PAC 12 final offer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 final offer

Reaction Score
Ratings are based on a linear broadcasting model where ESPN and Fox promote games and put them in time slots that basically tell us what and when we should watch. A streaming model will be very different.

Yeah, it’s better to be on linear at this point in time (see Thursday Night football’s switch from Fox to Amazon). I’m not arguing there won’t be a tipping point, but it’s not yet and it can’t be properly exploited with PAC football.

Reaction Score
Big East won a BCS bid, which left UConn in a major conference.

If you can’t keep up, do us all a favor and do not try to play.
The "won" a BCS bid? They kept their BCS bid, which was big. This is why i say the remaining 4 PAC schools should add all the MWC schools. The PAC name is tied to the Power 5 structure which dominates the CFB playoff.

Reaction Score
Athletic reporting $25/school plus incentives to take it to as high as $50/school. Can’t find a link on my phone.

Turning that deal down by the PAC 12 will go down in history as one of the stupidest decisions by any sports league.

Unless there is something I am missing that doesn’t sound terrible except for the fact that you are in hidden Apple.

Reaction Score
The "won" a BCS bid? They kept their BCS bid, which was big. This is why i say the remaining 4 PAC schools should add all the MWC schools. The PAC name is tied to the Power 5 structure which dominates the CFB playoff.

Very true. For the first 2 years of the expanded playoffs anyways. The rules haven't been written for what's to come after that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s better to be on linear at this point in time (see Thursday Night football’s switch from Fox to Amazon). I’m not arguing there will be a tipping point, but it’s not yet and it can’t be properly exploited with PAC football.

The tipping point is coming sooner than you think. The cable company negotiation is already underway where ESPN will get unbundled. Once that happens, ESPN essentially becomes a subscription service.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Unless there is something I am missing that doesn’t sound terrible except for the fact that you are in hidden Apple.

Yeah, who would want to be in business with Apple?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We were so close getting into the B12 until B1G and FOX stepped in at the last sec and took the offer from us at the 11th hour.

It won’t help UConn, but I hope to be able to read about it when Apple makes one or more of ESPN, Fox, the departing PAC 12 schools, the Big 12 or Big 10 bleed from their butt for playing Apple.

Reaction Score
What's interesting about Apple's offer to the Pac 12 is that Apple's Chairman, Arthur Levinson, has a BS from University of Washington and Tim Cook is on the Board of Nike.

Apple's CEO, COO, and SVP of services all have a degree from Duke (one BS and 2 MBAs). The COO also was raised in Raleigh, NC and has a BS from NC State. I would think the ACC should be OK with Apple.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Athletic reporting $25/school plus incentives to take it to as high as $50/school. Can’t find a link on my phone.

Turning that deal down by the PAC 12 will go down in history as one of the stupidest decisions by any sports league.
Yes, as long as their subscriber base doubled the NFL

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How long do you think the big 10 will carry the deadweight once the big linear guarantees end?
This may work itself out. I imagine that at some point there will be a way to identify the subscriber base by school and compensate the individual schools accordingly Then it would be feasible that some schools can earn three, four or five times what the bottom of the conference earns.

Reaction Score
This may work itself out. I imagine that at some point there will be a way to identify the subscriber base by school and compensate the individual schools accordingly Then it would be feasible that some schools can earn three, four or five times what the bottom of the conference earns.
Even so, will any of the metrics come close to justifying what they are currently being paid? Purdue might not be worth 10 mil.

Reaction Score
Even so, will any of the metrics come close to justifying what they are currently being paid? Purdue might not be worth 10 mil.
It’s be better than current model.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you can take your entire athletic department off linear TV and continue to recruit at a level that's required to actually compete for top 25 rankings regularly - even if you are paid a premium for it.

I think the Big East can continue to be a major player in college athletics in spite of the revenue difference to the P4 as long as our the majority of our games are shown on linear TV.

I'd look to re-up with Fox as the primary rights holder and look towards CW as the secondary.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you can take your entire athletic department off linear TV and continue to recruit at a level that's required to actually compete for top 25 rankings regularly - even if you are paid a premium for it.

I think the Big East can continue to be a major player in college athletics in spite of the revenue difference to the P4 as long as our the majority of our games are shown on linear TV.

I'd look to re-up with Fox as the primary rights holder and look towards CW as the secondary.

Linear TV won’t be linear TV for much longer.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Linear TV won’t be linear TV for much longer.

And when the tipping point occurs, hopefully the league hasn't locked into such a long term deal that doesn't allow them to pivot.

I don't think that time is right now though.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
AZ, AZ State & Utah should have taken the B12 offer even if it was $5m less.

B10 was eventually be coming back to the Pac10 schools (OR, WA) in order to get USC & UCLA some proximate neighbors/opponents. It was only a matter of time before the Pac10 was to be destroyed by B10.

If you were not going to be on the B10 short list - then you better take the B12 offer now. Four years from now the B10 would have called & AZ/AZ State/Utah may not have had an offer from B12. Better to be the aggressor.

B10 looks like a generous savior for OR & WA. But they really were the sole group responsible for their "Rose Bowl Partners" untimely demise.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And when the tipping point occurs, hopefully the league hasn't locked into such a long term deal that doesn't allow them to pivot.

I don't think that time is right now though.

I bet the movie and television industries thought they had more time too.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I bet the movie and television industries thought they had more time too.

So your suggesting the Big East go fully non-linear in the hopes that they've precisely timed the point in time which more people consume sports from linear to streaming?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So your suggesting the Big East go fully non-linear in the hopes that they've precisely timed the point in time which more people consume sports from linear to streaming?

Call me crazy, but I think the Internet is here to stay. But if you think linear is the future, you should call Bob Iger. He would definitely offer you a deal for ESPN. Maybe you know better than he does about the future of sports programming.

Reaction Score
It could be done simply by signaling you're a fan of a school when you sign up.

I can't see how/why a fan wouldn't say that.

Reaction Score
Just track which games are actually streamed.
If you could limit that so it can't be gamed like they do on youtube with the same people watching a video over and over and over again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you could limit that so it can't be gamed like they do on youtube with the same people watching a video over and over and over again.

You will have distinct, paying subscribers, like Netflix does. Youtube is free and doesn't even require registration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom