaction Score
I’m a traditionalist, I think the higher release is better in almost every way. I don’t like that they teach young kids that style.

That said, it works if you make it work, just like any shot. I don’t think it’s ideal, but you can learn to shoot well with almost any form if you work on it enough.

The high release is important for high volume shooters who are going to be well guarded. The lower release can give a higher percentage of makes, but you need more space to get it off, so it's only going to support a low volume shooter.

Taliek Brown would have been better off with a low release that went in, because guys sagged off him 6-8 feet. The Ray Allens of the world need a high release.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The high release is important for high volume shooters who are going to be well guarded. The lower release can give a higher percentage of makes, but you need more space to get it off, so it's only going to support a low volume shooter.

Taliek Brown would have been better off with a low release that went in, because guys sagged off him 6-8 feet. The Ray Allens of the world need a high release.
It can also work if you’re good enough to create space or learn to get to it off extremely quickly like Curry.

Reaction Score
I don’t buy this. There’s one steph curry, he’s the outlier. We shouldn’t teach young basketball players to shoot at their chest, just because there’s one example of it working extremely well. All of the other great shooters have traditional releases, I’m pretty sure.

I didn’t either, but I’m telling you, the ball gets realeased faster. I’ve been teaching kids to shoot a textbook jump shot for years. My kid plays point guard and shooting guard and he definitely creates space, but he can get his shot off at will against much bigger players. He is quick, has a good handle and creates space. However, he’s a whopping 6’ and 147lbs. His size is killing him in going D1, he’s going D3 unless we opt for prep school last minute. He isn’t very tall and he isn’t very strong compared to the kids he competes against. He’s played with High Major D1 players in AAU for 2 years. He almost never can’t squeeze a shot off. I tried to coach him to raise the ball up and his constant complaint was speed. He’s right. He can’t get a shot off as fast.

This comes from me, who can shoot the crap out of the ball, but I could always be locked up by a great athlete. He is basically never locked up. The ball is gone so fast it’s ridiculous. Also, he’s definitely high volume. He plays for a 2000+ student high school and an AAU program that places a couple high D1 players per year. He won tourney MVP twice last spring in AAU (out of say 6 events) and averaged 19ppg in high school on a team with 4 double digit scorers. It is the new way and you’ll see a ton of kids doing it over time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn’t either, but I’m telling you, the ball gets realeased faster. I’ve been teaching kids to shoot a textbook jump shot for years. My kid plays point guard and shooting guard and he definitely creates space, but he can get his shot off at will against much bigger players. He is quick, has a good handle and creates space. However, he’s a whopping 6’ and 147lbs. His size is killing him in going D1, he’s going D3 unless we opt for prep school last minute. He isn’t very tall and he isn’t very strong compared to the kids he competes against. He’s played with High Major D1 players in AAU for 2 years. He almost never can’t squeeze a shot off. I tried to coach him to raise the ball up and his constant complaint was speed. He’s right. He can’t get a shot off as fast.

This comes from me, who can shoot the crap out of the ball, but I could always be locked up by a great athlete. He is basically never locked up. The ball is gone so fast it’s ridiculous. Also, he’s definitely high volume. He plays for a 2000+ student high school and an AAU program that places a couple high D1 players per year. He won tourney MVP twice last spring in AAU (out of say 6 events) and averaged 19ppg in high school on a team with 4 double digit scorers. It is the new way and you’ll see a ton of kids doing it over time.

A better example would be klay. Just as good a shooter, but his set point is much higher

The ray allen, MJ type shot is dead. It's an innefecient motion because they release on the way down.

But steph is also an anomaly. Theres a middle ground which is the best for most players

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Being proud of our kids is one of Life's most distinctive blessings. Congratulations on your shared journey.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don’t buy this. There’s one steph curry, he’s the outlier. We shouldn’t teach young basketball players to shoot at their chest, just because there’s one example of it working extremely well. All of the other great shooters have traditional releases, I’m pretty sure.

All the other shooters to date* wait 10 years...great shooters will shoot from their chest the same way people in the NBA wanted to hit the crossover like AI or dunk like Jordan.

Reaction Score
Anybody besides me remember the two hand set shot? Underhand foul shots? Damn man I am getting old! There are so many really well informed guys in the boneyard. I really enjoy reading all this technical breakdown of shooting styles and other stuff. Glad I signed up for the boneyard.

Reaction Score
What strikes me most about Mulcahy is his composure; the game has slowed down for him and I can see him having this cerebral quality on the college level. He really does make the players around him better with his team play. He has a natural, unhurried pace to his game, and his scoring comes within the flow of the offense. He's not a one man magic show. That shooting stroke may change some; he's young yet.

Bigger guard with a good handle, that sees the whole floor and makes smart effective passes. I see him as a glue guy that doesn't make many mistakes, and whose smart play contributes to a team oriented offense. Team chemistry kind of player.

Sign'im up.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
All shooting form debates aside (apologize for contributing to the sidebar) I love his game and his fit for UConn.

I’d be very excited for a guard like him.

Add Igie - pop and we’re the most Irishy team ever; Calhoun approves.

Reaction Score
The entire ball is in the way at the start of the shot though.

Stephen-Curry-Shooting-form-break-down-frame-by-frame-1-715x400.jpg

The elbow-in thing is the biggest misnomer in shooting. The greatest shooters in history, plus many very good shooters, had their elbow out: Reggie, Ray Ray, etc. Having your elbow out allows for a smoother release, a better look at your target, and it's much easier to get more arc on your shot (this is why Kobe's elbow-in shot was always flat IMO). As long as you push through the bottom of the ball and follow through with your off-hand (as Mark Price preached) you don't have to worry about your shot drifting left or right due to your elbow being out.

Re: the Curry one-piece: it works for some but not everyone. See Evan Turner's current form if you want to see how poorly it can go. I've tried a one-piece form when messing around in the gym and don't know how players do it. More power to those who can though.

This is absolutely classic you're critiquing and criticizing Kobe Bryant's shooting form. Reggie Miller's form is completely unorthodox and unique to him while Ray Allen's form is perfection and his elbow is certainly a lot more in than it is out.

Reaction Score
There have been thousands of players who never reached their potential because their release was too low. This actually is more common with big guys though. Smaller guards usually find a way to get their shot off because they find out very early that it isn't easy and learn to adapt. Talented bigs that have low releases and short arm their finishes find out much later that this isn't going to work and are usually to set in their habits to change much by the time they can't get their shot off without being blocked or bothered near the hoop anymore.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
“Even Fraser, who’s spent years working with Curry, concurs. “If I’m teaching someone how to shoot,” Fraser says. “Klay is the model.”

This appears to be something of a theme. In asking around, I heard it from coaches at high schools, developmental leagues, and clinics. Their message to young players: Appreciate Steph. But be like Klay.”

Reaction Score
Not even close, man. His elbow was never directly underneath the ball.

Ray-Allen-Shooting-Form-%E2%80%94-STACK.jpg

What's the angulation of his elbow heading outward? It's definitely less than 45 degrees which would prove my statement to be accurate. The elbow is more in than out. You see where this is going 'man'. Please share your credentials for critiquing and criticizing the shooting form of some of the greatest basketball players who ever lived.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What's the angulation of his elbow heading outward? It's definitely less than 45 degrees which would prove my statement to be accurate. The elbow is more in than out. You see where this is going 'man'. Please share your credentials for critiquing and criticizing the shooting form of some of the greatest basketball players who ever lived.

What are your credentials to critique him....

Reaction Score

You are wrong. And the one being argumentative. Not a good combination. Very insightful posts by @Lefty2one ITT.

Reaction Score
What are your credentials to critique him....

He's the one critiquing and criticizing some of the greatest basketball players who ever lived. It's laughable and I'm having some fun with it. Those are my credentials.

Reaction Score
You are wrong. And the one being argumentative. Not a good combination. Very insightful posts by @Lefty2one ITT.

So you think it's insightful to say that Kobe Bryant's shot is flat? Do you know who Kobe Bryant is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom