Paterno thinks he has the right | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paterno thinks he has the right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what? If you are telling me that the "Has Joe Pa lost it" talk wasn't getting louder around that time you are rewriting history.

That occurred after 2002-2004 when they had horrible years of losing.

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree he should be fired. But in the end, 20 years down the road, Paterno will be remembered for being a football coach and not because of this scandal. Yeah, he absolutely was negligent in reporting the crimes. But in some respects hindsight is 20/20. We've all had those moments, definitely not to the severity of this degree, but it is unfair to judge someone's entire career over one moment of hindsight. If we were all held to those standards, we'd all be disgraced in some manner or fashion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I somewhat agree he should be fired. But in the end, 20 years down the road, Paterno will be remembered for being a football coach and not because of this scandal. Yeah, he absolutely was negligent in reporting the crimes. But in some respects hindsight is 20/20. We've all had those moments, definitely not to the severity of this degree, but it is unfair to judge someone's entire career over one moment of hindsight. If we were all held to those standards, we'd all be disgraced in some manner or fashion.

Problem is, it's not just a singular moment of hindsight that he could've changed.

He could've said something any day the past 10 years.

Reaction Score
Problem is, it's not just a singular moment of hindsight that he could've changed.

And again, when you're 80...I'll ask you the same question. While it won't be the same level of severity, we will all have those things. No one is perfect.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And again, when you're 80...I'll ask you the same question. While it won't be the same level of severity, we will all have those things. No one is perfect.

No, I'm pretty sure I would never be OK with the ass rape of young boys like Joe Pa was.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me??

You are as delusional as those rioting idiots.

We've all had those moments, definitely not to the severity of this degree

What freaking neighborhood do you live in?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That occurred after 2002-2004 when they had horrible years of losing.

I find this article more believable than your futile support of a man who didn't just look the other way, but acted to bury the problem.

Reaction Score
I find this article more believable than your futile support of a man who didn't just look the other way, but acted to bury the problem.

So you're twisting things purposely. No surprise coming from you. Anyone with the abiity to read my posts knows I don't support Paterno on this.

Reaction Score

LOL, you find this more believable, eh?

In the winter of 2002, Joe Paterno’s 36-year tenure as Penn State’s head football coach (he had been a member of the coaching staff since 1950) was in potentially serious trouble. A series of embarrassing incidents were beginning to draw Paterno’s reputation as a man who ran an unusually disciplined and “character-building” program into question. In 1997, Paterno suspended his two biggest offensive stars, Curtis Enis and Joe Jurevicius, for relatively minor infractions. In 1998 he defended LaVar Arrington, his all-American linebacker, after he brutally assaulted a defenseless Pittsburgh punter in the middle of a game. Then in 2000 he allowed his quarterback Rashard Casey to start every game despite being charged with assaulting (this time off the field) a cop. (Update: A grand jury subsequently declined to bring charges against Casey, although his companion that evening ended up pleading guilty to the same charge brought against Casey. Casey later sued the police department and received an undisclosed cash settlement).

I don't know who Paul Campos is but he's a twit.

What were Enis and Jurevicius suspended for? Do you even know?

Brutally assaulted a punter? Are you serious.

Rashard Casey sued not only the police department but the cop. And won.

This is pathetic.

Reaction Score
^
Just be careful in defending Casey. I lived in Hoboken at the time and many a story of how the powers that be in Hoboken went out of their way to protect him regardless of visual accounts of Casey kicking the cop while is buddy pummeled him. But that is how Hoboken operate(s)d.

Reaction Score
and funny story from the time of Casey.

Was at the PSU / USC at the Meadowlands in the Kick Off Classic and when the PSU faithful would start the "We Are" chant, the USC and neutral fans in the crowd would respond with "State Pen".

Reaction Score
^
Just be careful in defending Casey. I lived in Hoboken at the time and many a story of how the powers that be in Hoboken went out of their way to protect him regardless of visual accounts of Casey kicking the cop while is buddy pummeled him. But that is how Hoboken operate(s)d.

You realize how the story turned out?

The cop assaulted Casey and his buddy did kick the cop after knocking him down. Casey was not even indicted by the grand jury. The prosecutor came out and said Casey was innocent.

And, far from protecting Casey, the police withheld evidence and were caught concocting a story. This is why Casey sued them in court and won.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So you're twisting things purposely. No surprise coming from you. Anyone with the abiity to read my posts knows I don't support Paterno on this.

Look, I know what it's like to have folks twist your posts and reinterpret them to fit their own point of view. I don't do it purposely. But you have been so prolific on this topic I've lost your POV. My general impression is that you are sticking up for something PSU.

Reaction Score
in one of his first posts on this, upstater said Joe Paterno should immediately resign, or words to that effect. And he has been consistent on that.

Reaction Score
Look, I know what it's like to have folks twist your posts and reinterpret them to fit their own point of view. I don't do it purposely. But you have been so prolific on this topic I've lost your POV. My general impression is that you are sticking up for something PSU.

Nope. I've been saying Paterno should have resigned.

Reaction Score
You realize how the story turned out?

The cop assaulted Casey and his buddy did kick the cop after knocking him down. Casey was not even indicted by the grand jury. The prosecutor came out and said Casey was innocent.

And, far from protecting Casey, the police withheld evidence and were caught concocting a story. This is why Casey sued them in court and won.
Yes I know how the story turned out. It was all consuming.
I am just saying that implied influence and connections by some who thought they were going to hitch a wagon to a future millionnaire made it just another typical shady story in Hoboken. I had 3 mayors indicted in the 12 years that I lived there so don't ever take an outcome at face value.Throw in the background of the cop, drugs, scorned girlfriends, history between the participants and it could have made for a mini-series.

Reaction Score

Good point. I sorta feel bad for Joe. He didn't rape anybody but as the top guy he had a responsibility to follow up on very serious charges. Age? Memory? Pressures of the sport/business? Does it really matter? Those kids paid a terrible price and he had to go. Makes me crazy that football "fans" forget to be people first when evaluating these situations. I love football and PSU was always a favorite growing up, but the university allowed it's football program and prestige to be used for something sinister and may have covered it up for many years. If so it screams death penalty, but I hope not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope. I've been saying Paterno should have resigned.

Now that's how to do the twist, perfesser. I say PSU and you change it to Paterno. You've been saying that JoePa should resign yet you also said "Not addressing Sandusky in 2002 is a smart move". Uncle!

Reaction Score

All I remember about Woody Hayes is him punching that kid from Clemson and the Saturday Live skit of him (Belushi) losing in checkers to his wife.

Reaction Score
All I remember about Woody Hayes is him punching that kid from Clemson and the Saturday Live skit of him (Belushi) losing in checkers to his wife.
They had some great sports skits back in the day. Remember "The Black Shadow" when Bill Russell hosted? Hilarious.

Reaction Score
Now that's how to do the twist, perfesser. I say PSU and you change it to Paterno. You've been saying that JoePa should resign yet you also said "Not addressing Sandusky in 2002 is a smart move". Uncle!

What? I said Paterno not speaking to Sandusky is the right move. Never said PSU not addressing Sandusky in 2002 is a smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom