Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Rene was before graduation.
Rene was the first active player to receive hers and it was on Senior Day/Night just like everyone else that has received it. Everyone that has received the honor has had met the requirements, the Senior Day/Night ceremony is before the graduation ceremony. I believe the only exceptions were the honorees in the original induction ceremony in Dec 2006 and Tuck who got hers during the 2016 NC celebration at Gampel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She got on the wall when named to the AP 1st team. She is now the owner of the greatest Freshman season ever and is looking pretty good to be the 4th person on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn WCBB joining Taurasi, Stewart and Moore.
Not accurate. The WCBA all-America team is used for the wall and that won’t be announced until the Tournament is over.

Reaction Score
Rene was the first active player to receive hers and it was on Senior Day/Night just like everyone else that has received it. Everyone that has received the honor has had met the requirements, the Senior Day/Night ceremony is before the graduation ceremony. I believe the only exceptions were the honorees in the original induction ceremony in Dec 2006 and Tuck who got hers during the 2016 NC celebration at Gampel.
Rene was honored before Senior Night.

Reaction Score
So I have a question about this NIL thing - are Universities and HS and Pro teams going to start charging a fee on their logo, their uniform, their facilities that appear in any of these NIL properties? I mean fair is fair - lots of these kids got nothing till they start lighting it up in colleges. And the ones lighting it up in HS well the HS should be getting something, right?
There could be a whole bunch of unintended consequences for HS and college with NIL. As a free enterprise capitalist I don't have a problem with kids making a few bucks, but before we risk wrecking the game, this needs to be thoroughly thought out, probably by someone much smarter than me...

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Next year will be some tough for Paige to win since,
there are 2 people will fight this award, Paige and Azzi :p .
Like when Maya and Tina had to share. "Oh my God, what a ******* nightmare!" (Channeling Mona Lisa Vito in "My Cousin Vinny')

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Many congratulations to Paige! It goes without saying, but we are beyond lucky to have her as a Husky. She seems to be such an extraordinary person and teammate, both on and off the court, and this unprecedented accomplishment has been well earned.

I think it’s cute that so called UConn fans have no idea how it actually works when it’s in the media guide. AP First Team puts you on the wall.
Really? I just ran a text search through this year's media guide for both "Huskies of Honor" and "wall" and came up empty (for anything relevant to this question, anyway). Of course the media guide lists all of UConn's past AP All-Americans, but it doesn't discuss this as a criterion for going up on the wall, as far as I can tell. Naturally, I'm happy to stand corrected if you can cite the page in the media guide where it says what you say it says.

For what it's worth, here's an excerpt from a post I made back in 2018:

As much fun as it’s been to speculate year after year about which All-American teams qualify a player for the Huskies of Honor, I was growing a little weary of it, so I decided to contact Pat McKenna at UConn to find out. His response:

"The WBCA, USBWA, AP and Wooden Teams are the ones we give the most credence to. The WBCA is the one we use when determining entry into the Huskies of Honor though as that is a 10-member team. Everyone in the Huskies of Honor was a member of the WBCA All-America Team."

Granted, this was three years ago, but I don't really feel like bothering UConn's athletic department about this issue again to find out if anything's changed.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I may be alone on this, but I really wish this honor not be released until after the champion is decided.

Too much pressure put on the winner, and the team is considered a failure if they can't win with the proclaimed best player in the country.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Paige.
Hope this award does not provide an extra incentive for Boston to raise her game against us.
Aren't you presuming a bit .... what makes you think that South Carolina will get past Stanford????

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I may be alone on this, but I really wish this honor not be released until after the champion is decided.

Too much pressure put on the winner, and the team is considered a failure if they can't win with the proclaimed best player in the country.
OR definitely not just before an elite 8 or final 4 game if the honoree if still playing! godalmighty! just nuts!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Regardless of any awards or their timing, I consider it a failure if we don’t win the NC.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Andy Landers just stated that Paige getting the AP POY as a Freshman is the second one too do it. Said Britney Grinder did it as well. Someone needs to replace this guy he can't pronounce names and miss quotes actual facts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom