eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here we go.

1616086141644.png

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What I don't understand about having Boston considered in these top awards is the fact that she was not even voted the top player in the SEC by the SEC voters. Seems like a slap in the face to Howard and the SEC.

Caveat: I am not in favor of either SEC player winning any top player award.

Reaction Score
Make your case for Boston, I need to be convinced, if she is Naismith I am living in an alternate universe.
What I don't understand about having Boston considered in these top awards is the fact that she was not even voted the top player in the SEC by the SEC voters. Seems like a slap in the face to Howard and the SEC.

Caveat: I am not in favor of either SEC player winning any top player award.
I’m with you guys. I just don’t see it this year. And that’s not to take away the kid is a phenomenal player, but nowhere near close to the other 3 and what they’ve done for their teams. (PB/Evans)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Alexa making the case and getting Analyst opinions on Paige's chances

Be warned, Debbie is complementary but stalled before saying she would vote for her . Monica McNutt seems to be a stronger convert.

“[Bueckers] knows the actions of the Princeton [offense] and can read them so well,” Antonelli said. “She can make every shot. She gets herself open because she can work without the ball, and she knows how to read the screening action. She has a high intellect when it comes to reading the defense, reading the second level before she even catches it.”

“Paige’s case as a freshman to be player of the year is incredible,” said McNutt. “You came in with all this hype, in an unusual year and are arguably the biggest piece to your team’s success. And you’re a freshman. Like, come on now. You put all these factors together, and she’s rolled with the punches and won every award and held her own.”

Reaction Score
I’m with you guys. I just don’t see it this year. And that’s not to take away the kid is a phenomenal player, but nowhere near close to the other 3 and what they’ve done for their teams. (PB/Evans)
With you on Boston but I also feel like it is totally unfair that Clark isn’t on this list of finalists and also. Cunane. When they put someone on the finalists list that is manifestly less qualified than another (or perhaps more than one in this case) it hurts not only the institution’s credibility but also the player/s who produced better results than the player that took that spot. I don’t think there is any question that Clark and Cunane had better seasons than Boston. There are others that had better seasons imo but those are the two main ones. It is a shame when politics or preferential treatment enters into a contest that is supposedly based on merit.

Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard would be the player from the lowest ranked team to ever win it, and what has she done that’s so special to break the mold?

Boston finished second in the SEC POY vote and lost the big games to UConn and T&M.

That leaves Paige and Evans, which is kind of the way it has looked for a while. The senior who had the lesser year with no big wins vs. the freshman with a better year and a huge win (but who plays in a lesser conference).

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard would be the player from the lowest ranked team to ever win it, and what has she done that’s so special to break the mold?

Boston finished second in the SEC POY vote and lost the big games to UConn and T&M.

That leaves Paige and Evans, which is kind of the way it has looked for a while. The senior who had the lesser year with no big wins vs. the freshman with a better year and a huge win (but who plays in a lesser conference).
seems obvious how it should be

but in this world, sadly, the obvious doesn't always prevail

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Both Dana Evans and Rhyne Howard have less talent around them and play in Power 5 conferences, which makes it even more difficult to do what they do. With all the ranked SEC teams, Howard gets very few easy games against over matched opponents.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sometimes Howard does not give her all. Even VolNation agrees with that.

Reaction Score
Voting has already closed.

There's an award for (usually) the best player on the NC team: Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four. I imagine Paige would like to win that more than the Naismith.
And...I suspect Paige, being a Freshman and new to NCAA WBB, is surprised by the 1st Team AA status and the NPOY discussions. I am confident the "award" she really has her sights set on is the title National Champion. She has been singled out in HS and USA Basketball for her play, so she knows how to remain humble through it all. She will be a beast in the Tournament...she will do everything she can to help her Team bring home the title...and if that ends up with a MOP award she will continue to remain humble and give credit to her Teammates for setting screens, for getting her the ball when open, for their great cuts to enable her to get an assist and so on.

I smile ? when I realize we get to watch her play for at least 3 more seasons!

GO HUSKIES!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Naismith announced the DPOY-Natasha Mack and COY-Tara VanDerveer.

The Player award is to be announced on April 4th at a luncheon.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Naismith announced the DPOY-Natasha Mack and COY-Tara VanDerveer.

The Player award is to be announced on April 4th at a luncheon.
The women's award and the women's coach is scheduled for tomorrow not Sunday, and the Pac12 site just announced the COY is Tara - perhaps by mistake blowing the timing of the announcement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom