Path Forward for UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Path Forward for UConn

Reaction Score
Conspicuously absent on this list:
Duke, BC, Syracuse
UCLA is pretty pathetic. All that history, second most populated city/metro, P5 and their #'s are basically the same as UConn.

Reaction Score
Forget anyone challenging the GOR....

Florida State is acting like they have options. They don't

I think the big question is whether the broadcast partner (source of dinero) wants it to happen. An option appears when ESPN wants it to appear. Bottom line - I think there is a deal that could be made because there is enough dough to make it happen.

In sum, as is true in most commercial settings, the most insurmountable problems can be solved with money. That won't be a problem with an eighteen team SEC, with Texas, OU, FSU and Clemson as teams 15-18.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
Why? How do you perceive them to be different from every other program?
I explained it here
they're a great brand in a massive state, have had success in football while it's been pretty rocky since they joined the ACC they are still a great brand, basketball just made the final four, women's was really good too, like it's not hard to see why
and we were comparing them to NC State and VT, those schools aren't even close to the brand Miami is.

Reaction Score
Still shocked by Pac 12's demise...not even a six Pac left.

The rapidity with which college football is consolidating tells me that the networks are the guys behind the curtain pulling levers.

Reaction Score
We need a conference for our football program. I’ll take any lesser conference that lets us in for football only. We need to win conference championships to elevate our status.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the big question is whether the broadcast partner (source of dinero) wants it to happen. An option appears when ESPN wants it to appear. Bottom line - I think there is a deal that could be made because there is enough dough to make it happen.

In sum, as is true in most commercial settings, the most insurmountable problems can be solved with money. That won't be a problem with an eighteen team SEC, with Texas, OU, FSU and Clemson as teams 15-18.

lol….money for who?

ESPN has Clemson and FSU lock, stock and barrel for $35M a year. They’re not going to devalue an asset like the ACC to add chaff to the SEC and, btw, double and ultimately triple the amount of money they’re paying those schools.

And there’s never been a single sign that the SEC had any interest in either school. The SEC has always said they would not add inside their footprint and there’s zero pressure on them to add anyone.

The SEC is so much better at this than everyone else that it’s embarrassing. The Big Ten is throwing darts at the map while the SEC looks like it was put together by grownups.

So, nope. Outside of the ACC just suddenly deciding to expand and not doing so to invite Cal or Stanford or whatever off the wall scenario develops, we’re at where we are at for the next decade and probably more.

Reaction Score
We need a conference for our football program. I’ll take any lesser conference that lets us in for football only. We need to win conference championships to elevate our status.
Agreed. Honestly until FSU figures out how to break up with the acc we need to go to the aac football only and promise to play some bball with them in nov

Reaction Score
lol….money for who?

ESPN has Clemson and FSU lock, stock and barrel for $35M a year. They’re not going to devalue an asset like the ACC to add chaff to the SEC and, btw, double and ultimately triple the amount of money they’re paying those schools.

And there’s never been a single sign that the SEC had any interest in either school. The SEC has always said they would not add inside their footprint and there’s zero pressure on them to add anyone.

The SEC is so much better at this than everyone else that it’s embarrassing. The Big Ten is throwing darts at the map while the SEC looks like it was put together by grownups.

So, nope. Outside of the ACC just suddenly deciding to expand and not doing so to invite Cal or Stanford or whatever off the wall scenario develops, we’re at where we are at for the next decade and probably more.
The only wildcard is the fate of espn. Does Disney sell it, does amzn or Apple partner w it? There is potential for somewhat of an additional thirst for content that could initiate further movement.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’m ecstatic about this. Didn’t anyone’s parents ever teach them “ be happy with who you are”? I think UConn in BigEast is pretty frickin great . Be grateful for what you are. And we are the most successful program in hoops for last 25 years.( in THREE CONFERENCES!) We are going to make it so for 30 years. And then 35. CR be damned ( you poor bastards). Then we will talk again.

Reaction Score
I always said the Big12 was not a realistic landing spot, though I ultimately did hope I was wrong because we need p5 money.

It’s a shame. If you blew it all up and let the conferences reassemble from scratch we’d be in no question, but while you have all these garbage leech schools clogging up spots we’re always going to be on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
ND ‘s primary income is from donors who want them to be independent
Back in 2020 it was over $100,000,00 a year .
A conference affiliation that affects tha revenue regardless of thrir media deal is a non starter. Who can blame them ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The B1G is much smarter than you think. Unlike the SEC, the B1G can offer content to media partners from noon until 1 a.m.

I’ll bet you a large pizza that FSU and at least 1 other school will leave the ACC by 2030. Keep your eye on the Magnificent 7 plus Louisville.

GG

Reaction Score
The B1G is much smarter than you think. Unlike the SEC, the B1G can offer content to media partners from noon until 1 a.m.

I’ll bet you a large pizza that FSU and at least 1 other school will leave the ACC by 2030. Keep your eye on the Magnificent 7 plus Louisville.
FSU trying to build a war chest and getting creative. That should be interesting. Imagine giving up your meteorites yet still moving to another conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Still shocked by Pac 12's demise...not even a six Pac left.

The rapidity with which college football is consolidating tells me that the networks are the guys behind the curtain pulling levers.

It tells me that Disney is about to try and sell ESPN and it wants ESPN to have a big library when it does it. The downside of this strategy by Disney is that any M&A team that runs sensitivities on ESPN's subscriptions vs. carriage fees is going to see that fixed long-term commitments like some of these college conference TV deals could backfire badly on ESPN.

pj

Reaction Score

To date the networks have had the bargaining power, thus ESPN dictating to the ACC and the Pac12 getting wiped out.

The B1G is gathering together something approaching 50% of the value of college athletics. Soon they will have more bargaining power than the networks.

The SEC is maybe the most valuable and lucrative as long as college football remains the dominant source of revenue, but the B1G is getting into a better position to capture the highest possible percentage of its value, and if basketball revenue gets opened up, the B1G will be the premier conference in revenue as well as prestige.

For UConn, some kind of disruption of the NCAA and capture of the basketball tourney revenue would be a disruption that would catapult UConn into the most desirable group of properties. It just seems like UConn can't capture the full value of its market without a strong football program, and it can't bootstrap football up without major conference revenue and scheduling. UConn thanks to its brand and market would quickly pay for itself in a power conference setting, but it can't prove that until it gets there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For UConn, some kind of disruption of the NCAA and capture of the basketball tourney revenue would be a disruption that would catapult UConn into the most desirable group of properties. It just seems like UConn can't capture the full value of its market without a strong football program, and it can't bootstrap football up without major conference revenue and scheduling. UConn thanks to its brand and market would quickly pay for itself in a power conference setting, but it can't prove that until it gets there.

Why would there be a disruption?

Not to sound callous but sadly I don't see things changing all that much as the way things currently stand is the best situation for those in power.

The NCAA needs to be funded somehow. The one area where the big two have the least amount of revenue concentration is men's basketball. I'm more than confident that the SEC and B1G are happy saying "take a chunk of the money that we only get 25%-30% of the proceeds to fund your operations" when the alternative would be it coming from a source where they see 80%-85% of the proceeds.

In ten years do you think anyone other than the SEC and B1G will have any real voice? This is why I don't believe they will split from the NCAA, they'll just be in full control of it. The tournament will still exist, they'll just supply 50% of the schools that participate every year and ~70%-75% of the single digit seeds. The second tier will be two bid conferences, in a stray year a third can sneak in from one of them, while the rest of D1 will be one bid conferences.

Large conferences have had 2/3 (or more) of their members make the tournament. There is no reason the same won't happen when the B1G and SEC are at 24 schools each. It will reach the point where it becomes the norm, not the exception. This is among the reasons why they won't leave the NCAA. They won't need to.

Reaction Score
West

OSU

WSU

Cal

Stanford

East

UConn

Navy

UMass

Temple (finally moves to A10)
Could swap Temple with Army who is already independent. Or maybe find a way to add Air Force and Army to get to 10. I think that's a really great and convenient football-only conference worthy of a decent media deal. Gives Stanford and Cal the highly regarded conference mates they're looking for. Small conference schedule allows everyone to play the rivalry games they need to in OOC. Media draw is inherent with the Academies and bowls would be definitely interested in tie-ins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do we need the NCAA? At some point that's what the big conferences are going to ask themselves. Why are we paying these guys a billion dollars every single year to organize a basketball tournament in March? Can't we do that ourselves for less?

Reaction Score
Conspicuously absent on this list:
Duke, BC, Syracuse
USA Today’s list excludes all private schools since they don’t have access to their records. Notre Dame is also not there.

edit: I see that little secret was already revealed here. Please to ignore.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
17 and 18 will be Colorado State and Tulsa. You can never have too many schools from the same market!

Reaction Score
Why would there be a disruption?

Not to sound callous but sadly I don't see things changing all that much as the way things currently stand is the best situation for those in power.

The NCAA needs to be funded somehow. The one area where the big two have the least amount of revenue concentration is men's basketball. I'm more than confident that the SEC and B1G are happy saying "take a chunk of the money that we only get 25%-30% of the proceeds to fund your operations" when the alternative would be it coming from a source where they see 80%-85% of the proceeds.

In ten years do you think anyone other than the SEC and B1G will have any real voice? This is why I don't believe they will split from the NCAA, they'll just be in full control of it. The tournament will still exist, they'll just supply 50% of the schools that participate every year and ~70%-75% of the single digit seeds. The second tier will be two bid conferences, in a stray year a third can sneak in from one of them, while the rest of D1 will be one bid conferences.

Large conferences have had 2/3 (or more) of their members make the tournament. There is no reason the same won't happen when the B1G and SEC are at 24 schools each. It will reach the point where it becomes the norm, not the exception. This is among the reasons why they won't leave the NCAA. They won't need to.
No. The NCAA is a member based organization and there's a lot more "Not BIG Not SEC" than there is either of those. In a world where Boston U gets as much votes as Michigan they will not control it. The split is inevitable. Mostly to free up basketball monies from an end of the season tournament.

Reaction Score
All it really assumes is the GOR is unbreakable. The Big XII’s GOR coming due 5 years earlier means instability will hit it first. It’s likely Kansas, TCU, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech are now the most attractive properties available for the next decade plus. If the B10 and SEC don’t bite, the ACC obviously should.

But yes, it only works if the GOR stands.
Didn't the ACC copy the Big 12 GOR? If the Big 12 GOR fails then it's likely the ACC GOR also fails. Then FSU and Clemson are gone to the SEC in a nano second. The SEC would accept them in a heartbeat and they would accept in half a heartbeat... Then you would have an 18 team conference with the far and away best football located solely in the SE and only in two time zones.

They would own the 3:30 and 7:30 TV slots every Saturday (and Thursday night if they wanted it). An 18 team SEC could have 6 of 12 CFP spots, maybe more.

Then, what?

Reaction Score
Didn't the ACC copy the Big 12 GOR? If the Big 12 GOR fails then it's likely the ACC GOR also fails. Then FSU and Clemson are gone to the SEC in a nano second. The SEC would accept them in a heartbeat and they would accept in half a heartbeat... Then you would have an 18 team conference with the far and away best football located solely in the SE and only in two time zones.

They would own the 3:30 and 7:30 TV slots every Saturday (and Thursday night if they wanted it). An 18 team SEC could have 6 of 12 CFP spots, maybe more.

Then, what?
Big XII’s GOR expires 5 years before the ACC’s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why do we need the NCAA? At some point that's what the big conferences are going to ask themselves. Why are we paying these guys a billion dollars every single year to organize a basketball tournament in March? Can't we do that ourselves for less?
Well, they do more than that including organizing tournaments for non-revenue sports. I'm not saying that it isn't something that P2 could not do for themselves, but it's more than just March madness. For what it's worth it also includes DII in DIII sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom