PAC-12 Chaos | Page 16 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think it’s funny. Every time I see it, I immediately think UCF too.
I totally get it but nelson has been on this board specifically for years and I have too, even though after the Louisville fiasco I took a break. It's not like I'm a new poster

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
the odd number game was always our game.

nelson, you know better, you knew the solution would come out of chaos. You know this situation is at the edge of the knife.

Based on leaked reports, that Pac 12 deal is not bad, and they got it from Apple. So I guessed right on that.

The part I got wrong was Colorado caking its pants and panic-jumping to the Big 12 with a solid Pac 12 deal days away. I definitely didn't think that would happen. I assumed when Colorado jumped that there must be no deal or a bad deal pending, and I figured that would start a stampede for the door of the Pac 12. Now, the Pac 9 members are just evaluating the offer like normal people would and figuring out what they want to do in a measured, methodical way. Unlike Colorado.

Now the Pac 9 schools have a decent deal, and Apple is willing to fund 3 schools to be added. That went about as well as it could have for the Pac 9, if initial reports of the Apple deal are to be believed. Since every source is reporting the same thing, that seems likely.

An under-reported aspect of this is that the Pac 9 could be sitting pretty in a few years while everyone else is looking down the barrel of a distressed media partner. Apple has the deepest of deep pockets, and doesn't lose, ever. ESPN's business model is collapsing and its owner is talking about dumping it or trying to get its customers to invest in it. I know who I would prefer to be in business with.

Reaction Score
Based on leaked reports, that Pac 12 deal is not bad, and they got it from Apple. So I guessed right on that.

The part I got wrong was Colorado caking its pants and panic-jumping to the Big 12 with a solid Pac 12 deal days away. I definitely didn't think that would happen. I assumed when Colorado jumped that there must be no deal or a bad deal pending, and I figured that would start a stampede for the door of the Pac 12. Now, the Pac 9 members are just evaluating the offer like normal people would and figuring out what they want to do in a measured, methodical way. Unlike Colorado.

Now the Pac 9 schools have a decent deal, and Apple is willing to fund 3 schools to be added. That went about as well as it could have for the Pac 9, if initial reports of the Apple deal are to be believed. Since every source is reporting the same thing, that seems likely.

An under-reported aspect of this is that the Pac 9 could be sitting pretty in a few years while everyone else is looking down the barrel of a distressed media partner. Apple has the deepest of deep pockets, and doesn't lose, ever. ESPN's business model is collapsing and its owner is talking about dumping it or trying to get its customers to invest in it. I know who I would prefer to be in business with.
I view it differently on each of the opinions you shared above, but that's just me. I think when the PAC deal gets announced/new schools are announced, Colorado's decision and any other school leaving will make sense. We should see "soon".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol!! I've been posting on this board/site for over a decade.....you think I'm a UCF fan?! Lol......how about UConn FootBall Fan as what my name is....
While I actually know that, I do read it as UCF BBall fan pretty much every time, initially. But then again I thought @mauconnfan was Chicom for years.

Reaction Score
While I actually know that, I do read it as UCF BBall fan pretty much every time, initially. But then again I thought @mauconnfan was Chicom for years.
It definitely would help UConn fans' eyeballs/brains if and the b were lowercase.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1) He doesn't know anything. He is basically rehashing message board and twitter theories.

2) He doesn't understand the Pac 12 deal. It is not bad.
Not only is it not as bad as being reported, its also proactive. Who knows, there are probably ways for a school like Oregon to monetize it in ways that can exceed Big 12 deal. Either way, 5 years from now college football may all be dtc and certainly most if not all will be incentive ladden and structured similarly to this. As you suggested in many posts, streaming is the future. If legcy is still around, they will more likely buy games a la carte. If the base payout is high enough, it may buy time for the Pac 9 to take a chance and wait for the dust to settle.

Reaction Score

At first glance the thought he was a UCF fan. The power of lower case.

Reaction Score

I think Colorado is what forced GK to actually get a deal to put on the table.

And everyone in the western world knew that Apple was the main player for the PAC 12.

Reaction Score
It’s mildly infuriating that ESPN, a potential bidder can engage in actively devaluing in something they would bid on. But we live in a free society I guess.

I just think it’s messed up how some of these schools that have been doing fine are now being told that they aren’t valuable since they aren’t good enough to be in the B1G.
It’s called exercising market power. For 30 years successive administrations have sat by and allowed massive media consolidation based on some incredibly short sighted DOJ policy formulations.

Yomark is smart because he knows you survive by accumulating schools nationwide with market value anywhere any everywhere. The mistake they are about to make is listening to Big12 presidents in love with the West Midwest cowboy ethos. That’s not where the media value is beyond a few for late night east coast content. Yomark needs the East to counterweight the Super P2.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
At first glance the thought he was a UCF fan. The power of lower case.
I should also add that when I first joined the BY, UCF was not even a blip on my radar or a school I knew existed. I believe we joined the AAC with them around the same time but never would I have connected my handle with them. But I totally get the confusion. Not changing it now though :p

Reaction Score
Probably a dumb thing to say, but with the deal, would Oregon and UW think about like 70% pay out in the B10. The cash would be alot more then the Apple deal and at least for Oregon, Knight could subsidize the 30%.

Reaction Score
Probably a dumb thing to say, but with the deal, would Oregon and UW think about like 70% pay out in the B10. The cash would be alot more then the Apple deal and at least for Oregon, Knight could subsidize the 30%.
Who says the big 10 will offer that right now? To accept a deal, it has to be presented first.

Reaction Score

What reports are you citing specifically and Canzano doesn’t count as he’s been outed as an OSU shill.

Reaction Score
Not only is it not as bad as being reported, it’s also proactive. Who knows, there are probably ways for a school like Oregon to monetize it in ways that can exceed Big 12 deal. Either way, 5 years from now college football may all be dtc and certainly most if not all will be incentive ladden and structured similarly to this. As you suggested in many posts, streaming is the future. If legcy is still around, they will more likely buy games a la carte. If the base payout is high enough, it may buy time for the Pac 9 to take a chance and wait for the dust to settle.
How is it not as bad as reported ? Consensus reporting is base of 15-20m with subscription escalators that one published analysis shows to be aspirational at worst

Reaction Score
How is it not as bad as reported ? Consensus reporting is base of 15-20m with subscription escalators that one published analysis shows to be aspirational at worst
A base of 20 is a solid foundation. Escalators will be negotiated down. On top of that, can individual schools create own content? A weekly Oregon show w the coach plus a a hard knocks type show can add money to each school quickly. Let’s wait and see the final details. This is the wave of the future. Do the schools realize that and can they turn it into an advantage? A school like Oregon certainly can.

Reaction Score
A base of 20 is a solid foundation. Escalators will be negotiated down. On top of that, can individual schools create own content? A weekly Oregon show w the coach plus a a hard knocks type show can add money to each school quickly. Let’s wait and see the final details. This is the wave of the future. Do the schools realize that and can they turn it into an advantage? A school like Oregon certainly can.
If you had a choice between the Apple deal and the BXII deal, which would you take for UConn?

Reaction Score
If you had a choice between the Apple deal and the BXII deal, which would you take for UConn?
That’s a good question. With a baseline of 20 mil and a commitment of other pac 9 schools, it’s a lot closer than you may think. A school like UConn needs to join the table. A team like Oregon, Washington, and maybe asu is at the table and need to buy time. What type of gor does the big 12 come with? That matters to Oregon.

Reaction Score
The B1G can't add teams until the next contract. There is no pro-rata for additions which means payouts to new schools would come at the expense of existing schools. Can't imagine any B1G schools willing to take a pay cut until the next contract short of adding Alabama or Texas.

Reaction Score
And still they won’t. Apple isn’t stupid.
and neither are the schools. You are discounting the value of length. This will be a short term deal. A 20 mil baseline with some escalator may be enough to buy time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom