Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if she was held out for the year. As stated by the Reno Orthopedic Center, "By 6 weeks, patients are extremely comfortable. They cannot be released to full activities such as manual labor, skiing and motocross until about 4 months. Aggressive return to activity too early can result in re-fracture, hardware breakage or nonunion". One reason for this is it is rare to only just break the bone. This is an injury that can involve the bone, meniscus, ligaments, muscles, tendons and skin around the knee. All of that needs time to heal as well. However the outcome, this is all a tough challenge for Paige as well as the team.
100% agree with you JordyG. Geno and the Team needs to shut her down for the remainder of the season, and allow her body to heal. (this may not be what Paige and the UCONN Fans want, but it might be (in my personal opinion) the best thing to do for her long term well being.

Reaction Score
The release gave us a pretty clear timeline of what they think the recovery time will be. Sure they can always add more time to make sure she recovers but I don’t understand why people are now giving their own timelines. How are people doubling it into she’s out for four months or the year? Did you guys get information we didn’t? Did you see the X-ray?
Let’s give her that time, trust the staff and wait until they make further decisions.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The release gave us a pretty clear timeline of what they think the recovery time will be. Sure they can always add more time to make sure she recovers but I don’t understand why people are now giving their own timelines. How are people doubling it into she’s out for four months or the year? Did you guys get information we didn’t? Did you see the X-ray?
Let’s give her that time, trust the staff and wait until they make further decisions.
Um, because this is the BY. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm here.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if she was held out for the year. As stated by the Reno Orthopedic Center, "By 6 weeks, patients are extremely comfortable. They cannot be released to full activities such as manual labor, skiing and motocross until about 4 months. Aggressive return to activity too early can result in re-fracture, hardware breakage or nonunion". One reason for this is it is rare to only just break the bone. This is an injury that can involve the bone, meniscus, ligaments, muscles, tendons and skin around the knee. All of that needs time to heal as well. However the outcome, this is all a tough challenge for Paige as well as the team.
careful Jordy, some will bring up the "you not a doctor" line.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And yet not one person here on the BY knows if this is applicable. Can you supply statistics on this rarity?

Reaction Score
Kids do heal a whole quicker than us old people and she has access to the best doctors and facilities. I would think that the biggest problem for those concerned is to make sure she doesn't overdue rehab and try to return too soon.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bone fuses back together good as new in about 8 weeks. Hard to believe there wouldn’t be a rehab period after that though
Yes, bone fuses fairly quickly. But 99% of cases present soft tissue injuries, with most incurring both ACL and menicus injuries. To me the diagnosis of 6-8 weeks rules out ACL tears, but not meniscus injuries. These take further time to heal. Read the medical articles about recovery time for these type of injuries. Frankly I hope I get to swallow every one of my downer words, but I'm not as optimistic as many.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And yet not one person here on the BY knows if this is applicable. Can you supply statistics on this rarity?
Well, because it's fairly rare doesn't mean there aren't quite a number of significant studies applied to this injury. Read them.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Great minds etc. I had a close friend who jumped with excitement in a similar way, and tore his Achilles tendon!

I think it's safe to assume that this injury did not occur with 38 seconds to go in the game.

Agree or disagree?
Hard to say. Her left foot slipped twice during the incident. So it could have been the simple awkwardness of it all. On the other hand, maybe her legs were tired enough that she was unable to respond quickly enough. Maybe someday she'll share her thoughts.

Regarding celebrating: You've reminded me of that NFL placekicker years ago who damaged his knee by jumping up and down celebrating. Stuff happens, I guess.

Reaction Score
Thoughts and prayers to Paige, take care of yourself, don't rush it just comeback healthy and stronger than ever when the time is right

Reaction Score
I was watching the replay of the game again last night. After her 3/4 court bomb to CW right before the half, she jumped way up in celebration and came down on her left leg first. She didn't exactly wince, but if seemed as though her next step was very slightly gingerly. If there was indeed a precedent injury, I would first look there for a culprit.
After you pointed this out, I also went back and looked at this (4:17 left?). She was going off screen but it definitely did appear that something happened there

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Darn, I didn't know we had so many medical people here on the Boneyard. I believe that when the medical practitioners that are in charge of Paige's treatments will suffice without the assistance of those here on the BY and will decide when Paige is able to play again. Then it will be Paige, her family, and the UConn staff who will decide if she will play this season or sit out. Not one person here on the BY will be in on that process. Our thoughts and prayers to Paige and her family.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Information on top female athletes who have experienced tibial plateau fractures is almost nonexistent. There’s more on male athletes, specifically NBA athletes. Yao Ming & Lorenzen Wright were both back on the court in approximately 2 months. For Jayson Williams it was career ending, but the tibial injury was also accompanied by a meniscus tear that required surgery.

Kobe Bryant’s injury had previously been mentioned. It occurred in December of 2013, Bryant’s 18th year in the NBA. Bryant’s rehab took longer. 12 weeks in he was still not ready. In the meantime the Lakers had tanked and had the worst record in the Western Conference. It was decided to shut Bryant down, presumably for his health, but the prospect of getting a top draft pick likely weighed into the decision. Bryant played another 2 seasons before retiring.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
After you pointed this out, I also went back and looked at this (4:17 left?). She was going off screen but it definitely did appear that something happened there
The incident I'm talking about happened just a few seconds before the end of the half. After she saw CW had caught her long bomb, Paige jumped way up into the air. The ball hadn't gone through the net yet.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
All the best to Buckets on a speedy and healthy recovery!

Am wondering, perhaps, if 1-27-22 might be circled on her calendar. ;)

Reaction Score
This from 'Inside Injuries' via The Athletic. So no, no surgery, and yes it's fair to expect her back in 6-8 weeks. Note the explanation of bruise v. fracture assumption.....some might say 'read between the lines'.

Is 6-8 weeks an accurate timeline?​

Virginia Zakas, Inside Injuries: A few common outcomes from Bueckers' suffering a non-contact knee injury include a bone bruise and ligament damage (worst case is a torn ACL).

An MRI showed that Bueckers avoided significant ligament damage, but she has been diagnosed with a tibial plateau fracture. Based on her expected 6-8 week recovery time, I believe this is essentially a severe bone bruise that leads to a small fracture at the surface of the tibia, the larger of the two lower leg bones. A true tibial plateau fracture would come with a 3-6 month recovery time.

Even though this is likely more of a bone bruise than a true tibial plateau fracture, it's very important to allow the bone to fully heal before returning to the court. Because of this, I expect Buecker to be out around two months with a good chance to return late in the season.

Reaction Score
Paige got hit in the knee area badly earlier in the game and you could see the unatural movement. I think that's when it happened. It could be in part accumulated micro injuries. I only bring it up so that someone on their medical staff can look at the tape and see where it happened. I didn't write down the point on the tape but it shouldn't be hard to find it.

Reaction Score
If you read the Internet definitions there are all kind of ifs. But thse definitions are general and not specific to Paige's actual injury. This is probably not the last word. The doctors will learn more as she recovers.

I'm thinking what this says is xrays confirm a non-displaced fracture and the MRI reveals no significant soft tissue damage. But I hope Paige and her family get a second opinion.

Reaction Score
Food for thought. (I am not comparing these two players skill set so no comments on that please) Kyla Irwin was a 7-8 option for her first three years at UConn. She was a consummate game watcher from the bench. If you watch game replays she would go to a player coming off the court for a TV or opponents time out and tell her what she saw about the person that player was defending, or was being defended against. Watch the next few minutes of tape and said player used that knowledge in some way. When she did become a starter in her 4th year, she had a much better feeling for the game. Silver lining being Paige can offer that same insight Kyla offered. She can see how things develop, good or bad, on the court, and learn. Face it, through high school, AAU, and so far in college Paige has not been able to be Kyla at all as she was always on the court. This could be the biggest growth period for her and her game we've ever seen. Just my 2c there.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Amen to Cajun's suggestion for a second opinion for Paige and the family...and for the UConn team.
January 27 is mentioned above...hmm...UConn plays at South Carolina on that day....yikes!
BTW: While I am not a huge fan of Dawn Staley her quote about Paige's injury was a classy one...Perceptions of Paige's worth to our game is not shared exclusively by UConn fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom