Parents, Diamond, Stewie And More | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Parents, Diamond, Stewie And More

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A poster requested information about EDD that prompted the response from Rocky & me. I disagree that UCONN did not miss a beat because Maya desperately needed a side kick in her last game in a UCONN uniform.

Yup, that's why we came along. Now, why did iamcbs come along?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Yup, that's why we came along. Now, why did iamcbs come along?
Because it's a Message Board is it not? I didn't realize it was a private forum for select people.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
A poster requested information about EDD that prompted the response from Rocky & me. I disagree that UCONN did not miss a beat because Maya desperately needed a side kick in her last game in a UCONN uniform.
The other team has players on scholarship as well, the Huskies played as well as they could have in the 2011 FF, ND was better on that day.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The other team has players on scholarship as well, the Huskies played as well as they could have in the 2011 FF, ND was better on that day.
Yes the quality of the players on scholarship determined the outcome of the game-it always does. So we are talking about a player that was at one time on scholarship and could have played in the game and changed the out come. EDD is no random scholarship player, stop it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Because it's a Message Board is it not? I didn't realize it was a private forum for select people.

Coco correctly pointed out that we were responding to a factual inquiry, not reliving the angst of the EDD departure, as you suggested. I was pointing out that you interjected yourself into a subject which you contended should have been over years ago. Now we have both exercised our Message Board rights!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco correctly pointed out that we were responding to a factual inquiry, not reliving the angst of the EDD departure, as you suggested. I was pointing out that you interjected yourself into a subject which you contended should have been over years ago. Now we have both exercised our Message Board rights!
And our ignore feature rights might be next.

Reaction Score
If EDD stayed Uconn would be playing in a record 9 FF(which they are) and playing for a record of 8 consecutive National Championships.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, thank you. Forgot Linae Harper. Geno used to say that he intentionally didn't use all of his scholarships, because he knew he couldn't keep that many kids happy with playing time limited. I don't know how State will do it.

Ohio State is a fascinating case study. Along with UCLA, probably the two most improved teams over last year.

This year Mitchell and Alston are averaging 35 min per game. After that, McGuff has 4 players (Hart, Cooper, Doss, Craft) averaging 25 to 28 minutes, plus two more in the 12- to 15-minute range. OSU did lose one player early in the season: freshman Kaylan Pugh, a top-100 recruit from the Memphis area, who is now at Georgia Tech. I have no idea whether she left because of limited minutes.

Alston and Craft are the only seniors. Will there be enough room in the rotation for Mavunga, Harper, and Calhoun? In the frontcourt, I'd imagine that only 2 of the 3 "bigs" (Hart, Cooper and Mavunga) can start, but each can still average 25-30 minutes per game while keeping two of them on the floor.

That leaves 3 guard spots to be covered primarily by at least 4 players: Mitchell, Doss, Harper, and Calhoun. Doss is currently a starter and a reliable ball-handler (2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio), but probably not the scoring threat that Harper and Calhoun are (and none of them can touch Kelsey Mitchell, of course).

Of course, none of this takes into account the 3 elite recruits McGuff has coming in next year, plus Kianna Holland, who is out for the season with a knee injury.

It will be fascinating to see whether McGuff can manage this truly impressive ensemble of talent next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ohio State is a fascinating case study. Along with UCLA, probably the two most improved teams over last year.

This year Mitchell and Alston are averaging 35 min per game. After that, McGuff has 4 players (Hart, Cooper, Doss, Craft) averaging 25 to 28 minutes, plus two more in the 12- to 15-minute range. OSU did lose one player early in the season: freshman Kaylan Pugh, a top-100 recruit from the Memphis area, who is now at Georgia Tech. I have no idea whether she left because of limited minutes.

Alston and Craft are the only seniors. Will there be enough room in the rotation for Mavunga, Harper, and Calhoun? In the frontcourt, I'd imagine that only 2 of the 3 "bigs" (Hart, Cooper and Mavunga) can start, but each can still average 25-30 minutes per game while keeping two of them on the floor.

That leaves 3 guard spots to be covered primarily by at least 4 players: Mitchell, Doss, Harper, and Calhoun. Doss is currently a starter and a reliable ball-handler (2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio), but probably not the scoring threat that Harper and Calhoun are (and none of them can touch Kelsey Mitchell, of course).

Of course, none of this takes into account the 3 elite recruits McGuff has coming in next year, plus Kianna Holland, who is out for the season with a knee injury.

It will be fascinating to see whether McGuff can manage this truly impressive ensemble of talent next year.
Harper is not eligible to play until 2nd Semester ~ December next year.

Reaction Score

So can it work? I have to believe that it will result in a train wreck early into the season. Either people leave, or people sit on the bench and stew. UConn does get good talent, but still keeps the roster small. Breanna Banks left for Penn State when she realized she wouldn't get into the regular rotation. Sadie Edwards took off- fast- for USC. Both are starting for their respective teams. So how in the world does Ohio State make it work? How does Tori McCoy fit in with all those bigs either there or becoming eligible? Does she bail early on to get into a more rational situation? If they all stay, and the coach keeps them reasonably happy, Ohio State contends for a national championship next year- without doubt. But those are really big if's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So can it work?

It can work because each addition to the team knew he situation concerning playing time and still committed. If playing time were an issue players would/could have gone elsewhere. Mavunga or McCoy could have averaged 35 minutes per game at TN for example and McCoy or Mavunga could easily be a UCONN starter if Morgan departs.

Will it work?

OSU success or lack of it will dependent on a commitment to the defensive side of the basketball. Unfortunately all of the incoming transfers love their shot. Mavunga in her time at NC jacked up a lot ill-advised shots and although she is a very capable low post defender her motivation to play defense was directly proportional to her shot attempts. Calhoun also likes her shot unfortunately she was not accurate enough to make an impact and she is at best an average perimeter defender.

How it might work?

Starters

PG: Mitchell

SG: Calhoun

SF: Cooper

PF: McCoy

C: Mavunga

Rotation players

PG: Doss, Lewis

SG: Holland, Harper

SF: Caretti, Waterman

PF: Hart

C: Blair

Enjoy your scholarship players

C. Mitchell

Ekhlear

Sacrificial Lamb because OSU needs to shed a scholarship.

Beach

OSU will be a formidable team next year probably the deepest team in the country.[/QUOTE]

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So can it work? I have to believe that it will result in a train wreck early into the season. Either people leave, or people sit on the bench and stew. UConn does get good talent, but still keeps the roster small. Breanna Banks left for Penn State when she realized she wouldn't get into the regular rotation. Sadie Edwards took off- fast- for USC. Both are starting for their respective teams. So how in the world does Ohio State make it work? How does Tori McCoy fit in with all those bigs either there or becoming eligible? Does she bail early on to get into a more rational situation? If they all stay, and the coach keeps them reasonably happy, Ohio State contends for a national championship next year- without doubt. But those are really big if's.

When I envision a starting 5 of Kelsey Mitchell, Linnae Harper, Sierra Calhoun, Stephanie Mavunga and Alexa Hart. I like Ohio State's odds against any team in the country next year.

Reaction Score
When I envision a starting 5 of Kelsey Mitchell, Linnae Harper, Sierra Calhoun, Stephanie Mavunga and Alexa Hart. I like Ohio State's odds against any team in the country next year.
With that many shooters, you won't have enough basketballs.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Sierra Calhoun shot 31.4% FG and 29.0% 3FG in her time at Duke. Harper shot 38.7% FG and 23.9% 3FG last year at Kentucky. If they shoot like that for Ohio State, there are many teams that will be ahead of Ohio State in the national pecking order.

Calhoun was only a Duke for a short time and it's not uncommon for freshman to struggle with shooting efficiency early on. Nonetheless, she's totally unproven at the college level. Harper has a negative assist/turnover ratio, is a poor shooter, and is a poor free throw shooter. Her steal and rebound numbers are great but I'm not sold on her overall game. I want my guards to be able to pass and shoot and she does neither very well.

Mavunga is a good player but a step below the very best and is also not very efficient offensively.

I think Ohio State will be very good again next year but I'm definitely not sold as those three new players in particular taking Ohio State to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom