Paige Bueckers, UConn women circling wagons | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers, UConn women circling wagons

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some good quotes from Paige regarding outside influences on the team. Gifted article:
“We’re not worried about (the rankings),” Bueckers said after practice on Friday. “The best thing we can do right now is delete social media, stay off of Twitter, stay off Instagram. No offense to the media, but they have no idea what goes on here every day in practice, the struggles we go through, mentally, physically, and a lot of it is people putting a lot of pressure on us, sort of tear us apart. I feel we already have a lot of pressure on us, we already have super high expectations for ourselves. Right now, we’re just trying to become a better basketball team in every facet and focusing on that.”

“You could look at it, yeah, we’re 17 and we haven’t been that in 30 years,” Bueckers said. “But every team is different, every team goes through different things. UConn alums are very supportive of us and are here whenever we have questions about all we’re going through and they have voices of support and encouragement. But, honestly, the best thing we can do is tune it all out and focus on ourselves individually and as a team.”

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think that the media that are allowed to participate in player pre and post game interviews should only be allowed to ask questions that relate directly to the game.
I am guessing that some will accuse me of censorship but the only reason that the players are available is because of this specific game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those who may not know, the Boneyard is considered part of that social media Paige was referencing

90DCE2EA-B5A4-47CB-A13A-CCB696F814C7.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For the record, I’m not talking to the vast majority of you whose posts remain on the board. I’m talking to the small number of people whose posts keep disappearing. I just worry the mods won’t see those awful posts before players and their families do

Reaction Score
She ain’t wrong. Social media and the focus that goes along with it overreacts to all games win or lose. Geno used to have a no social media policy which became unrealistic due to the changing times but there was good intention so they don’t listen to the praise and criticism that is inevitable.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
She ain’t wrong. Social media and the focus that goes along with it overreacts to all games win or lose. Geno used to have a no social media policy which became unrealistic due to the changing times but there was good intention so they don’t listen to the praise and criticism that is inevitable.

social media is here to stay. people like our mods can regulate somewhat :) and maybe -- or hopefully, but it seems doubtful, some 3rd party with the power to rein it in, i.e. the government, will act.

so, the best hope now is that people will themselves snap out of it and stop taking the garbage that's there to heart. if you would not listen to some jerk on the street who you don't know seriously, why should you give any credence to what appears on social media?

if they're incapable of that, then like paige sez, just don't look at it -- ain't worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the record, I’m not talking to the vast majority of you whose posts remain on the board. I’m talking to the small number of people whose posts keep disappearing. I just worry the mods won’t see those awful posts before players and their families do
Keep up the good work, @HuskyNan !

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
She may be young...but, those are some wise words...I know this schedule is very difficult but it will help to steel this team's resolve and it will make them a better team in March. We all should be pleased with how far the women's game has come in that so many teams have become competitive and are no longer automatic wins.

Reaction Score
Social media is here to stay, but it’s a good idea that the team takes a break from it for a while. They have the season and school to worry about, and that’s enough stress right there.

Reaction Score
Paige is 100% correct. They should not be looking at anything not even the BY. They should be focused on school and their next game. Clippings and social media and rankings don't play the games, they do.

As for losses and outside negativity as a result of them, seeing the way they played yesterday, with the two starting freshmen already playing with non-freshmen experience and with Q just waiting in the wings to grow as a player and be impactful consistently, and Ice needing time to get used to it, I don't care about our record or the losses to 3 top 5 teams. I only care about what happens in March.

This is already a perceptibly different team. You have to be prepared to lose to learn how to win. I think yesterday has to be a big confidence booster and that they should remain with the wagons circled. Work in silence, let success be your noise.

Reaction Score
Some good quotes from Paige regarding outside influences on the team. Gifted article:
“We’re not worried about (the rankings),” Bueckers said after practice on Friday. “The best thing we can do right now is delete social media, stay off of Twitter, stay off Instagram. No offense to the media, but they have no idea what goes on here every day in practice, the struggles we go through, mentally, physically, and a lot of it is people putting a lot of pressure on us, sort of tear us apart. I feel we already have a lot of pressure on us, we already have super high expectations for ourselves. Right now, we’re just trying to become a better basketball team in every facet and focusing on that.”

“You could look at it, yeah, we’re 17 and we haven’t been that in 30 years,” Bueckers said. “But every team is different, every team goes through different things. UConn alums are very supportive of us and are here whenever we have questions about all we’re going through and they have voices of support and encouragement. But, honestly, the best thing we can do is tune it all out and focus on ourselves individually and as a team.”
I haven't seen many posts that don't say what Geno is already saying either verbally or by his actions. I don't think our Husky women are snowflakes and they need not be treated as such. When someone posts a positive about a player that is just not true, other posters are right to point that out. There are two cases/players whose talents (or lack thereof) were discussed recently and the negative responses came after others had posted about Geno needing to give them more PT. Do you imagine either player doesn't know why they are only in at garbage time? Of course they do. It is some Boneyarders who do not. In fact, the negative posts in these situations are the ones that imply that the coaching staff is bad.

Reaction Score
This year the Philadelphia Phillies fans did something that we, and every fan base could learn from: Nick Castellanos joined the Phillies as one of the most productive hitters in the game but had been horrible at the plate for most of 2023 season. The media trounced him and his struggles continued. A group of fans decided to try a different course: they pooled their money and rented a billboard that encouraged Phillies fans to give Castellanos a standing ovation in his upcoming game. The fan base caught on and to Nick's surprise, he was given a hero's welcome at the next home game as a pure vote of confidence. What did he do??? He immediately turned his season around, tearing it up in the playoffs on the way to a NLCS ring.

Reaction Score
That would be my question, do the players and/or their families , read the BY?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom