Paige cleared to play | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paige cleared to play

Reaction Score
While I am neutral on this potential Geno tactic, surprised no one to my knowledge has commented on Paige starting the season as a sub (i.e. similar to how Geno brought her back from her first injury). For those with short memories, UConn was dominating the NCAA's with Azzi and Nika starting and Paige playing well but getting her feet under her as the first sub. Please note that I would be astounded if Paige wasn't starting for most of the year, but just wondering about the beginning of the year.

Reaction Score
Excited Seinfeld GIF
Happy Dance!

MercyMe - Happy Dance (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Reaction Score
While I am neutral on this potential Geno tactic, surprised no one to my knowledge has commented on Paige starting the season as a sub (i.e. similar to how Geno brought her back from her first injury). For those with short memories, UConn was dominating the NCAA's with Azzi and Nika starting and Paige playing well but getting her feet under her as the first sub. Please note that I would be astounded if Paige wasn't starting for most of the year, but just wondering about the beginning of the year.
I don’t know. She’s cleared to play, and the first game is three months away. Since UConn will organize the team around her, it seems likely she’ll start from the beginning. We’ll see.

Reaction Score

Wow there looking good

Apparently, the white print boxers are the new "Red Jersey" [don't hit the quarterback jersey]...

Nothing wrong with PB's shooting!

Go Huskies!!! Get Healthy! Stay Healthy!

Reaction Score
Just to reflect for a moment on what Paige means to the team:

It's not the perimeter shooting, though that is awesome. It's more the confidence that she can get a bucket -- typically a midrange jumper coming off a screen -- whenever the team needs one. Having a bucket-getter on your team means everyone feels less pressure. Everyone can take more chances on offense and defense. Against Texas and NC St last season, Azzi was that player. But after the injuries, she wasn't able to get back to that level before the season ended. Lou stepped into the role once Paige and Azzi were out, and she performed heroically against rough defenses pointed directly at her every night. She deserves a medal for her play last season. Caroline healthy can be another bucket-getter. This is also who Caitlin was for Iowa last season. It's tougher for a post player to do this kind of work for a team because they need the guards to open up the lane. But Aaliyah gave it her best shot, and on some nights it was Dorka.

There's a few games that come to mind in which Paige simply took over the scoring when the team really needed her. Rewatch those and you can really see what she means to the team. In her freshman year, the game against SC, when she took over pretty much all the scoring at the end of the 4th quarter and the overtime. There was nothing SC could do (and especially Beal) to stop her. Or the Baylor game that year, when she took over the 3rd and 4th quarters. Or the ND game her sophomore year, when the Irish were in flopping mode and Paige got pissed and simply took the game directly at them (at Miles and Mabry and Citron) and practically ran them off the court. And the Arkansas game. But especially the NC St game in the tournament. Paige (still hobbled) had played well in regulation, but in overtime she just took over again. And in the second OT period, she sank her opening 3 pointer, and it felt like the team could breathe easier. It was like she knew exactly what they needed. In those games, you see really clearly what Paige means to the team.

With Paige back, and Azzi, and Caroline, all bucket-getters to one degree or another, we will see a totally different team this season. Knowing that we can score as needed will open up the paint on offense for Aaliyah Ice Aubrey Ayanna and Amari. But it will also unleash the defense and the transition game. I expect the press to yield turnovers and layups. But also think about what that will mean for opposing teams on offense -- if they take a bad shot, or give up a long defensive rebound, Aubrey or Azzi or Paige will convert it into a fast break layup before they know what hit them. All the pressure they'll feel trying to run their half court sets will also ratchet up the full court pressure Nika Aubrey KK Ashlynn Qadence Azzi Caroline Paige & Co can put on them.

The tOSU press was effective because they ran it tirelessly, but also because they had three bucket-getters, Mikesell Sheldon and McMahon. It's one thing for your offense to be disrupted by an opposing team's press. But for it to turn into points at the other end almost instantaneously is really demoralizing. tOSU lost Mikesell for this season, but Sheldon and McMahon are still formidable, and adding Celeste Taylor will bring even more energy to their press. Geno's press will be better than tOSU's press was last year, not because we have more energy (though we should have plenty of that) but because we have so many bucket-getters.
I am hoping that "Q" will be a "Microwave" ala Vinny Johnson [Detroit, back in the day] to spell Aubrey or anyone at the "3" by mid-season, because Azzi says, "she [Q] does not miss...

November '23 will be fun, but March & April will be beautiful basketball with "an edge" as the Huskies will be stronger than they are now...

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I am hoping that "Q" will be a "Microwave" ala Vinny Johnson [Detroit, back in the day] to spell Aubrey or anyone at the "3" by mid-season, because Azzi says, "she [Q] does not miss...

November '23 will be fun, but March & April will be beautiful basketball with "an edge" as the Huskies will be stronger than they are now...

Go Huskies!
Huge shout out for the Microwave reference. Vinny Johnson was literally instant offense off the bench for the Pistons and his brief stint with the Sonics.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Huge shout out for the Microwave reference. Vinny Johnson was literally instant offense off the bench for the Pistons and his brief stint with the Sonics.
Totally....I despised him bcus he roasted my Celtics more times thn I can count, but he was a great player. Didn't make the HOF basically bcus he played behind 2Thomas and Dumars, great guards in Thomas and Dumars

Reaction Score
I thought the "non-slogan slogan" was "shut up and play the games"?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought the "non-slogan slogan" was "shut up and play the games"?
Almost, you're missing a couple words in there. (the $%&@) :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Might have helped against Ohio State

I love this short video. While we have seen a number of recent videos of Paige in action, most were not at full speed. So there was a question in my mind as to whether she was completely recovered physically and, more importantly, psychologically from her ACL injury/surgery.

In this video she goes full out, with several crossover dribbles and hard cuts, breaking the press by the Husky’s most relentless defender. If Paige was still concerned about her knee, I doubt she would be able to go this hard, one on one against Nika.

OK. Let’s play ball!!!

Reaction Score
I love this short video. While we have seen a number of recent videos of Paige in action, most were not at full speed. So there was a question in my mind as to whether she was completely recovered physically and, more importantly, psychologically from her ACL injury/surgery.

In this video she goes full out, with several crossover dribbles and hard cuts, breaking the press by the Husky’s most relentless defender. If Paige was still concerned about her knee, I doubt she would be able to go this hard, one on one against Nika.

OK. Let’s play ball!!!
I know you’re right, but I fear it will always be in the back of my mind every time I see her go up and down the court. :oops:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know you’re right, but I fear it will always be in the back of my mind every time I see her go up and down the court. :oops:
It’s OK if it’s in the back of your mind. Just so long as it’s not in the back of Paige’s mind, I’m good. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom