Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec has a story out after talking to Paige last night. Maybe someone can link it as I’m at work.

Here it is

UConn lands top 2020 recruit Bueckers

Some great quotes.

“I love their attention to details. Whether it’s the way they all have their shirts tucked it, or the way they work and talk in practice, or just the way they stretch before game or practice, that meant a lot. It’s something that you want to be a part of.”

Not exactly the things that TN recruits think about. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The U19 trials take place in May. The invitations have yet to be extended. Jeff Walz is the coach.

Oh no. Will Jeff still be holding a grudge? :oops:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Okay I'll wait until tomorrow to be sure. Can't be sure of anything on April 1.

You're absolutely right on that. During a long drive home yesterday, my Madison WI raised wife read an article that the University of Wisconsin has banned jump around at Camp Randall because of fears the stadium will collapse. It took until the end of the article when it because suspicious that this was a prank. She was pretty growly for a while.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The world-class education at The Farm obviously appealed to Haley, as did her long relationship with Tara and staff. The 16 miles from Mitty to Maples was also a factor. If Haley had played at, say, Worcester Academy, she probably would have picked UConn. JMO.

Haley is a likable player and person. I'm a fan, except when Stanford plays v. UConn. Same with Van Lith if she passes on UConn.
And likewise with Bueckers! She's fabulous, and I think the comparisons to DT are spot on. I don't think I can ever recall seeing an 18 year old with moves so similar to hers. She has the same wirey frame, long arms, thunderous speed and exceptional ball direction. On a few of her passes it almost looked like she was moving the ball with her mind, it was so perfectly placed. I can't wait to see her on every court but ours!

Reaction Score
Carl Adamec has a story out after talking to Paige last night. Maybe someone can link it as I’m at work.
My favorite take from that piece was Carla Berube's assessment:

“Paige has some D (Diana Taurasi) in her,” Berube said. “She can be cocky, but she can back it up. Other players love playing with Paige. They play hard for her and she brings out the best in them. She’s one of the best passers I’ve seen and I’ve played with some good ones. She has some flash but can stay under control and make good decisions."

Reaction Score
It's also kind of less of a national news story when UConn gets its seemingly 100th #1 recruit. Jones to Stanford was a bigger story because Stanford rarely lands the top recruit; y'all seem to do it basically every year. Easy to take that story for granted. (And for the fan bases of every other program in the country to want to ignore it!)

UConn getting shut out by top recruits in last year's recruiting class was a pretty big story.....................I'm sure many in the media plus opposing coaches/fans took great pleasure in that...................the only folks that I'm concerned with discussing the Bueckers signing are other possible UConn recruits........................;)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"Paige Bueckers had given her oral commitment to attend UConn to women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma awhile ago, she said, but waited until Monday to turn to Twitter and make her decision public."

This. Can you imagine keeping secrets like these? I’m betting the coaches do it all the time but still, my brain would burst trying no to infer anything to anyone.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
mbr33ct, I think there is something to the timing of her commitment announcement. I believe that her's is a deliberate attempt to help Geno and UCONN recruiting. While doing so she also helps herself. It will be interesting to see what kind of a draw she is. She knows everybody and certainly they know her.
I thinks she waited until her high school season ended to avoid the distractions such as the UConn Horde calling for interviews

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Monday, Bueckers committed to play at UConn, unquestioningly the most successful and revered college women’s program, when her high school days are over.

So I’ll ask the same question: Is Paige Bueckers the best girls’ high school player in state history?

The facts bear that out. Bueckers has been a varsity standout at Hopkins, arguably the preeminent girls basketball program in the state, since eighth-grade. She topped 2,000 career points this season and is currently sitting at 2,288.

Her skills are plentiful. She can score off the dribble, has range past the arc, is unselfish, has great court vision, creates opportunities for her teammates and has the innate sense of when she needs to assert herself while never slowing down the flow of a game.

She’s a three-time Team USA gold medalist and is the consensus No. 1-ranked recruit in the Class of 2020.

But if Hugunin won’t say it, I will. With everything that she has accomplished and possessing perhaps the most well-rounded game of any of the top players to come before her, Paige Bueckers, even with a year remaining in her high school career, can now take her place at the head of the table as the best Minnesota has ever produced.

Paige Bueckers: Minnesota's best ever?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kelli Stacy got a very good interview with Hopkins coach Brian Cosgrif. Here are three of her five questions to him:

Q: Were you surprised when Paige chose UConn?

A: “I wasn’t surprised at all. I was hoping she would choose UConn. First of all, Geno did by far the best job of recruiting her. I’ve never seen a college coach do such due diligence in recruiting a player, and there’s a reason why UConn’s great every year. There just is. Between him and [associate head coach Chris Dailey], they did an amazing job in recruiting her. They built this relationship over three years ago, and it didn’t surprise me at all. I was in tears of joy that she was going to UConn.”

Q: What’s her personality like?

A: “She’s very gregarious — a fun person to be around. Kids like being around her. She’s quiet, yet fun to be around. She’s very confident, and she has a high basketball IQ. She’s very coachable. I think the sky is the limit for her, I really do.

"I think you’re going to love having a player of Paige’s abilities out there because she’s our best defender. She shoots the three. Her best asset is she makes everyone around here a better ball player.”

Q: What does she need to improve on her senior year?

A: “I want her to get stronger. When you see her, she’s pretty skinny. I would like for her to get stronger. I always want her to continue to work on her shot. She’s got a great shot, but she can always get better. She came to games two or three classes ahead. She really has a feel for the game like nobody I’ve ever seen.”

Who is UConn women’s basketball recruit Paige Bueckers?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If you are a good player, do you want to play with a great PG who will get you the ball in scoring position regularly? I sure think so.
Especially forwards Mil. Guards can create for themselves, but most bigs need that guard to put in the right place when they're in the right spot at the right time. Hopefully these young forwards on the come up see UConn and Paige as their ticket to glory.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She looks great. Showing my age, but her passing looks like Pistol Pete Maravich, which is a very good thing. If her shooting matches his, pretty special.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I love their attention to details. Whether it’s the way they all have their shirts tucked it, or the way they work and talk in practice, or just the way they stretch before game or practice, that meant a lot. It’s something that you want to be a part of.”

I picture Chris Dailey hearing that wiping away a tear and thinking, "She's like a daughter to me."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hope this is not a duplicate:

I abhor posters quoting themselves, but I'm also lazy. Looking at Paige in the screen shot it dawned on me she is really going to show the bruises.

Reaction Score
Isn't Azzi Fudd primarily a point guard too.......?

Might be a good problem to have with those 2 on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom