Paige and Other Things | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige and Other Things

Reaction Score
I too am a UConn fan like most all of you, and Caitlin played for the Hawkeyes. She and her team beat us in the Final Four; I was not happy about that.

But right now, I am 100% in support of her. She plays for the worst team in the WNBA, and yet that bottom of the barrel franchise has the potential to evolve the league. If I were Herb Simon, the owner of the Fever, I would do everything possible to push his coaching staff and her fellow teammates to translate the 'flash and awe' that is Caitlin Clark, into the WNBA. Further, I’d try to get that glitzy show out there as quick as possible. Typically, it would be about winning, but in reality, all they need to be is competitive and have the allure that is CC. And it would be in everyone’s best interest for that to occur; his best interest, her Fever teammates' best interest, as well as every player in the league would benefit. Why? MONEY!

The Liberty sold out the entire 18,000-seat Barclays center for their matchup against the visiting Indiana Fever. The New York Liberty shattered the all-time single-game ticket revenue record with more than $2 million in sales.

"The buzz and eyes that Caitlin has brought from Iowa now to the WNBA is gonna be a collective win for all," Breanna Stewart said.
"And now that she's a part of our league and a part of our 144. ... Even though we're competing against each other, we're making sure that we're continuing to lift up this league together.” -Story by Tim Capurso

It has the potential for a windfall right now, not just for the Fever, but the entire league. This could be the first season in their 27-year history that the WNBA would not lose millions of dollars. I guess that is, unless out of spitefulness, some fans, some of the media, and some of the other players determine that it is necessary to put this young wooper-snaper in her place. ‘I know, let’s do our best to kill this golden goose, and then we can all go back to complaining about the fact that the league is not doing enough financially for their players!‘

As Oldude stated in Post #3 above, Paige’s attitude would be, “Celebrating other people’s success does not diminish yours.” Next season, Bueckers will likely join Caitlin at the pro level and further transform the WNBA. There is no benefit for us to be hyper critical of Clark one year in advance of that. Just my Opinion.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with your assessment of Paige, but your critique of CC is a bit premature. CC will be a great player in the W. The best response to your comments about CC might be from Paige herself, “Celebrating other people’s success does not diminish yours.”
Clark will be a great player in the W, but only in the way a player like Arike is great, a volume shooter that scores a lot of points. I am reminded of the comparisons between Napheesa and Arike, the volume shooting high scorer versus the more complete player on offense and defense. There is room for all, but I prefer to root for the Napheesa/Paige model.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Clark will be a great player in the W, but only in the way a player like Arike is great, a volume shooter that scores a lot of points. I am reminded of the comparisons between Napheesa and Arike, the volume shooting high scorer versus the more complete player on offense and defense. There is room for all, but I prefer to root for the Napheesa/Paige model.
arike is great? interesting take.

everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Reaction Score
Excuse me, but Clark is as renowned for her crisp passing as much as her scoring. An impressive combination of skills.

Reaction Score
Excuse me, but Clark is as renowned for her crisp passing as much as her scoring. An impressive combination of skills.

That's true for wcbb fans but not the general public, and it's the casual fans that the WNBA is after.

Casual fans want to see someone do something that no one else does and Clark's logo shots are what most tuned in to see. It's the same same in all pro sports. baseball fans want to see Judge and Stanton hit 475 foot home runs even though they count no more than a 320 foot home run.

Most people don't know enough about sports to appreciate 4 one-touch passes that lead to a layup in basketball or a goal in hockey. Teamwork is simply not as exciting to the mass audience as spectacular individual play.

Reaction Score
The critique of Clark is out of line. Not a team player? I think she led the world in assists.
Everyone who goes from college to the pros has to adjust the speed of the WNBA. She will.
Since when do assists = team player? To me she’s not a team player because of her attitude and her her teammates have described her behavior in the locker room over the years. She also let the country in turnovers multiple years and was only s few turnovers away from the all time single season turnover record this year. She gets but numbers but at what cost?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Since when do assists = team player? To me she’s not a team player because of her attitude and her her teammates have described her behavior in the locker room over the years. She also let the country in turnovers multiple years and was only s few turnovers away from the all time single season turnover record this year. She gets but numbers but at what cost?
I'm not aware of any Iowa teammates of Caitlin Clark who have publicly voiced such criticism. Can you cite a source for this? As far as I can tell, her teammates were and are 100% behind her, in the same way that Paige's UConn teammates are.

Reaction Score
I'm not aware of any Iowa teammates of Caitlin Clark who have publicly voiced such criticism. Can you cite a source for this? As far as I can tell, her teammates were and are 100% behind her, in the same way that Paige's UConn teammates are.
there was an article a while back, I don’t know where it is now, but it was written during CC’s freshman-sophomore year. There’s a few quotes from her past teammates stating that CC wouldn’t pass them the ball during practice because “I’m going to make the shot. You won’t.” This upset some of her teammates with that attitude, and she eventually grew out of it. Now her teammates seem to really like her and even joke about their practices sometimes.

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. She is so bad that arenas fill to capacity to see her play. She is so bad that Nike gave her a $28 million contract. Man is she bad.....

Reaction Score
arike is great? interesting take.

everybody is entitled to an opinion.
I should have put air quotes around “great”. Not my idea of great, but many do just look at offensive stats.

Reaction Score
I happen to watch some of the last two Dallas games (mainly to see Lou) and as I was watching Arike shoot I was instantly reminded off Clark. Sure, Clark will probably be better than Arike, but as I was watching the mixed bag that is Arike (they lose or win by her shooting especially if her core isn't there), I realized why I am not a big Clark fan. Sure Clark is great, but I am not a fan of her "team" attitude especially when her team is losing. It my opinion Arike and Clark had similar attitudes about padding stats.

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. She is so bad that arenas fill to capacity to see her play. She is so bad that Nike gave her a $28 million contract. Man is she bad.....
Never said she was bad lol. However I don’t think she’s a team player and her fourth quarter tonight was more evidence of that imo. You can be a great entertaining basketball player and still not be a great team player.

Reaction Score
I happen to watch some of the last two Dallas games (mainly to see Lou) and as I was watching Arike shoot I was instantly reminded off Clark. Sure, Clark will probably be better than Arike, but as I was watching the mixed bag that is Arike (they lose or win by her shooting especially if her core isn't there), I realized why I am not a big Clark fan. Sure Clark is great, but I am not a fan of her "team" attitude especially when her team is losing. It my opinion Arike and Clark had similar attitudes about padding stats.
That is waay off!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom