Paige coming back!! Aubrey too!! (Merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Paige coming back!! Aubrey too!! (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bob and Debbie made a good point on the radio broadcast. Aaliyah and Nika are here on F-1 student visas (Canada and Croatia) and as such do not have the NIL opportunities that American students do. That will most likely play a big role in their decisions whether to return or to go pro.
I agree with you. Also, of all the members on this current team, I think Aaliyah is the one most ready for the W, so she should go.

Reaction Score
Paige and Ice both were out a year before returning to 5 on 5 play.
Olivia Miles injured her knee late Feb 2023 and is not likely to return this year.

If you are going to be realistic then given the above; Jana should be back for the beginning of 2024-25 season. Ayanna may be back in December 2024, and Azzi and Aubrey back in January/February 2025.

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles injured her knee late Feb 2023 and is not likely to return this year.

If you are going to be realistic then given the above; Jana should be back for the beginning of 2024-25 season. Ayanna may be back in December 2024, and Azzi and Aubrey back in January/February 2025.

I'd be shocked if Yanna isn't ready for the beginning of the 2024-2025 season. And I think Azzi wouldn't be far behind.

Reaction Score

Ayanna didn’t tear her ACL . I’d imagine she’s be back closer summer if her surgery is what I think it was.

I’d be surprised if Aubrey and Azzi weren’t both back by December. Maybe Aubrey in January.

Reaction Score
I have a question that some might see as flaming (not at all). Does anyone think Paige is coming back so as not to be outdone by Caitlin Clark? Paige got most of the publicity when the two were coming out of high school.

I know Paige has been hampered with injuries and Caitlin has been on a trajectory since she arrived on campus. IMO it helps Paige if Caitlin goes to the WNBA this year. Is Caitlin decides she likes college life better, does that hurt publicity for Paige. If I'm Paige, I want Caitlin to go pro this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have a question that some might see as flaming (not at all). Does anyone think Paige is coming back so as not to be outdone by Caitlin Clark? Paige got most of the publicity when the two were coming out of high school.

I know Paige has been hampered with injuries and Caitlin has been on a trajectory since she arrived on campus. IMO it helps Paige if Caitlin goes to the WNBA this year. Is Caitlin decides she likes college life better, does that hurt publicity for Paige. If I'm Paige, I want Caitlin to go pro this year.
Obviously, you don’t know very much about Paige. She loves her teammates and she loves playing for UConn. Caitlin Clark has absolutely nothing to do with Paige’s decision to stay another year at UConn.

Reaction Score

Paige staying has nothing to do with Clark. This is Paige’s 2nd full year even though she’s a senior. I dont think she’s done playing college ball

Reaction Score
Paige staying has nothing to do with Clark. This is Paige’s 2nd full year even though she’s a senior. I dont think she’s done playing college ball
Well one of the reasons I asked is due to the fact that Caitlin will obviously be picked #1. Some of the projections I've seen has Paige as high as #3 on the draft board. I was thinking if Caitlin went to the WNBA, Paige would be the PG folks are talking about next year. Either way, Paige will go high in the draft this year or next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well one of the reasons I asked is due to the fact that Caitlin will obviously be picked #1. Some of the projections I've seen has Paige as high as #3 on the draft board. I was thinking if Caitlin went to the WNBA, Paige would be the PG folks are talking about next year. Either way, Paige will go high in the draft this year or next year.
I know this may sound odd, but it’s not all about getting drafted by the W and where you end up. Paige made that quite clear in her remarks last week before she announced she was coming back to UConn next season. For someone like Paige, who is thoroughly enjoying her time at UConn, another year in Storrs is exactly what she wants to do right now.

As a result of NIL, it’s not about the pro contract either, for Paige or Caitlin. They are both well-compensated, considerably beyond the WNBA rookie minimum.

If you really want to know what makes Paige tick, take a look at the Boneyard thread I started this morning entitled, “How do you measure greatness?”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Paige and Caitlin are friends. There’s no one-upmanship and I seriously doubt either of them care about individual awards

Reaction Score
I think you could answer your own question if you ask "What would you do?" In this era with the money that player's like Paige could make? And her history with injury vs taking some time off after season's end. And you have money in collegee - probably the greatest time of your life or among them.

You are going to risk / throw away all the above just so you can say you were the number 1 pick een though the WNBA doesn't pay that mjuch while you're making a furtune in NIL?

She's living the college life while being paid a lot of money with still a major goal she is trying to reach for. All--the-while she gives her knee sometime after the season for a brief rest which may in the long run extend her career. IMO these are powerful reasons to stay. Never mind her oppotruntiy to play basetball in a college atmosphere which she will only have about 2.5 years so far instead of what should have been 4.

Reaction Score
Jana has spent two seasons watching form the bench and practicing at UConn. Becoming immersed in the culture and the approach to the game as is taught by Geno & CD.

"Watching from the bench for a year is nothing like playing against the speed and physicality in the D-1 college game."
Ice Brady
True, but it’s better than not watching. She will have picked up many things mentally that she will not immediately be able to execute but the execution will nonetheless come more easily and sooner than if she had not watched from the bench. I think that is what we are seeing with Ice! She is clearly improving her conditioning and the physical is slowly beginning to mesh with the mental! I’m convinced Ice (and Jana) is going to be a star for us before it’s all over!

Reaction Score
I personally don’t think Caitlin Clark will be drafted at all! I think she will come back and play her Covid year! Why would she leave what is obviously a great situation where she is able to play in front of adoring fans with her friends, for a coach she clearly respects and gets along with, while at the same time making (reportedly) upwards of one and a half million dollars? Leaving that for what many are speculating will be a, if not hostile, at least much less friendly professional life surely doesn’t seem nearly as appealing when you are already making 20 times what your first year’s salary will be! Not only that, but Iowa has a pretty good looking big coming in and could be a likely landing spot for 1 or 2 good portal players looking to play with the best player in the country!

Reaction Score
Of course a player with ample resources could play as a non-scholarship member of the roster.
I bet if one of the players started a "go fund me page" they'd have no trouble raising tuition money. Prior to NIL you couldn't give a player money. Can you do that now? I think, I could be wrong again, but if you're a walk-on and not on scholarship, the NCAA rules do not apply. A walk-on can have a part-time job (think work visa as opposed to a student visa, and the associated bump in NIL. In fact, that could be more valuable than a scholarship.)

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I bet if one of the players started a "go fund me page" they'd have no trouble raising tuition money. Prior to NIL you couldn't give a player money. Can you do that now? I think, I could be wrong again, but if you're a walk-on and not on scholarship, the NCAA rules do not apply. A walk-on can have a part-time job (think work visa as opposed to a student visa, and the associated bump in NIL. In fact, that could be more valuable than a scholarship.)

GoFundMe, no. The player has to earn the money. Maybe a kickstarter? I'm wondering if a summer kickstarter for foreign players would work. They'd be in their home country.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
True, but it’s better than not watching. She will have picked up many things mentally that she will not immediately be able to execute but the execution will nonetheless come more easily and sooner than if she had not watched from the bench. I think that is what we are seeing with Ice! She is clearly improving her conditioning and the physical is slowly beginning to mesh with the mental! I’m convinced Ice (and Jana) is going to be a star for us before it’s all over!
I see ur point

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno was at Sara's game last nite. Dawn has a big push on to get her. Ive been told that Dawn and her coaching staff were at Sara's Senior Nite and Aja and Aaliyah have attended her games. Joyce Edwards the number 2 player in the class has been talking to Sara to come to SC. Why would Joyce be trying to get Sara when Joyce plays the same position and Dawn has players on the roster who also play that position?? With that said Dawn is trying really hard but I think Sara comes to UConn. Theres a position for her and starter minutes are available. Geno is loaded next season if we are healthy. Health may play into playtime for those coming back but when you think big and strong and Sara and ICE and Jana and even maybe Aaliyah well UConn has got NC written all over them. I was thinking of our loss to SC. If we had been healthy I really believe we wouldve wont that game. Azzi and Caroline each put up double figures and thats about all we wouldve needed to win that game.

Reaction Score
GoFundMe, no. The player has to earn the money. Maybe a kickstarter? I'm wondering if a summer kickstarter for foreign players would work. They'd be in their home country.
Temery and people more knowledgeable than I: "the player has to earn the money", who's rule is that? The NCAA or a UConn rule? I'm under the impression (which could be wrong) that if a player is not under scholarship the NCAA rules do not apply. Many years ago UConn had a walk-on player who had a part time job helping to clean up Gampel after a game, some kind of work/study situation. Not allowed for scholarship players. Of course to your point, that is earned money.

The flip side is the school would still be an NCAA school so it may be the case of the NCAA governing the school and what is allowed, not so much the walk-on player.

Reaction Score
Geno was at Sara's game last nite. Dawn has a big push on to get her. Ive been told that Dawn and her coaching staff were at Sara's Senior Nite and Aja and Aaliyah have attended her games. Joyce Edwards the number 2 player in the class has been talking to Sara to come to SC. Why would Joyce be trying to get Sara when Joyce plays the same position and Dawn has players on the roster who also play that position?? With that said Dawn is trying really hard but I think Sara comes to UConn. Theres a position for her and starter minutes are available. Geno is loaded next season if we are healthy. Health may play into playtime for those coming back but when you think big and strong and Sara and ICE and Jana and even maybe Aaliyah well UConn has got NC written all over them. I was thinking of our loss to SC. If we had been healthy I really believe we wouldve wont that game. Azzi and Caroline each put up double figures and thats about all we wouldve needed to win that game.
I think there are multiple reasons she may end up a Gamecock:
1. Sarah wants to play W/SF...Joyce will play PF...Adel Tac will play Post...(no problems there with playing time)
2. The Carolina program is and has been the most successful program of the last 4-5 years.
3. Sarah's parents are from South Carolina and rumor has it Sarah's mother wants her to play for Dawn.
4. Joyce Edwards and Sarah are friends which carries weight.
5. The attendance for games in Columbia are ave. 15-18 thousand fans. Gamecock fans show up and show out...
6. Dawn is much younger than Geno so it begs the question, will Geno be at UCONN all 4 years.

Just my thoughts...It's going to come down to Carolina and UCONN...I've said it many times that I think she ultimately picks UCONN. I hope I'm wrong:D:p.

Reaction Score
I personally don’t think Caitlin Clark will be drafted at all! I think she will come back and play her Covid year! Why would she leave what is obviously a great situation where she is able to play in front of adoring fans with her friends, for a coach she clearly respects and gets along with, while at the same time making (reportedly) upwards of one and a half million dollars? Leaving that for what many are speculating will be a, if not hostile, at least much less friendly professional life surely doesn’t seem nearly as appealing when you are already making 20 times what your first year’s salary will be! Not only that, but Iowa has a pretty good looking big coming in and could be a likely landing spot for 1 or 2 good portal players looking to play with the best player in the country!
Cuango- - One thing I was thinking about the other day is Martin and Marshal, her 2 best buddy's, will leave after this, their Covid year! So she'll have a majority of the team as new players Not girls she came in with!
Caitlin may want to start fresh in the WNBA!
Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr