Paige Bueckers to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
you don't think posting on Twitter is hoopla? Did you see MWalker's announcement?
They all announce there comittments on Twitter .. nothing wrong with that!! Sam Brunelle sent a nice message to her on twitter saying how happy she was for Paige. At the end of the day the fans and media like to make drama between programs and coaches but a lot of these young ladies are great friends off the court and are generally happy for each other’s success no mater where they end up in college. A lot of us should take a page out of there books!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
you don't think posting on Twitter is hoopla? Did you see MWalker's announcement?
Meg, Christyn, Olivia, Haley, et al. announced during the early signing period. There was both the element of surprise and the ceremony of signing. Paige likely will have a signing event at her high school, but there will be no surprise. By Paige committing 7+ months early, her decision will cause other dominoes to fall, both in Storrs and elsewhere. If I'm an elite player and not a point guard, I want to play with Paige. She'll help my game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This run to the final 4 seems to have reinvigorated Geno. This can only add to that and I expect we’ll have to put up with him for a few more years.:rolleyes:

He recently mentioned that getting two particular recruits would be enough to keep him coaching at least until their careers are over at UCONN. Although he obviously mentioned no one by name, Bueckers is one and Azzi is two. We're halfway there.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A couple of things to add. I'll admit I did venture over to the ND board - was surprised they were so shocked. She always wanted UCONN. But...

I did enjoy their angst over thinking Bueckers was "in the bag" given her friendship with Brunelle, but a few things about that.
  1. Brunelle wanted UCONN up to near the end, but there was no scholly extended. Everyone will believe what they want, but there it is. I have reasons for believing what I do. Others may disagree and that's fine.
  2. If you really listen to Paige's comments, it was ALWAYS UCONN. Just like Tenn fans thought they led for Maya, for any ND fans who thought they ever led for Paige, fact is, it was always UCONN. She idolized UCONN from a young age, and I doubt very much ND EVER led for her, regardless of how much Brunelle may have tried to convince her.
  3. If you watched any of the games where Bueckers, Fudd, Brunelle, Boston, Jones, Horston etc. played together, it was always Bueckers and Fudd together as thick as thieves. Any ND fan who thinks Fudd is ND bound needs to rethink that. Then again, maybe not, but be prepared to be disappointed.
I think Paige may be the most important recruit since Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. I'm not talking about sheer talent - I believe Bueckers has the potential, from a talent perspective, to be the 4th true face on UCONN's Mt. Rushmore - Dee, Maya, Stewie and... ? Anyway, I say most important for a couple reasons...

But first an aside to explain about KML... she was not only a #1 recruit, but EVERYONE liked her and most everyone wanted to play with her. I think she was instrumental in helping land the holy trinity (Mo, Stewie, Morgan - even tho I think we always led for Stewie).

So I say most important sine KML for 2 reasons. 1) She's a PG. The PG is who has the most control over the pace of the offense, how it runs, and how gets passed to when/where etc. Even Berube noted everyone wants to play with Paige. She's THAT good. We read about Christyn wanting to play with Dangerfield. Gabby and Kia Nurse wanting to play with Jefferson. I think Paige is the linchpin of the next 2 recruiting classes. Everyone will want to play with her. Not saying we will get everyone, but get ready for a sustained collage of top recruits coming our way. And 2) she's just that good. She just oozes confidence and leadership. Kids who want to win NC's want to go where the talent is. I cannot overstate how important she is to our future and how devastating it is to the team who thought she was coming their way.

I am cautiously optimistic that the dominoes will continue to fall UCONN's way in recruiting for 2020, 21, and 22. If it goes as I hope, UCONN is on the precipice of another era of domination. All the worry warts can officially retire for the next 5 years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not the news I was hoping for but congrats on landing Bueckers. She is a stud. Reminds me a LOT of Taurasi with her swagger and style of play.

The rich get richer....Geno sure has a stronghold on #1 recruits:
#1 Recruits Since 2006:
UCONN-8 (or 9): Charles, Moore, EDD (signed NLI but never played), KML, Stewart, KLS, Walker, Williams, Bueckers
Stanford-2: Ogwumike and Jones
Baylor-2: Griner and Cox
Tennessee-1: Russell
South Carolina-1: Wilson
Delaware-1: EDD
Evina Westbrook?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A couple of things to add. I'll admit I did venture over to the ND board - was surprised they were so shocked. She always wanted UCONN. But...

I did enjoy their angst over thinking Bueckers was "in the bag" given her friendship with Brunelle, but a few things about that.
  1. Brunelle wanted UCONN up to near the end, but there was no scholly extended. Everyone will believe what they want, but there it is. I have reasons for believing what I do. Others may disagree and that's fine.
  2. If you really listen to Paige's comments, it was ALWAYS UCONN. Just like Tenn fans thought they led for Maya, for any ND fans who thought they ever led for Paige, fact is, it was always UCONN. She idolized UCONN from a young age, and I doubt very much ND EVER led for her, regardless of how much Brunelle may have tried to convince her.
  3. If you watched any of the games where Bueckers, Fudd, Brunelle, Boston, Jones, Horston etc. played together, it was always Bueckers and Fudd together as thick as thieves. Any ND fan who thinks Fudd is ND bound needs to rethink that. Then again, maybe not, but be prepared to be disappointed.
I think Paige may be the most important recruit since Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. I'm not talking about sheer talent - I believe Bueckers has the potential, from a talent perspective, to be the 4th true face on UCONN's Mt. Rushmore - Dee, Maya, Stewie and... ? Anyway, I say most important for a couple reasons...

But first an aside to explain about KML... she was not only a #1 recruit, but EVERYONE liked her and most everyone wanted to play with her. I think she was instrumental in helping land the holy trinity (Mo, Stewie, Morgan - even tho I think we always led for Stewie).

So I say most important sine KML for 2 reasons. 1) She's a PG. The PG is who has the most control over the pace of the offense, how it runs, and how gets passed to when/where etc. Even Berube noted everyone wants to play with Paige. She's THAT good. We read about Christyn wanting to play with Dangerfield. Gabby and Kia Nurse wanting to play with Jefferson. I think Paige is the linchpin of the next 2 recruiting classes. Everyone will want to play with her. Not saying we will get everyone, but get ready for a sustained collage of top recruits coming our way. And 2) she's just that good. She just oozes confidence and leadership. Kids who want to win NC's want to go where the talent is. I cannot overstate how important she is to our future and how devastating it is to the team who thought she was coming their way.

I am cautiously optimistic that the dominoes will continue to fall UCONN's way in recruiting for 2020, 21, and 22. If it goes as I hope, UCONN is on the precipice of another era of domination. All the worry warts can officially retire for the next 5 years.

Eric:
Congrats on Ms. Bueckers choosing UConn. As I've said, it's a beyond -good get for any school, particularly one that plays at the level of excellence that UConn does.

Glad you came over to the Bench. We don't bite (well at least most of us don't :rolleyes:...every board has its you know whats)....stay awhile once the season is over and blood pressures are down.

If you look there, you'll see a longstanding post at the top on recruiting and you'll see a familiar name assigned to it. And some of the most frequent contributors belong to two other Boneyard posters. As such, allow me to say I don't think the Bench was totally under the impression that Paige was ND-bound. Not in any way, shape or form. Some of her proponents have been very vocal in their support of Paige coming, but I don't recall more than a few "in the bag" comments.
In fact, there was a lot of "Paige vs. Caitlin" talk going on.

BTW, not everyone on every board (only a few of us crazed ones :rolleyes:) looks at every tea leaf. Sure in retrospect, it becomes a bit more obvious, but if all hints are prophecies, why is Aliyah Boston headed to S. Carolina?

Most Benchers are remarkably aware that the Irish just don't get the top recruits: we come close with Bri Turner or very close with Sam Brunelle and Jackie Young (depending on which service your looking at), but never quite the pinnacle coming out of high school. That's one reason why so many were excited about pursuing Paige Bueckers. But if you more than perused the Bench, you'd see that Caitlin Clark has also been in the "mutual interest" (Muffet's term) zone.
A sign that competition was tough was when Deja Kelly visited ND and ND, in turn, visited her in Texas.

So, I'm sure MM and company will bunker down, get some lessons learned and move on. We have not done too shabbily with either Sam B. and Anaya Peoples, who has an interesting blend of physical attributes, composure and leadership that will hopefully lend itself to winning. And in 2020, the still-growing (nearly 6'1") and still-improving Alli Campbell is coming aboard. Not as highly rated, but an improving, talented and hungry player, nonetheless.

Once again, tip of the hat. We're fine at the Bench (well if we had lost to Stanford, that might've been another story :rolleyes:). Our Irish will see you on Friday at Tampa and our coaches will see yours at other gyms in America.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This, indeed, is wonderful news. I, also, hope that this class is filled with lots of additional talent especially, the 8 foot Russian, Ivana Stepalovaya. I really would like to see UConn with a very, very, very tall talented person who can play center and really jump 3 feet into the air.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige doesn't know.

I guess being in the AAC isn't an issue.
1554210740556.png

Reaction Score
Looks like someone changed their tune! :eek:.
Now I hope you pick up your face because it dropped as soon as Paige committed to the UCONN!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom