Passed Duke... Hard to Believe | The Boneyard

Passed Duke... Hard to Believe

Reaction Score
I was 13 when they beat us in 90. That loss and the press K received fueled my hatred for years. In my mind our guy deserved that press. After JC beat them twice on the biggest stage my hatred subsided. The debate was settled. Our guy won.

Hard to believe we just passed them in championships. Im not sure what to think. I dont have the words. Feels like my journey as a UCONN fan and alum has come full circle in some way. But im not sure if those are the right words either. I spent so much time hating them.... envious of them... something like that... and here we are. We are them?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
A fan since 1960, a student from 1965-1970, a season ticket holder from 1972-1990, I am unbelievable proud of what UConn had done in the years since 1960! Thank you coach Calhoun and Hurley!

Reaction Score
I think UConn is quite the opposite of them (Duke). They are a private school with unlimited resources in a basketball hotbed in the South. UConn is a public school trying to make financial ends meet buried in the middle of nowhere in the Northeast. Hurley would be making $10M+ if he were coaching at Duke right now coming off consecutive nattys. And while there may have been other reasons Cooper Flagg chose Duke, I'm sure he got way more NIL going there than he would have from UConn. I think the only similarities the two universities have is basketball success but their respective journeys of obtaining the success are way different.

Reaction Score
We aren’t “them”. We don’t have the top recruits or the constant ESPN/media love. Recruit ranking for UConn (Clingan 71, Karaban 118, Newton NR, Spencer NR,). Castle at 9 was an outlier. We will experience the media in full force next year with the Flagg coverage and then the next year Cameron Boozer. It has already started. When you go to ESPN right now the headline photo is Cooper Flagg. That is where my "hate" comes from.....the absolute over glorification Duke. As I have said before, all of the college basketball world should love UConn for preventing Coach K (1999 and 2004) and Calipari (2011 and 2014) from winning championships. Regardless of the number of championships, UConn will always be viewed as the underdog. The underdog role is a position Hurley enjoys.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom