Paige vs Pistol Pete | The Boneyard

Paige vs Pistol Pete

Reaction Score
Watched the Paige highlights in the DePaul game. She reminds me of Pistol Pete. Pete was a scoring machine but he was an amazing passer. I was privileged to see Pete play in a LSU MSST game. He scored over 50 points but what I remember most were those incredible passes he made. Watching the Paige highlights she scored a lot of points but what impressed me were those passes. To me she is Pistol Paige!

Reaction Score
I love the PB Pistol Pete analogy!
Both thin, long, and deceptively strong. Both somewhat tall for their position. Pete was 6'5", obviously having no trouble getting his shot off. PB same.
I notice the long strides they both take with the ball in their hands. Shows a wonderful handle, but also court vision that enables them to do so much on the floor in full stride.
I think it is fascinating watching PB learn her role on the team. An 18 year old (?) visibly working to find that perfect balance between scoring and playmaking. Pistol didn't have to do that in college. To me, it's similar to Larry Bird, in that he could have shot every possession and averaged 35 a game, but he was able to find that balance.
I do not know Pistol's pro career so well. He wasn't on National TV so much. Was he ever an "All-Pro" playmaker? I know he was burdened with knee injuries.

Reaction Score
Both thin, long, and deceptively strong. Both somewhat tall for their position. Pete was 6'5", obviously having no trouble getting his shot off. PB same.
I notice the long strides they both take with the ball in their hands. Shows a wonderful handle, but also court vision that enables them to do so much on the floor in full stride.
I think it is fascinating watching PB learn her role on the team. An 18 year old (?) visibly working to find that perfect balance between scoring and playmaking. Pistol didn't have to do that in college. To me, it's similar to Larry Bird, in that he could have shot every possession and averaged 35 a game, but he was able to find that balance.
I do not know Pistol's pro career so well. He wasn't on National TV so much. Was he ever an "All-Pro" playmaker? I know he was burdened with knee injuries.
I really do not know much about NBA BB. Pro ball has never been exciting to me and I seldom watch either the NBA or WNBA. I never lived in an area where Pro BB was readily available, never developed any team loyalty so just did not watch. So for Pete’s Pro career I am not a good source.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maravich took way too many shots to make a comparison to Paige valid regardless of his passing skills.
And even then, Maravich passes were designed to keep the spot light on him.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
We did this back in December

Reaction Score
Maravich took way too many shots to make a comparison to Paige valid regardless of his passing skills.
Pros? or College? College he averaged 46 pts a game his senior year. Obviously he shot more than PB, he shot more than anybody. Do you remember him in the Pros?

Reaction Score
And even then, Maravich passes were designed to keep the spot light on him.
You have to put it in its era. During the 50's and 60's the game was b o r i n g. No 3 point shout, no shot clock. Many teams were adopting a game style of possession vs shooting (Princeton's four corner). And then along came Pistol, Calvin Murphy and Doctor J. The game was invigorated and reborn.

I love watching women's college basketball. Not so much men's college basketball. I haven't watched NBA basketball in decades.

You want to see fun team basketball, watch Perfumerias Avenida. Those women are playing UConn style basketball from the Stewie era.... and they are having FUN. Watch em sometime, the fun is contagious.

Reaction Score
Skills maybe but never sacrificed or tried to make his team better, Flash and more Flash but forget team building.
How do you know? Did you see Pete play? Obviously he was an incredible passer, which suggests he did care about his teammates. Like Paige, if you're the best player, you should take the most shots.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Skills maybe but never sacrificed or tried to make his team better, Flash and more Flash but forget team building.
Was a great passer, if hitting teammates with great passes isn't team building what is. Played most of pro career with crummy teams.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Pros? or College? College he averaged 46 pts a game his senior year. Obviously he shot more than PB, he shot more than anybody. Do you remember him in the Pros?
No 3 PT at that time. He like many top draft picks got drafted by a crummy team. Never got to a good team, Celtics, until injuries had slowed him. Part of his last year 1980.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No 3 PT at that time. He like many top draft picks got drafted by a crummy team. Never got to a good team, Celtics, until injuries had slowed him.
I saw him in Washington when he was with the Celtics. A mere shell of what he was. Similar to Bill Walton in Boston.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Watched the Paige highlights in the DePaul game. She reminds me of Pistol Pete. Pete was a scoring machine but he was an amazing passer. I was privileged to see Pete play in a LSU MSST game. He scored over 50 points but what I remember most were those incredible passes he made. Watching the Paige highlights she scored a lot of points but what impressed me were those passes. To me she is Pistol Paige!
Maravich saw the entire floor, and could see plays developing BEFORE they happened. The thing about Pete and Paige is that they were/are not afraid to pull the trigger on a difficult pass, like the one Paige threw to a cutting Westbrook to start the DePaul game. A thing of beauty, and it got UConn on the board right away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the Larry Bird comparison---great vision, passing, and shooting

Reaction Score

Maravich victimized five different Knicks guards: Walt Frazier; Butch Beard; Earl Monroe; Dean Meminger; and Tickey Burden. Frazier was known as one of the best defenders in the NBA but Maravich averaged 35 points a game in his three previous matchups with Frazier. “We tried everything humanly possible to stop him,” Knicks coach Red Holtzman told The Times-Picayune that night. “We double-teamed him, we tried to have guys help out. We tried trapping him. He was just so darned hot, we couldn’t handle him.”

Maravich made 26 of 43 field goals and 16 of 18 free throws en route to his record-setting night. And this was before the 3-point shot had been instituted. At the time, it was the seventh highest scoring output in NBA history. It set the benchmark for the most points ever scored by a guard, eclipsing Jerry West's mark of 63 in 1962. The mark still ranks fourth among guards all-time and 12th overall in NBA history.
Bob McAdoo, the Knicks starting center and a three-time NBA scoring champion, said, “He was shooting from everywhere: every corner of the court, fast breaks, set plays. The man beat us by himself."
Knicks guard Earl Monroe: “There was no way we could stop him. The Pistol was hot tonight, he was really going off. The thing that came to mind was that he was hitting shots from everywhere. Unconscionable shots”

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

Maravich victimized five different Knicks guards: Walt Frazier; Butch Beard; Earl Monroe; Dean Meminger; and Tickey Burden. Frazier was known as one of the best defenders in the NBA but Maravich averaged 35 points a game in his three previous matchups with Frazier. “We tried everything humanly possible to stop him,” Knicks coach Red Holtzman told The Times-Picayune that night. “We double-teamed him, we tried to have guys help out. We tried trapping him. He was just so darned hot, we couldn’t handle him.”

Maravich made 26 of 43 field goals and 16 of 18 free throws en route to his record-setting night. And this was before the 3-point shot had been instituted. At the time, it was the seventh highest scoring output in NBA history. It set the benchmark for the most points ever scored by a guard, eclipsing Jerry West's mark of 63 in 1962. The mark still ranks fourth among guards all-time and 12th overall in NBA history.
Bob McAdoo, the Knicks starting center and a three-time NBA scoring champion, said, “He was shooting from everywhere: every corner of the court, fast breaks, set plays. The man beat us by himself."
Knicks guard Earl Monroe: “There was no way we could stop him. The Pistol was hot tonight, he was really going off. The thing that came to mind was that he was hitting shots from everywhere. Unconscionable shots”
Watched that game on TV, he was unbelievable. At the time the Knicks had the distinction of being the team that that highest scoring games by the 3 positions guard, forward and center had been scored against them.

Reaction Score
An LSU coach went back and watched all Pete's college games and figured out that if there was a 3 pt line, Pete would have avg'd 53 pts a game. He was easily one of the top 5 shooters of all time. ( Jerry West, IMO was the best.)
Paige is way more controlled and gets more excited for her team mates. For her team mates there is no one else they would rather play with.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There was no 3 point line for Maravich. Someone went back and estimated Maravich would have averaged an additional 13 points per game with a 3 point line. Similar situation for our own Wes Bialusuknia.

Reaction Score
Pete was way ahead of his time in his style of play in respect to the NBA. That and the money and publicity he generated as a rookie created resentment among his teammates so that they often froze him out of the offense.

What is often forgotten is that Pete played his entire career with a congenital heart defect. He was missing his right coronary artery that supplys blood to the heart. His skin always looked a bit gray and he was dark around the eyed. In retrospect it is understandable since he had one artery attempting to do the work of two. It was surprising that he could even play basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom