Paging (Part 2): Navigate Research! | The Boneyard

Paging (Part 2): Navigate Research!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Because why wait until May to release your findings? Because there is no need for a FOI request here on the Boneyard! Most importantly, because I have a very generous wife who "allows" me this much time to gather and communicate this stuff 'out there'! :)

• ABOUT NAVIGATE RESEARCH

Sports and Entertainment Research, Measurement and Analysis Experts

Navigate is the industry leader in evaluating and measuring marketing investments, primarily in sports and entertainment. Based in Chicago, Navigate helps clients determine the value of their partnerships and understand how they are performing.

Navigate has measured the impact and ROI of hundreds of sponsorship deals and has valued billions of dollars in sponsorship transactions on behalf of brands, properties, universities and agencies.

Navigate Research
Chicago Office
811 W. Evergreen Ave. Suite 201
Chicago, IL 60642
P: (312) 762.7474F: (312) 262.7668
info@navigateresearch.com
http://www.navigateresearch.com

READING NOTE: SCROLL FROM THE BOTTOM UP (Please excuse the messy numbers and lack of editing)

1. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 18m18 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference In the past 3 drafts, UConn had 9 players drafted. More than Tex (5), Aub (7), Mich (7), Tenn (7) and Mia (8)

2. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 22m22 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConnFootball also has the most alumni in the NFL of ANY G5 program, incl Notre Dame http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000531745/article/college-programs-with-the-most-alums-on-nfl-week-1-rosters…

3. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 23m23 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference During its infancy FBS period (02-10), @UConnFootball went 65-46, 5 bowl games, 1 BCS game.

4. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 27m27 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference Since moving up to FBS, @UConnFootball is 86-86 & has a better record than Cuse, UNC, Duke, IU, Zona, UK, KU.

5. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 32m32 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn ...BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis, Boise St all have ZERO NCs during this same stretch.

6. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 33m33 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn ...7 NC ties USC, Stanford, Oregon, Florida, Alabama, Ohio St and Penn St for most titles in this time

7. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 35m35 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn http://thisisuconncountry.com/2016/02/results-prove-uconn-athletics-among-nations-elite-programs/… Since 1/1/11, UConn has won 7 National Championships...

8. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 39m39 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn is the UNQUESTIONED #1 draw in its own DMA (#30). UH, UC, UCF, USF, & Memphis cannot say the same
  9. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 44m44 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn is Connecticut's state flagship, with over 230,000 alumni. Many live between Boston and New York.

10. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 45m45 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn @PWStadium ...those additional acres can be used to easily accommodate a quick expansion to 55K.

11. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 47m47 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn In exchange for @PWStadium naming rights, UTC generously donated 25 acres of additional parking land.

12. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 48m48 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn Amongst the facilities is @PWStadium. Capacity is 40K w/footings already in place to expand by 10-15K.

13. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 49m49 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn has some of the best facilities in the country. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/facilities/

14. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 51m51 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn & @SNYtv have a tremendous relationship. Needless to say, ratings have soared. http://today.uconn.edu/2012/12/uconn-huskies-surge-in-popularity-on-sny/…

15. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 53m53 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn football, men's basketball and women's basketball is aired on @SNYtv, which can be seen in NY,NJ,CT,PA

16. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 57m57 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn vs @OU_Athletics drew 10.2M TVs in 2011 Fiesta Bowl. The number almost doubled UH/FSU '15 Peach Bowl.

17. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 60m60 minutes ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn ...the St Pete Bowl number ties the more "sexy" game (according to pre-game leads) Aub/Memphis.

18. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn ...that number ranks 3rd in the AAC behind VT/Tulsa (Frank Beamer's final game) and UH/FSU (Peach)...

19. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn Despite an 11am kickoff on 12/26, UConn drew 2.4M TVs for its 2015 St Pete Bowl...

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
  20. @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference Also in 2010, @UConn and @Nike signed an apparel contract that currently ranks as #1 in the AAC (2.775M/yr).

21. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference In 2010, @UConn signed a 10yr/$80M contract / @UConnIMGSports. Falls within P5 value http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2010/12/20101206/SBJ-In-Depth/Asampling-Of-Recently-Signed-Multimedia-Rights-Deals.aspx…

22. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn 2014 brand value was $72M. #1 of all G5 members by over $13M (#2 BYU). http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
  23. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn @UConnFootball is a Top 5 followed program in New York & Boston. Page 7: http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1….

24. Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
    @Navigate_Res @Big12Conference @UConn brings 11.4M TV homes within a 2 hour radius, #1 by FAR amongst all G5 schools (including BYU).

Reaction Score
From the same people that brought you that, you can blame them for this...

UConn’s success clouds Big Ten pick

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/375050

Yet perhaps nothing matters more than location, location, location. The Big Ten is all in on its biggest bet in decades.

“The Big Ten is not expecting Rutgers to be Ohio State, or expecting New York to be Chicago,” said Jeff Nelson, an analyst at Navigate Research, a Chicago firm that helps schools determine their market value.

“But it’s at least a foot in the door in that market and it was the best available option. Even with a program like UConn being the basketball power it is, the Big Ten would still pick Rutgers for the long term.”

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Good effort Dooley. But I really think they ought to have all of that info at hand already. At least I hope so.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good effort Dooley. But I really think they ought to have all of that info at hand already. At least I hope so.

I would hope that they do too...but this isn't a time to assume anything. The phrase "UConn was in ink" is on the forefront of my brain and always will be until we are finally tapped. :)

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I would hope that they do too...but this isn't a time to assume anything. The phrase "UConn was in ink" is on the forefront of my brain and always will be until we are finally tapped. :)
That line was history being written by the winners. Besides, ACC had all the info too. Politics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That line was history being written by the winners. Besides, ACC had all the info too. Politics.
Marketing, sales, closing a deal, etc. is often taking known information and presenting it a way that effectively moves people to a desired action. In business you want to surround yourself with people who figure out how to succeed rather than people who justify what went wrong.

#TeamDooley

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Marketing, sales, closing a deal, etc. is often taking known information and presenting it a way that effectively moves people to a desired action.
Sure, but for the millionth time - we effectively moved UNC, Duke, the tobacco road contingent to the desired action. They were overruled by FSU et al.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure, but for the millionth time - we effectively moved UNC, Duke, the tobacco road contingent to the desired action. They were overruled by FSU et al.
Did we move anyone or did we place too much confidence in the assertion that it was a done a deal and we were next in line?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Did we move anyone or did we place too much confidence in the assertion that it was a done a deal and we were next in line?
Both - we moved the TR contingent, and they were too confident in their own position leading media / others to say it was a done deal...

CL82

Reaction Score
Both - we moved the TR contingent, and they were too confident in their own position leading media / others to say it was a done deal...
Did we move them? How? Which of those program were no votes that we swung?

In the end tobacco road was moved... from UConn to L'ville.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Did we move them? How? Which of those program were no votes that we swung?

In the end tobacco road was moved... from UConn to L'ville.
In the end, FSU and Clemson had all the leverage they needed.

CL82

Reaction Score
In the end, FSU and Clemson had all the leverage they needed.
I agree. They were the ones that needed to be convinced. Still, the fact remains, we swung no one. I think it was a lesson learned by Pres. Herbst and the marketing push we've seen over the last month so may be the visible portion of an iceberg of effort that is going on the Big 12 right now.

This go round UConn was a complete non-starter for the Big 12 and suddenly we're a front runner. I strongly suspect that more than serendipity motivated that change.

Reaction Score
If the ACC had any brains they would immediately offer UConn,and Cinncy
The ACC needs us badly ,they have a huge hole from Va to Boston.
Cinncy is a bigger gamble but it sends a message to the B1G. and helps Louisville sitting in SEC country.

I have hundreds of posts favoring the B1G as a better fit for us ,but I like to think strategically.
Those that say the B1G has time in their side are making a good point.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I agree. They were the ones that needed to be convinced. Still, the fact remains, we swung no one. I think it was a lesson learned by Pres. Herbst and the marketing push we've seen over the last month so may be the visible portion of an iceberg of effort that is going on the Big 12 right now.

This go round UConn was a complete non-starter for the Big 12 and suddenly we're a front runner. I strongly suspect that more than serendipity motivated that change.
I agree with the last part, although I would say that a large part of what we percieve is based on media perception, as was the case with the ACC. And maybe we didn't technically "swing" Duke, UNC, Wake, NC State from no to yes, but I think we had developed relationships with those schools in the leadup, which is an important part of the process despite it not working in our favor that time. The error in not realizing FSU's desires was their (Duke / UNC etc) error, and maybe UConn's error was taking their word for it, which then influenced the media narrative.

Reaction Score
Taking UConn and Houston or Cincy would be a smart move by the ACC. Unfortunately they got stale programs like Cuse and BC and still have to pay them and it kind of ties their hands a bit. Plus the distraction of ND seems to cloud people's judgement and precludes rational decision-making.

Reaction Score
Dooley, I don't have Twitter, but you should send them this:

(A recent market study of the Hartford Market done by Stafford Sports. Lots about UConn. Pages 45-98

http://www.courant.com/real-estate/hc-pdf-hartford-stadium-study-20150219-htmlstory.html

^^^Better to be seen on a PC

STAFFORD SPORTS
Stafford Sports is an independent, nationally recognized company that provides expert consulting and advisory services for sports, entertainment and public assembly venues. Stafford’s Principals have conducted market studies that have led to the successful development of high-profile arenas including the AT&T Center, BB&T Center, Cedar Park Center, Intrust Bank Arena, Moda Center, Oracle Arena, Quicken Loans Arena and the Wells Fargo Center.

Doozies like:
635,000 people aged 20-59 (prime ticket buying age) within 30 minutes of XL
1,600,000 people aged 20-59 within 60 minutes of XL
172,000(35%) within 30 miles makes >100k
416,000(33%) within 60 miles makes >100k
16 Fortune 500 companies in CT 15 now... SMH
Lots of others….

Page 72 on talks a little more about UConn and other major arenas hosting college sports

I'm sure UConn may have already sent it, but it's a great study about our market even if it's empathis on Hartford. At least it shows we're trying to renovate/upgrade our facilties.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If not, every administrator on campus should be fired immediately. I love that Dooley uses his time and energy to fight our battles over the interwebs but God help us if this information, and hopefully a lot more, wasn't long compiled and distributed to conference, networks, etc.

Reaction Score
I agree with the last part, although I would say that a large part of what we percieve is based on media perception

Why do you think the media perception has suddenly changed?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Why do you think the media perception has suddenly changed?
Because reporters like Tramel were talking to people like Boren and Gee. Those two are pro-expansion and at least for a while, were willing to be public about what they thought needed to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom