Patience Geno, patience - Piath needs time and instruction | The Boneyard

Patience Geno, patience - Piath needs time and instruction

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Someone was reminded of Stephanie Dolson when hearing Geno's words about Piath Gabriel. Patience will be the watch word.

Reaction Score
That appears to be a highlight video by a player's father attempting to use the notoriety of another player to gain attention for his kid. It's really not surprising that a 5'8" guard would be quicker than a 6'5" player drawn out to the perimeter. We also don't know what plays weren't shown. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on that video.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That appears to be a highlight video by a player's father attempting to use the notoriety of another player to gain attention for his kid. It's really not surprising that a 5'8" guard would be quicker than a 6'5" player drawn out to the perimeter. We also don't know what plays weren't shown. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on that video.

Sounds like good advice. I’ll take the high road and wait for Geno‘s initial public assessment of her skills and ability during his golf tournament in the summer. This video is not complementary of Piath at all.

Reaction Score
I was expecting next to come a segment with Piath highlights. Nope.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't understand the purpose of this video in the post.
Not to speak for the OP, but I would guess to showcase just how much work she needs, hence the "patience will be required" comments.

I don't necessarily disagree with the comment that patience will be needed, but as @kibblesnbits eloqently said, it's not surprising a 5'8" guard could take a post player off the dribble when the post player is guarding on the perimeter. Also well said about the notoriety comment - at the expense of Piath - tacky by the guard's father.

Side note - Geno has spoken about the recruits. In one quote, he said something like "Piath will be the player that will be the biggest surprise next season". But then another quote he said "She adds a presence in the lane that nobody in America has almost, a big 6-[5] kid that can take up space. What about the other stuff? The other stuff doesn’t exist."

So I'm not sure what to make of her. Lots of upside, but there's also a decent chance she will never develop at all. Will she end up more like Jess Moore, or Heather Buck?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If nothing else, she would be a good upgrade for Liv to practice against big / physically strong post defenders. Good place to start.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
All I expect from Freshman Piath is to clog the middle on D and grab a couple of boards while she gives Liv a breather. To me, that will be an effective contribution to start her Husky career. Might even be ring worthy.

Reaction Score
Piath received offers from 20 schools including Louisville, UNC, Pitt, Ohio State, Penn State, Marquette, Miami, Florida, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech, to name a few. I believe Geno, like these other schools see her potential with a lot of upside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone was reminded of Stephanie Dolson when hearing Geno's words about Piath Gabriel. Patience will be the watch word.

Gabriel will be luckier than Steph who was early in her Frosh year thrown at Griner and did a good job. She learned Div 1 WCBB by immersion. Gabriel shall have at least, possible more, Olivia to lead the way.
When we watch (for @meyers7 ) Bigs we need to remember Steph wasn't Steph for 2 or so years.

Reaction Score
Not to speak for the OP, but I would guess to showcase just how much work she needs, hence the "patience will be required" comments.

I don't necessarily disagree with the comment that patience will be needed, but as @kibblesnbits eloqently said, it's not surprising a 5'8" guard could take a post player off the dribble when the post player is guarding on the perimeter. Also well said about the notoriety comment - at the expense of Piath - tacky by the guard's father.

Side note - Geno has spoken about the recruits. In one quote, he said something like "Piath will be the player that will be the biggest surprise next season". But then another quote he said "She adds a presence in the lane that nobody in America has almost, a big 6-[5] kid that can take up space. What about the other stuff? The other stuff doesn’t exist."

So I'm not sure what to make of her. Lots of upside, but there's also a decent chance she will never develop at all. Will she end up more like Jess Moore, or Heather Buck?
Tacky to the n'th degree. The small guards are sometimes regarded as nats the Big's can't shake them and if the ball is ever lower than the shoulders of the Bigs--somehow those guards get em. Anyone who think a guard is exceptional for taking the ball away from a big on the dribble just hasn't seen or played the game.

Reaction Score

While I wasn't a big fan of Jessica Moore she wasn't in Heathers category. In her Jr or Sr years she (jessica) was a pretty good post and very useful for Geno. Heather was an excellent nurse and nice kid. Geno knew for years how to be or use patience. CD Developed Jessica Moore from raw, raw talent from Alaska.
All kids that play for Uconn are not DT, Sue, Swin, Stewie, Tuck, Moriah, Danferfield, Walker, or Aubrey yet they fill Geno's needs and win some NC's but along with that they are plain fun to watch develop. But you knew all this.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While I wasn't a big fan of Jessica Moore she wasn't in Heathers category. In her Jr or Sr years she (jessica) was a pretty good post and very useful for Geno. Heather was an excellent nurse and nice kid. Geno knew for years how to be or use patience. CD Developed Jessica Moore from raw, raw talent from Alaska.
All kids that play for Uconn are not DT, Sue, Swin, Stewie, Tuck, Moriah, Danferfield, Walker, or Aubrey yet they fill Geno's needs and win some NC's but along with that they are plain fun to watch develop. But you knew all this.
Jess Moore was very raw coming out of high school, so much so, in fact, that Geno decided to red shirt her for her freshman year. I don't believe that has ever been done in the history of UCONN WCBB (non-medical redshirt), so it speaks to how much work Jessica needed. Fortunately, she was not needed as she had Cash, Jones, and Williams ahead of her (which had a lot to do with the decision to redshirt her).

So I would disagree in that IMHO Buck and Moore both started off similarly in college (raw with lots of work needed - in fact, Buck probably had more physical gifts). Moore developed into a starting center at UCONN and had a nice 9 year WNBA career. Buck graduated with a Nursing degree, is by all accounts a great person, but from a hoops perspective, did nothing of note (with the exception of 1 game vs. Baylor where she did a bang up job on Griner).

Hence my question - will Gabriel develop more like Buck or Moore in her 4 years at UCONN?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

About the only post player who might guard on the perimeter would be Stewie, even she has problems out there.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Piath received offers from 20 schools including Louisville, UNC, Pitt, Ohio State, Penn State, Marquette, Miami, Florida, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech, to name a few. I believe Geno, like these other schools see her potential with a lot of upside.
Yes, agreed. but to say one has potential is to say they haven't done anything yet. But I trust the coaches. They seem to find gold more often than not. I am assuming that Geno might get useful minutes from her early and that by her junior year she will be a powerful force. I'm thinking Tina powerful.

Reaction Score
Jess Moore was very raw coming out of high school, so much so, in fact, that Geno decided to red shirt her for her freshman year. I don't believe that has ever been done in the history of UCONN WCBB (non-medical redshirt), so it speaks to how much work Jessica needed. Fortunately, she was not needed as she had Cash, Jones, and Williams ahead of her (which had a lot to do with the decision to redshirt her).

So I would disagree in that IMHO Buck and Moore both started off similarly in college (raw with lots of work needed - in fact, Buck probably had more physical gifts). Moore developed into a starting center at UCONN and had a nice 9 year WNBA career. Buck graduated with a Nursing degree, is by all accounts a great person, but from a hoops perspective, did nothing of note (with the exception of 1 game vs. Baylor where she did a bang up job on Griner).

Hence my question - will Gabriel develop more like Buck or Moore in her 4 years at UCONN?
I see no disagreement. We both saw the final Jessica as pretty good and RAW to start with. Heather had potential that was never fully achieved. To me she had a great game against Griner and a superb final game--running full court for the lay up after getting the rebound.
Jessica was all you say as a new recruit. By her Jr Year she was very useful to Geno and the team. Buck was a Connecticut born and bred kid and as such many are seen as walk on's. Geno way back when stated he wasn't happy (too positive a word) lacking fundamntals with Ct kids in and just out of HS with a rare exception here and there.
Recruiting outside of the top 10 gets to be a crap shoot and when they are difficult to follow, like in Alaska, visibility isn't always there.
Geno or his staff see's something in Gabriel and expects to work with that or why, with the big incoming class, would he accept a burden of teaching.
Stepping off the ledge here---Gabriel shall be better than Moore and way more productive than Buck. This is a wait and see---who knows??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom